Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburn running back Onterio McCalebb makes SEC Top 10 list

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Re: Auburn running back Onterio McCalebb makes SEC Top 10 list
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 12:44:14 PM »
I didn't ever think Matt Jones looked like he ran very fast either but I think our secondary would attest to the fact that he did.

That dude covered 15 yards in 3 steps I think.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 12:49:56 PM »
I'm not all that impressed with Newton's speed. I'm not so sure his promise lies in speed, but more of a Tebow type thing. Tebow wasn't really a blazer, just one big tall tough phuker, thus hard to bring down. Newton's Rivals profile lists him as 6'6" 247 lbs and runs a 4.53 40. I was re-watching a few spring games I had on the DVR the other day, and if that kid runs a 4.5 40, it's the slowest looking 4.5 known to man. He does look to be a hard runner, though. Honestly, I was more impressed with Caudle than Newton.

AJ Green may have something to say about the whole best receiver in the SEC thing. If you're basing it on stat lines alone, I'm not so sure that's the best way to crown somebody the best in the conference. He's good, and I wouldn't mind him playing for Alabama at all, but best in the SEC? Not so sure about that.

I would only guess that Newton runs in the 4.6-4.7 range which should cut it with that body.

As for Green, he has a better upside than Adams perhaps but I don't think he could snare as many in this offense. Not many receivers like the crossing or underneath stuff on a blind run. Those are blue collar areas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 12:53:38 PM »
I'm not all that impressed with Newton's speed. I'm not so sure his promise lies in speed, but more of a Tebow type thing. Tebow wasn't really a blazer, just one big tall tough fucker, thus hard to bring down. Newton's Rivals profile lists him as 6'6" 247 lbs and runs a 4.53 40. I was re-watching a few spring games I had on the DVR the other day, and if that kid runs a 4.5 40, it's the slowest looking 4.5 known to man. He does look to be a hard runner, though. Honestly, I was more impressed with Caudle than Newton.

AJ Green may have something to say about the whole best receiver in the SEC thing. If you're basing it on stat lines alone, I'm not so sure that's the best way to crown somebody the best in the conference. He's good, and I wouldn't mind him playing for Alabama at all, but best in the SEC? Not so sure about that.
Not concerned with what impresses a bammer, but your premise is correct. However, Newton's mobility will bring an extra dimension to the offense.  Rivals 40 times are always suspect.  Any non-electronic 40 time is.  I think Rudi Johnson was touted as a 4.3 guy back in the day.  He's 4.55 on his best day.   Speed doesn't always mean great, nor does lack of world class speed mean no good...Jerry Rice and Emmit Smith were both very avg in 40 times, while Darrius Heyward Bey is a speed demon at 4.3.  

I didn't ever think Matt Jones looked like he ran very fast either but I think our secondary would attest to the fact that he did.
Beat me to the punch...Matt "pass the doobie" Jones was a legit 4.4 guy...at his height, it didn't look the same as a 5-11 RB doing it.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 12:55:24 PM »

Beat me to the punch...Matt "pass the doobiecut me another line" Jones was a legit 4.4 guy...at his height, it didn't look the same as a 5-11 RB doing it.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

jmar

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 01:06:57 PM »
Not concerned with what impresses a bammer, but your premise is correct. However, Newton's mobility will bring an extra dimension to the offense.  Rivals 40 times are always suspect.  Any non-electronic 40 time is.  I think Rudi Johnson was touted as a 4.3 guy back in the day.  He's 4.55 on his best day.   Speed doesn't always mean great, nor does lack of world class speed mean no good...Jerry Rice and Emmit Smith were both very avg in 40 times, while Darrius Heyward Bey is a speed demon at 4.3.  
 Beat me to the punch...Matt "pass the doobie" Jones was a legit 4.4 guy...at his height, it didn't look the same as a 5-11 RB doing it.

I don't believe many 40 times either but it's easy to spot a Matt Jones.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 01:09:05 PM »
I don't believe many 40 times either but it's easy to spot a Matt Jones.

Yes, when they appear to be moving in slow motion, yet every defender on the field seems even slower, they're Matt Jones.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2010, 01:12:30 PM »
Yes, when they appear to be moving in slow motion, yet every defender on the field seems even slower, they're Matt Jones.

Dude was not only fast, but slicker than owl shit too.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2010, 01:24:19 PM »
 I've seen some Okie QBs with a quick burst running by would-be tacklers on the option but it's nothing like the lanky Jones outstriding several with the angle on him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2010, 01:36:02 PM »
Yes, I remember those days. I once, or twice, was hoping that someone with a bat would homerun Matt's knees into the upper deck. The guy could literally get me freaking furious at some football.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2010, 02:01:21 PM »
Matt was a fun player to watch. The drawback was that he saved Houston Nutt from getting fired earlier.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 02:12:22 PM »

I can agree with that. If Newton is in the upper 4 second range, I don't think it's that big of a problem either. Like I said, Tebow wasn't a blazer, he was just a hard runner and one big guy to try and bring down. That has it's own upside, to an extent. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 02:13:47 PM »
Matt was a fun player to watch. The drawback was that he saved Houston Nutt from getting fired earlier.

McFadden and Jones did too...too bad the guy couldn't recruit and his great players kept saving him from being fired.   :blink:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2010, 02:56:31 PM »
McFadden and Jones did too...too bad the guy couldn't recruit and his great players kept saving him from being fired.   :blink:
Can one of you real barristers here help line this public defender out?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2010, 03:04:29 PM »
Can one of you real barristers here help line this public defender out?

I'll take sense of humor for $1000 Alex.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
I'll take sense of humor for $1000 Alex.

I'll take The Rapists for $500.00.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2010, 03:44:27 PM »
I'll take Jap Anus relations for $200 Alex.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2010, 03:50:32 PM »
Not in the "R's"? That's not what your mother said.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2010, 04:15:54 PM »
I'll try Famous Hor Semen for $400.

The day is mine, Trebek.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2010, 04:56:09 PM »
WAIT!
That there was a pip. I want everyone to start trying a little bit harder around here like Mr. JR4AU.
Mr. boartitz flung out that doosie and JR dressed it up for show. I'm starting to like this innernets thing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2010, 05:02:18 PM »
WAIT!
That there was a pip. I want everyone to start trying a little bit harder around here like Mr. JR4AU.
Mr. boartitz flung out that doosie and JR dressed it up for show. I'm starting to like this innernets thing.
This innerwebs thing is serious business.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions