Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Great Players Rarely Make Good Managers...

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Great Players Rarely Make Good Managers...
« on: August 21, 2024, 07:27:10 PM »
It's a pretty consistent theme in baseball. Great players hardly ever become great managers. It's those guys who just hung around or who had serviceable careers who end up being the best managers in the game. You don't see George Brett, Mike Schmidt, Strawberry, Ripken, Griffey, Ricky Henderson, Gwynn or those guys in major managerial roles. The theory is that the really good players were blessed with such raw natural talent that it's difficult for them to understand the struggle and relate to players who don't possess those attributes. 

I was reminded of this today when I ran across Jeopardy for the first time since Alex Trebek died.  I just haven't watched it. 

This Jennings guy is horrible. He had a creepy demeanor when he was a contestant. That weird quirkiness is amplified here as host. He's snarky without meaning to be. Condescending with no real sense of how to do it with humor (something Trebek mastered). His voice is nasal and high pitched. It makes him hard to understand. His cadence is off. He rushes his words. His mannerisms and facial expressions are odd.

He was a great contestant, a really good player. He just isn't a good host. Jeopardy would have done better to look outside past champions to find someone to carry Alex's torch.  There's no game-show host stable like there was in the 80s (Bob Barker, Bob Eubanks, Wink Martindale, Gene Rayburn, Bill Cullen, etc.) to draw from. But there must have been better choices than this.  The people who used to do the video categories were good.  People like Lester Holt would be solid. I would have backed Levar Burton, even. 

This guy?  He's a weird nerd.  He's kind of a jerk. I don't see how he has the personality to sustain the show long term. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Great Players Rarely Make Good Managers...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2024, 09:17:23 PM »
Think the days of Alex, Pat, Bob are over. Pat was the last of an era this year. His daughter? Yessir. I could look at her every night if when she replaces Vanna.

Drew Carey is “ok” on price is right. But it just ain’t quite the same. I watch it for nostalgia and the games.

Ken Jennings has been a jerk since he was a contestant. Hard pass for me. Haven’t watched since Alex died.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2024, 09:29:59 AM »
Think the days of Alex, Pat, Bob are over. Pat was the last of an era this year. His daughter? Yessir. I could look at her every night if when she replaces Vanna.

Drew Carey is “ok” on price is right. But it just ain’t quite the same. I watch it for nostalgia and the games.

Ken Jennings has been a jerk since he was a contestant. Hard pass for me. Haven’t watched since Alex died.

I think there's a little college football analogy in there too. 

Remember when Alabama wouldn't hire "outside the fambly tree?"  You had to have played for or coached under Brunt to even be considered.

This hire has a similar ring to it.  They catered to the insular "jeopardy dorks" and in doing so, excluded the average viewer who watched just to play along and see what they knew.  Mr. Snark Face kind of ruins that experience.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2024, 09:57:10 AM »
I think there's a little college football analogy in there too. 

Remember when Alabama wouldn't hire "outside the fambly tree?"  You had to have played for or coached under Brunt to even be considered.

This hire has a similar ring to it.  They catered to the insular "jeopardy dorks" and in doing so, excluded the average viewer who watched just to play along and see what they knew.  Mr. Snark Face kind of ruins that experience.

Snake Face.... Lulz
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE