Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

It's All In How You Coach Em'

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: It's All In How You Coach Em'
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2024, 09:50:07 PM »
My school Banks was no different with the water rationing, salt tablets, tobacco spit and face mask yanking. Our head coach took a job as a db assistant under Bryant.  Took as many as 7 players with him in a package deal. Program went to shit after my freshman season bc the area talent was already drying up.

The head coach at Prattvegas before my HC was none other than Mike Dumbose. He was an ass then also. He didn’t like practice one day, so he had the parents pull their cars up beside the practice field and they practiced under the headlights.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2024, 07:58:18 AM »
Snags and CC need to skin those smokewagons and see what happens.

:popcorn:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2024, 08:08:18 AM »
Player has an attorney now…I wonder if they hired a lawyer that cares.

Does this look like a face that cares?

about anything other than race baiting, that is...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2024, 10:20:35 AM »

Listen, mister, I - I'm - I'm - I'm gettin' awful tired of your...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2024, 10:27:07 AM »

To be fair, Snags was talking about baseball. Baseball mane. He talkin bout baseball. Come on. Baseball mane!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2024, 10:32:02 AM »
To be fair, Snags was talking about baseball. Baseball mane. He talkin bout baseball. Come on. Baseball mane!

We talkin' bout practice.  Practice?  Not a game.  Not a game.  We talkin' bout practice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2024, 12:29:35 PM »
I had not thought of salt tablets ....and bad high school coaches in years...

Damn this board, damn this group of (3 day suspension word)!!!

I dreamt of fresh cut grass and pink vomit last night....

"Damn you damn you all to hell"

:shitfan:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I, We, They.....The Illuminati

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2024, 12:36:27 PM »
Don’t forget those horse sized electrolyte pills they forced on us.
At least that’s what they called them. I’m not so sure now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted funny:
eagleair89,
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2024, 01:03:34 PM »
Don’t forget those horse sized electrolyte pills they forced on us.
At least that’s what they called them. I’m not so sure now.

That was the Agent Orange they used to track you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted funny:
eagleair89,
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2024, 03:34:20 PM »
I feel for coaches these days. 

When I was coaching one of my stated goals was to push kids beyond what they thought they could do. Sometimes that took challenging them, not backing down when they bowed up on you, and making them almost hate you at some point. Different kids took different tactics. Some only responded to negative reinforcement, that drill sergeant mentality almost. Like Officer and a Gentleman. Mayo finally figures it out. Sgt. Foley didn't hate him, he just tore him down to build him up.

I hated my high school baseball coach for the first year or two I played for him.  He rode my butt constantly. Nothing I did was good enough. But he made me work harder than I ever would have on my own. I'd practice at home after practice because I wanted to be better and prove him wrong. He made me a better player. He made me a stronger man. I can see that now as much as I initially resented it. I was fortunate enough to get to tell him that several years ago. His response?  "What kind of coach, what kind of mentor would i be if I let you waste the potential you had?"

How do you do that now?  How do you drive kids and push them beyond their limits?  Sometimes the chowderheads NEED to have a knot jerked in them. They need to have that facemask yanked to get their attention. They need to do pushups in the mud until they collapse. It's not abuse. It's character.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2024, 04:47:25 PM »
I feel for coaches these days. 

When I was coaching one of my stated goals was to push kids beyond what they thought they could do. Sometimes that took challenging them, not backing down when they bowed up on you, and making them almost hate you at some point. Different kids took different tactics. Some only responded to negative reinforcement, that drill sergeant mentality almost. Like Officer and a Gentleman. Mayo finally figures it out. Sgt. Foley didn't hate him, he just tore him down to build him up.

I hated my high school baseball coach for the first year or two I played for him.  He rode my butt constantly. Nothing I did was good enough. But he made me work harder than I ever would have on my own. I'd practice at home after practice because I wanted to be better and prove him wrong. He made me a better player. He made me a stronger man. I can see that now as much as I initially resented it. I was fortunate enough to get to tell him that several years ago. His response?  "What kind of coach, what kind of mentor would i be if I let you waste the potential you had?"

How do you do that now?  How do you drive kids and push them beyond their limits?  Sometimes the chowderheads NEED to have a knot jerked in them. They need to have that facemask yanked to get their attention. They need to do pushups in the mud until they collapse. It's not abuse. It's character.

Agreed on all of this, especially the first line. Kids are just different today.  Totally different mindset.  And it's about to get even worse, as NIL is already here.

Now, the Hoover coaches?  Total dumbasses! That went way beyond snatching a kid up by the facemask and getting in his face.  Ripped the helmet off and knocked the shit out of one player, then dry humped the face of another, knowing full well every second of it is on video.  Too stupid to run a program like that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2024, 05:54:14 PM »
My head coach told me I had a bad attitude. I agreed, told him we had a bad team and named off the handful of players that would battle to win. He could have pushed us harder but I grew up around most of those guys and it wouldn't have mattered. And that was the only conversation he and I ever had. He ended up being the HC at Jax State for a few seasons.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Damn Six

• Pale Rider
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2024, 07:04:03 PM »
Agreed on all of this, especially the first line. Kids are just different today.  Totally different mindset.

Kids are the same.  It’s the adults that have fucked things up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Kaos,
No reactions
“If you're waitin' for a woman to make up her mind, you may have a long wait.” Preacher

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2024, 07:44:38 PM »

Can I get an amen!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2024, 08:32:56 PM »

Beautifully said.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2024, 11:57:19 PM »
The Coaches ain’t coaching their parents.

Amen?

Doesn’t matter who failed the kids. The Coaches have the kids every day, not the parents. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2024, 09:27:58 AM »
The Coaches have the kids every day, not the parents.

wut?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2024, 09:41:47 AM »
wut?

You said it. I am not disagreeing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

War Damn Six

• Pale Rider
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2024, 10:54:31 AM »
wut?

He’s an old.  He gets confused.  We’ve seen it happen to the best. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
“If you're waitin' for a woman to make up her mind, you may have a long wait.” Preacher

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2024, 11:25:33 AM »
The Coaches ain’t coaching their parents.

Amen?

Doesn’t matter who failed the kids. The Coaches have the kids every day, not the parents.

I’m gonna go ahead and kinda disagree with you there. 

The parents are the worst.  Some examples from my real life experience (20+ years ago)

> Meeting in the principals office with Lena’s mom.  Lena, an 8th grader, wasn’t getting enough playing time.  She was the best second baseman on the team but I was playing a senior over her for no reason.  Well. Lena can’t hit and doesn’t field well. She’s never in position. She’s learning the game the way I want her to play.  Mom: well her Dixie league coach said she is the best player he’s ever seen.  Her Dixie coach is her uncle.  Principal? Tells me to play her more to placate mom. 

> I’ve got a dad climbing the fence in the outfield to countermand the instructions I’ve given his daughter on where I want her positioned.  I’ve got moms behind the backstop countermanding my instructions on batting stances, when to take pitches. I’ve got moms changing the pitch calls I send to my pitchers.  All them former Dixie league “assistant coaches” who know more than I do.  And we were winning doing what I said.  I took a program with a total of five wins over the previous four seasons and went 16-4 our first season. All four losses came to two teams, both of which made the state tourney in their classification. But the parents meddled constantly.  I had to institute a running penalty for every player who told me “but my daddy says…”

> In football we constantly had parents coming out of the stands to demand playing time for their kid, to question position assignments, to criticize play calls - and we were winning. Big.

Parents were the worst. They trap kids in the middle. 

Granted, I never humped a defensive back’s face. That’s out of bounds.  But I did drag a few kids by the facemask or shoulder pads.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions