Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Freezing to Death

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Freezing to Death
« on: September 22, 2024, 02:58:16 PM »
I really don't want to say anything.  But... something has to change. You know I don't like Freeze. I made that clear. I don't like him as a person. I think he's a fraud. I don't like him as a coach. I think he's a charlatan, living off a decades old rep. I was out for that reason.

I went to the game yesterday. Every reservation I had was on display. 

From the pregame on the ridiculous Jacobs' TV where the players were in a chiller with frosty smoke all around, to the snowflake backgrounds on that same giant TV to the freaking stadium cups that celebrated this sham of a man. It's too much. What are we celebrating, really?  What has he done here - or anywhere - to deserve the whole "freeze warning" schtick?  It's embarrassing and it's NOT Auburn. Maybe he isn't part of those decisions. Likely he isn't. But it's bad, whoever is doing it. And it needs to stop. 

I lived through Barfield.  I lived through the Bowdwen implosion. I lived through the Jay Jacobs' fueled demolition of Tuberville. I lived through Chizik, through the decline of Gus, through Horskin.  I don't have any teeth left from being kicked in them so often. Other than Harkness? Never really felt a sense of complete despair.  Auburn would always bounce back. We'd fight to the last drop of blood. We'd leave our guts on the field. That's who we were.

I'm not sure I feel that any more. There's still a chance he will prove me wrong, but I don't see it. Freeze was a horrific choice. There's zero excuse for the lack of preparation, the lack of execution, the lack of intensity, the lack of desire I saw on display by the offense yesterday.  There was NO gameplan!  No sense of attacking what Arkansas was giving. Just run these random plays. Run them poorly.

This team is not going to a bowl. It could very well end up 3-9. It's destined for a fourth straight losing season. If my history is correct, you have to go all the way back to 1946-50 to find a similarly dismal trail.  Since Ralph Jordan's second team in 1952 went 2-8, only two Auburn coaches have posted three-win seasons.  Bowden in 1998 (FIRED) and Chizik in 2012 (FIRED).

It's not that I only care about Auburn when we're winning. That's blatantly false. I LOVED Auburn during some of our darkest days. I still love AU. Always will. But what I saw Saturday?  The current generation will not have that Auburn to love. The fight that drew me to Auburn, the heart... I didn't see it. 

I have great affection for the people I've met here and even the ones I've known for decades but never seen in person. I was so grateful to rectify some of that Saturday and cannot say enough about the gracious and welcoming tailgate I was fortunate enough to attend. Auburn is good people.

Good people do not deserve this absolute fraud driving our program into the ground.  What I saw Saturday is momentum-killing ineptitude, the likes of which could (and likely will) have all these "recruits" running for other opportunities.

I have no answers.  I know recruiting matters, but if there's one thing I've learned over the last decade, it doesn't always matter. Look at A&M. Recruits out the wazoo and a middling program at best.  Right now, Auburn aspires to middling.

It was disheartening in a way that words can never capture.

Hugh Freeze is a phony.  Unfortunately, I don't think he's going anywhere even if this team does finish 3-9. We're stuck with this huckster for another year or two.  Meanwhile? The program we love is freezing to death.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2024, 04:09:46 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Re: Freezing to Death
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2024, 08:37:28 AM »
Auburn has not fielded a functional offense since 2017 and that one was power zone and bubble screens. Unreal run of mediocre scheme.

You’ve heard of “Power Spread?” Well, Auburn specializes in “Scared Spread.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2024, 10:36:13 AM »
Well, a decade plus of dysfunction continues.  Since 2013, this program has not had a year with less than 4 losses, and that streak will surely continue in 2024. It’s frustrating because we know full well what this program is capable of.  We’ve been to the mountain top of college football, and planted the flag, and came within an eyelash of doing it again, all within a 3 year period.  Relatively speaking, that’s fairly recent history.

Hugh Freeze said very plainly before this season that we’re still a couple of recruiting classes away from being able to compete for anything meaningful. However, we’re fans, and we want it now.  In one sense, that’s unrealistic, but we also have a right to be frustrated with what we’re seeing on the field.  While we have a ways to go in some areas, namely the offensive line, we’ve got 2 anemic looking losses, not because of a talent disparity, but because of horrible turnovers, plain and simple.

In each of the two losses, the QB’s have thrown 4 interceptions, and the backs have had fumbles at crucial times. As GH said, eliminate even half of those, and we’re 4-0 going into the biggest game we’ve had on the Planez in quite some time.   But here we are at 2-2, wondering if we’ll even make it to 5 or 6 wins this season. 

These coaches are not idiots.  They’ve all been there, done that, and I have a sneaky suspicion that they’re doing a little more in practice than just saying, “Oh, and try not to throw the ball to the other team.  And if you’re being tackled, hold the ball a little tighter.  Mmmkthx.” I’m not a coach, so I honestly don’t know how you fix the fact that a QB can do everything right in practice, and he goes full retard when the lights come on.  And everybody knows, you never go full retard.

Freeze isn’t going anywhere, anytime soon.  We’re all going to ride it out with this staff until it gets fixed, or it doesn’t.  I still have total faith that it will get worked out and we’ll be a playoff contender, sooner than later.  If he doesn’t get us there, then the powers that be, will make another change.  I’m too old to bust a vein worrying about it.  BTW, I had a great time at the tailgate Saturday.  That was a lot better than the crappy game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2024, 10:58:31 AM »
Well, a decade plus of dysfunction continues.  Since 2013, this program has not had a year with less than 4 losses, and that streak will surely continue in 2024. It’s frustrating because we know full well what this program is capable of.  We’ve been to the mountain top of college football, and planted the flag, and came within an eyelash of doing it again, all within a 3 year period.  Relatively speaking, that’s fairly recent history.

Hugh Freeze said very plainly before this season that we’re still a couple of recruiting classes away from being able to compete for anything meaningful. However, we’re fans, and we want it now.  In one sense, that’s unrealistic, but we also have a right to be frustrated with what we’re seeing on the field.  While we have a ways to go in some areas, namely the offensive line, we’ve got 2 anemic looking losses, not because of a talent disparity, but because of horrible turnovers, plain and simple.

In each of the two losses, the QB’s have thrown 4 interceptions, and the backs have had fumbles at crucial times. As GH said, eliminate even half of those, and we’re 4-0 going into the biggest game we’ve had on the Planez in quite some time.   But here we are at 2-2, wondering if we’ll even make it to 5 or 6 wins this season. 

These coaches are not idiots.  They’ve all been there, done that, and I have a sneaky suspicion that they’re doing a little more in practice than just saying, “Oh, and try not to throw the ball to the other team.  And if you’re being tackled, hold the ball a little tighter.  Mmmkthx.” I’m not a coach, so I honestly don’t know how you fix the fact that a QB can do everything right in practice, and he goes full retard when the lights come on.  And everybody knows, you never go full retard.

Freeze isn’t going anywhere, anytime soon.  We’re all going to ride it out with this staff until it gets fixed, or it doesn’t.  I still have total faith that it will get worked out and we’ll be a playoff contender, sooner than later.  If he doesn’t get us there, then the powers that be, will make another change.  I’m too old to bust a vein worrying about it.  BTW, I had a great time at the tailgate Saturday.  That was a lot better than the crappy game.

Re: Coaching

2019 Ed Orgeron was a genius.
Hiring Joe Brady was like catching lighning in a bottle with Cam Newton. 2018 Ed Orgeron also had Joe Burrow and he couldn't sling it around, only about 58%.They leaned on defense, running game and picked their spots to throw.
They went 10-3.
Not saying we are like them.
Saying we have to play to our strengths. We have talent.
Lean on these three backs. Blend in some passes ala Gus with Stidham.
Learn to win as a team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2024, 11:08:33 AM »
We will get there as long as the harping Harsin crowd can be patient.
We were decimated. We are rebuilding through good recruiting. But you can't use the portal to build and entire team.
Our OL and DL is a patchwork of non P5 players. Its OK to add 1, maybe 2. But we are full of them.

QB. Big whiff on PT. I do like what I see from Hank. We knew the first SEC game would be tough. We didn't expect two lucky INTs and a fumble in the endzone tough. Only one INT was a bad read. So I say we go with Hank and take our lumps.

Eliminate the turnovers and we are 4-0. We look like a team that was just throw together. And that is what we are.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2024, 11:20:35 AM »
We were decimated. We are rebuilding through good recruiting. But you can't use the portal to build and entire team.
Our OL and DL is a patchwork of non P5 players. Its OK to add 1, maybe 2. But we are full of them.

QB. Big whiff on PT. I do like what I see from Hank. We knew the first SEC game would be tough. We didn't expect two lucky INTs and a fumble in the endzone tough. Only one INT was a bad read. So I say we go with Hank and take our lumps.

Eliminate the turnovers and we are 4-0. We look like a team that was just throw together. And that is what we are.

We look worse than last year with a supposedly more talented roster. We do deserve better as fans. 4 games in, it’s looking like a 3-9 or 4-8 season. Hard to be patient when it’s the same song, different verse every season.

I’m not in the fire Hugh camp yet. But he better coach his ass off the rest of the season. No more disinterested throw away seasons after he was afforded that luxury last year to recruit.

Best part was the tailgate for sure.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2024, 11:43:46 AM »

Devils advocate:
We are NOT “a couple of recruiting cycles” from competing with Arkansas and Cal. 

Alabama? Georgia? Texas?  Sure.  Make that excuse.  I’ll buy it.  Not for what I saw Saturday though.

I’m back out. Gonna detach. Better that way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2024, 11:58:52 AM »

I'm right there witcha' on Hank.  I was surprised to see Thorne in the second half.  I thought they'd go in at half and work on some corrections, and see if he could settle down the rest of the way.  We know full well what we've got in Thorne, and playing him does nothing to get ready for 2025.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2024, 12:10:48 PM »
If you watched Tennessee at Oklahoma you know the Sooners have a good defense.
But their offense made UTs defense look like the '95 Bears.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2024, 01:18:10 PM »
If you watched Tennessee at Oklahoma you know the Sooners have a good defense.
But their offense made UTs defense look like the '95 Bears.

Or even the '85 Bears.

Mark my words now, Nick Iamaleava is going to win a Heisman at UT. When he sets his feet and. throws, that dude can hum it.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

jmar

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2024, 01:23:09 PM »
Or even the '85 Bears.

Mark my words now, Nick Iamaleava is going to win a Heisman at UT. When he sets his feet and. throws, that dude can hum it.

I'm gonna call you the correctionist.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2024, 02:55:08 PM »
I'm gonna call you the correctionist.

You can call me Al.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2024, 03:07:01 PM »
You can call me Al.

Why am I soft in the middle?
The rest of my life is so hard...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2024, 03:22:09 PM »
Why am I soft in the middle?
The rest of my life is so hard...

Okay Betty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2024, 03:26:52 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2024, 04:11:57 PM »
Ahhhh... Sweaty Betty in beautiful Oceanside, California....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2024, 04:37:32 PM »
Ahhhh... Sweaty Betty in beautiful Oceanside, California....

That the same Betty who had a child...damn thang gone wild?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2024, 06:01:08 PM »
Amberlamps
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2024, 09:33:22 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions