Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

It's All In How You Coach Em'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
It's All In How You Coach Em'
« on: August 07, 2024, 11:17:51 AM »
I know we have some old school peeps on here that played sports in a little different time, with regard to how coaches treated players and ran their programs.  I only played football through 10th grade, mainly because my high school team, Jeff Davis, now JAG or some shit, was absolutely loaded with talent, and I was a 150 pound tackling dummy.  Looking back, I can name at least 7 guys that went D1 football, including Auburn QB, Charlie Trotman, Arkansas RB, Thomas Brown, Alabama OT, Mike Brock and Fuck Georgia OG, James Brown.  I love me some football, but it didn’t take me long to realize that baseball was more to my liking.

Back then, coaches in all sports had far more leeway to handle players the way they saw fit.  Had one baseball coach, at a rival school, get so pissed at one of his players for intentionally knocking his helmet off when he ran the bases, that he stopped a scrimmage game, and walked out to second base and wrapped tape around his helmet and chin just to prove a point.  My own high school baseball coach was legendary for his rants, and you’d better stand clear when he walked towards the batting helmets, because he’d use them for field goal practice when he got pissed, and you just might be the goal post.  It was common place for a football coach to grab your face mask and either “steer you” to where you were supposed to be, or merely to make sure they had your undivided attention while offering constructive, positive reinforcement.

I know that coaches are no less intense today than they were back in my era, but the environment is different in what you can and can’t do.  Plus, everything is on teh videos these days, including things that happen at practice in Hoover, Alabama.  If you haven’t seen those videos, actually taken by staff while filming practice, you should.  They show why Head Coach, Drew Gilmer, and an assistant are on administrative leave.  Not sure if it was Gilmer, or the assistant, or both who 1. Ripped a player’s helmet off, 2. Knocked a player to the ground, and 3. Dry humped a player’s face while he was on all fours.

I’m gonna’ guess Coach Gilmer will soon be just, Drew Gilmer.  Anybody have, or anyone see some crazy corching “techniques” while you played whatever sport?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

chinook

Re: It's All In How You Coach Em'
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2024, 11:55:45 AM »
tl;dr
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2024, 12:03:06 PM »
I came up in the "water is for <three day suspension>" days. 

Three hour baseball practice and there was one water break in the middle which consisted of a hose with holes cut in it stretched across two poles. It was like a herd of puppies trying to get at the hose mama's teats when that happened.

Salt pills/tablets were the remedy. 

Water/gatorade in the dugout? Yeah, but consumption was limited. Didn't want any players waterlogged. Can't play when you're sloshing around. 

My coach had a legendary temper. I remember one game I was batting and fouled one off that curled over the elementary school that was on the first base side, way past the fence and some dividing trees. I stood at the plate and watched the ball sail onto the roof of the elementary school.  Then I heard this unholy roar behind me. Coach erupted from the dugout, tobacco spit flying out of his mouth, looking like a George Brett tornado, screaming "WE RUN FOUL BALLS OUT HERE, YOU <three day suspension>!! DON'T YOU HAVE ANY PRIDE??"  Dude got right in my face, chewed me out, pulled me out of the game mid-at-bat and I got to sit the bench for a while so I could ponder my clear lack of pride.

It wasn't that. I was just lazy. And slow. I needed to save my energy for times when the ball was in play.

FOOTBALL?  I only lasted one spring.  We didn't have the pee wee leagues or any of that. 9th grade (8th if you were really good) was the first exposure. JV team.  Our coach - a notable drunk - got mad at the varsity with about a week to go before the spring game.  So we lined up in tackling drills. These drills consisted of us junior high cannon fodder standing basically still while the varsity got a five yard head start to "learn how to tackle."  We were getting obliterated.

I got matched with a senior linebacker. Black kid who outweighed me by at least 25 pounds of muscle. Headhunter type. It was like a car crash every time he hit me. And every time, drunken coach would scream at him for "doing it wrong" and we'd go again. 

About the fifth time, sick of getting annihilated, when he hit me I drew my knees up and got him in the groin and guts. Took the fire out of him.  Unfortunately when he recovered, it was payback time. This time when he hit me, he went helmet to facemask. While I was on the ground seeing stars, he stuck his hand into my facemask and gouged my eyes.  Sliced my eyelid in half. 

I had to go to the doctor, get stitches, wear a bandage over the whole thing.  Doc said I could not practice or play until it healed.  Coach?  "If you can't play in the spring game, we got no use for you. That's the rules. I'll cut you in the fall." 

Thus ended the potential football career of what might have been the white Cam Newton.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2024, 12:08:15 PM »
I had former Coach Dye WR, Dale Overton as a head coach at one point. He was tough, but fair. Didn’t play favorites on the field. We drank hot water from a pvc pipe with holes drilled in it.  We’d get the face mask grabs, the slaps on the ass, a good cussing, or the singling out/humiliation tours. Conditioning had a few upchucking at every practice.

Think he ran into some trouble and got forced out a few years later for his search history on the school computer.  He was a hell of a coach, though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2024, 01:42:40 PM »
I had former Coach Dye WR, Dale Overton as a head coach at one point. He was tough, but fair. Didn’t play favorites on the field. We drank hot water from a pvc pipe with holes drilled in it.  We’d get the face mask grabs, the slaps on the ass, a good cussing, or the singling out/humiliation tours. Conditioning had a few upchucking at every practice.

Think he ran into some trouble and got forced out a few years later for his search history on the school computer.  He was a hell of a coach, though.

I knew that name rang a bell. I only remember him as “Hackleburg”.
He was a meek mild freshman back then.
Blakeney loved him some Hackleburg.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2024, 02:31:58 PM »
Like you guys said, water for the athletes at Jeff Davis was one mammoth water hose at the edge of the practice field. I remember Tennessee was playing Auburn back in the early 70's.  UT had bad ass QB, Condredge Holloway.  For some reason, the Vols did their Friday walk-through at the Jeff Davis practice field.  I lived a couple of blocks from the school, so I rode my bike up there to watch them unload and get a glimpse of Holloway.

I still recall how impressed their players and staff were with the gigantic water hose.  Only the finest amenities.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2024, 02:49:58 PM »
Like you guys said, water for the athletes at Jeff Davis was one mammoth water hose at the edge of the practice field. I remember Tennessee was playing Auburn back in the early 70's.  UT had bad ass QB, Condredge Holloway.  For some reason, the Vols did their Friday walk-through at the Jeff Davis practice field.  I lived a couple of blocks from the school, so I rode my bike up there to watch them unload and get a glimpse of Holloway.

I still recall how impressed their players and staff were with the gigantic water hose.  Only the finest amenities.

Holloway was a man before his time.  In today's offenses?  He'd be in the Heisman mix.  Top NFL draft pick.

Remember him well. He was like a Michael Vick or Lamar Jackson.  Not quite Cam level (who is) but he would tear it up today, college and NFL.

He grew up in Huntsville or somewhere close.  I also know for an almost absolute fact that UAT didn't recruit him because Saint Bahr Brunt said he "didn't want no <likely three day suspension with a hard R> quarterback" and Holloway had no interest in playing any other position. 

Never got a shot at the pros. Wasn't drafted until the 12th round - as a DB.

FWIW?  He went 1-2 against Auburn and 0-3 versus Bama in his time at Rocky Top. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2024, 03:08:14 PM »

Ohhhh please!

In Prattvegas, we had four hour practices with one water break at the two hour mark. Line up on the sideline with one knee in the ground, everybody got one of those wax coated Coca Cola cups and waited for the coach to use the aluminum water dipper to fille your cup up. He’d go from one end to the other and then back again. Before he got back, you’d try to eat all the ice. Then dump it right as he refilled the cup. If you were dying, you could go to the hose during practice. But if you didn’t die, you had to run after practice.
When fourth quarter hit, we whipped everybody’s ass.
I remember getting to AU and they had the big plastic air compressed water wagons with multiple hoses. I finally asked one of the guys if we had to wait until given the OK for water. He laughed and said, “Naw man. Get it when you want it”. I thought I was in the field of dreams…
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Kaos,
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2024, 03:17:06 PM »
I'm reading this entire thread in the voices of the Dads and other Old Townies watching practice in Varsity Blues saying gems like "Them boys is having the time of their lives." and "We didn't press no wieners on no police car glass."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2024, 03:58:31 PM by The Six »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2024, 03:32:23 PM »
I'm reading this entire thread in the voices of the Dad's and other Old Townies watching practice in Varsity Blues saying gems like "Them boys is having the time of their lives." and "We didn't press no wieners on no police car glass."

Nailed it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2024, 03:39:30 PM »
Nailed it.

The older I get, the more I relate to this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2024, 03:41:49 PM »
Ohhhh please!

In Prattvegas, we had four hour practices with one water break at the two hour mark. Line up on the sideline with one knee in the ground, everybody got one of those wax coated Coca Cola cups and waited for the coach to use the aluminum water dipper to fille your cup up. He’d go from one end to the other and then back again. Before he got back, you’d try to eat all the ice. Then dump it right as he refilled the cup. If you were dying, you could go to the hose during practice. But if you didn’t die, you had to run after practice.

Ohhhh pleeease

Before practice, coach used to make us sit in a sauna for an hour....no...hour and a half.  Then, we put on full sweats and ran 20 X 100 yard sprints...uphill...both ways.  Then, we had to flip tractor tires the length of the field 5 times, and do 110 push ups at the end of each length.  And then coach would say, "You boys thirsty?  Good, take a break and ring the sweat out of your sweat shirts.  You can drink that." After that, we had a two hour weight lifting session.

Then, we did 100 burpees right before we started our four and a half hour practice.  And then we'd go out on Friday nights and beat the hell out of those Prattville pussies.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted funny:
Snakebite,
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2024, 03:42:29 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2024, 04:05:40 PM »
SHOTS FIRED!

Ain't skurr'd.  Those Lions were just kitty cats in reality. 

If you can't tell, I'm even getting stoked for some high school football, which is about to start up in a couple of weeks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2024, 04:32:00 PM »
Ain't skurr'd.  Those Lions were just kitty cats in reality. 

If you can't tell, I'm even getting stoked for some high school football, which is about to start up in a couple of weeks.

Just stop putting a "media" lanyard around your neck and trying to walk into the lockerroom, mmmmmkay?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2024, 04:54:07 PM »
Just stop putting a "media" lanyard around your neck and trying to walk into the lockerroom, mmmmmkay?

How else am I gonna' get those hot pics?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2024, 04:56:57 PM »
My school Banks was no different with the water rationing, salt tablets, tobacco spit and face mask yanking. Our head coach took a job as a db assistant under Bryant.  Took as many as 7 players with him in a package deal. Program went to shit after my freshman season bc the area talent was already drying up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2024, 05:21:03 PM »
How else am I gonna' get those hot pics?

Do you even Revenge of the Nerds, bro?

Porky's?

Fuck's sake, it's like playin cards with my sister's kids!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted funny:
The Six,
No reactions
No reactions

War Damn Six

• Pale Rider
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2024, 06:18:12 PM »
Player has an attorney now…I wonder if they hired a lawyer that cares. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
“If you're waitin' for a woman to make up her mind, you may have a long wait.” Preacher

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2024, 09:43:42 PM »
Ohhhh pleeease

Before practice, coach used to make us sit in a sauna for an hour....no...hour and a half.  Then, we put on full sweats and ran 20 X 100 yard sprints...uphill...both ways.  Then, we had to flip tractor tires the length of the field 5 times, and do 110 push ups at the end of each length.  And then coach would say, "You boys thirsty?  Good, take a break and ring the sweat out of your sweat shirts.  You can drink that." After that, we had a two hour weight lifting session.

Then, we did 100 burpees right before we started our four and a half hour practice.  And then we'd go out on Friday nights and beat the hell out of those Prattville pussies.

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa, son. You city bitches was afraid to play us country boys. Then in 1984 when you finally did, we whipped that ass…TWICE!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions