Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Another Trend Downward

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Another Trend Downward
« on: September 26, 2024, 12:23:33 PM »
I guess this is the newest trend now.  First, we got the transfer portal, which is totally unregulated free agency.  Then came NIL, which took the free agency dealio to super steroid level. Next, the courts ruled that Universities/Athletic Departments had to set money aside to pay the athletes.  I’ve seen some earmarking as much as $22 million. Folks, this is all in the span of a 3-4 year period.

I’m hearing now about the starting QB at UNLV, Matt Sluka, “opting out” of the rest of the year.  He transferred in from Holy Cross and has led the Rebels to a 3-0 record.  But now, he says he was verbally promised $100K to transfer, but the UNLV collective hasn’t delivered.  All UNLV parties deny it.  But Sluka is done.  Today, I read about Bear Alexander, who was a 5* D-lineman that signed with FUGA, but transferred to USC.  He starts twatting things like “Free90”, and the guy purported to be his father, is also twatting that Bear is opting out because, the plan was for him to be a full time starter, but Bear has only played about a third of the snaps on defense. So, Bear is shutting it down, and done for the season.

The key here is quitting before they play in another game, so they can “redshirt” and not lose a year of eligibility.  You can put the Chicken Little title on me, but I’ll repeat my stance, that college football is on it’s way out.  Maybe it survives because of the untold billions that flow through the sport.  That’s why the NFL, despite losing record amounts of revenue and fans after the whole kneeling issue, looked at it as a blip on the screen.  Too big to really put a dent in that monster.  What we are about to see in college football are collective bargaining agreements, players unions, lockouts, protests, walkouts etc.  It’s coming, much sooner than later, and any perceived remaining purity of such a tradition rich sport, will be gone forever. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Another Trend Downward
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2024, 02:57:54 PM »
It's gotta have bounds around it. Legal contracts like pro sports. Else it's the wild Wild West. Thats where we are. Except these are 17-23 year olds, many with handlers. Which is even worse than an ego driven 30 year old NFL player.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM »
It's gotta have bounds around it. Legal contracts like pro sports. Else it's the wild Wild West. Thats where we are. Except these are 17-23 year olds, many with handlers. Which is even worse than an ego driven 30 year old NFL player.

I don’t see a good ending.

Maybe schools separate into two categories, semi pro and amateur. Amateur signs a contract to play for a full ride plus a little money. Semi pro rots in hell….
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2024, 03:41:28 PM »
For the portal mess, I think scholarships need to be guaranteed for 2 years, and you a held to that commitment for those 2 years (meaning you can't enter the portal until after your Sophomore year)..  Unless the head coach leaves (fired, quits, takes a new job, whatever).  In that case you can transfer, but where ever you go, you are committed to for 2 years.

As far as the mess with the UNLV QB..  I have no idea who promised what, but #1, he should have gotten whatever was promised in writing.  I suspect it was an assistant coach who said something in passing trying to get the kid to commit.

But he may be fucking himself in the long run, would you take him after this?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2024, 03:58:31 PM »

But he may be fucking himself in the long run, would you take him after this?

1- We took Freeze
2- Does he throw interceptions?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jmar

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2024, 04:44:45 PM »
I still think Hank will throw less picks than Bo Wallace over a three year career if that's any consolation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions