Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

A-Day

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
A-Day
« on: April 11, 2019, 03:07:22 PM »
Anyone going?  I believe we're headed to the beach for the day and I'll catch it on one of the replays.  I can't recall less hype for an A-Day, not that they're really a big thing anyway.  But usually, there's at least some buzz around it.  Not Killington.  I imagine the flop of a season, combined with everyone focused more on the Running of the Pearls has put one big MEH on the festivities.  And if you think about it, the only real story line is who will be QB, but that's not even an issue because we all know Malzahn isn't going to name a starter until 5 minutes before the Oregon (They're just so fast) kickoff.  Even then, he might play 4 QB's.  Anywho, one thing that would be worth getting to the stadium for is as follows:  (copypasta'd from somewhere)

AUBURN, Ala. – They may be a step slower than they were in their prime, but the 56 participants competing in Saturday's Auburn Legends lettermen flag football game will make up with spirit what they lack in speed.
"Hopefully the older guys will provide great strategy and the younger guys will execute that strategy, so everybody feels like they're part of it," said former Auburn running back Ronnie Brown, captain of the Blue team.
The Legends game begins at 1:15 p.m. CT at Jordan-Hare Stadium before the 3 p.m. CT start of Auburn's A-Day game, presented by Golden Flake. Jason Campbell, Brown's teammate on Auburn's 2004 unbeaten SEC Championship team, will serve as captain of the Orange team.
"It's great for the guys to come back and understand that they built this program, and they've played a huge part in the success the program has enjoyed after they left," Brown said.
After the Legends game Campbell and Brown will join Paul Ellen on the A-Day radio broadcast. Quarterbacks include Brandon Cox and Jeff Klein for the Orange team and Chris Todd for the Blue.
"I've got a left-handed quarterback and a right-handed quarterback," said Campbell, divulging a bit of team Orange strategy. "We can throw the defense off, so they can't try to play to the strength of the arm side. We can mix it up on them a little bit. 
"I've got two experienced quarterbacks, older veterans. I just hope they've been warming up their arms."
With rosters loaded with Type-A competitors, there's no need to manufacture any bragging rights incentives. No "winners eat steak, losers get hot dogs" component.
"That will probably happen naturally after the game," Brown said.
"I just hope no one pulls any muscles or ends up in the training room," Campbell said. "It should be a fun experience."
The Legends game serves as a reunion for former players while giving fans a chance to see some of their favorite Tigers compete once more on Pat Dye Field.
"The older players laid the foundation, then the younger players picked up the torch and have kept Auburn in high regard through the years," Brown said.
Here are the rosters for the Auburn Legends game, along with information about A-Day, the Coca-Cola Fanfest petting zoo, postgame autograph session and the Punt, Pass and Kick contest: https://auburntigers.com/sports/2018/8/24/2019-a-day.aspx
Jeff Shearer is a Senior Writer at AuburnTigers.com. Follow him on Twitter: @jeff_shearer
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: A-Day
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 03:22:22 PM »
Saw the info about the Auburn Legends 7-7 game yesterday.  I am more interested in that then the A-Day game/scrimmage.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 03:55:18 PM »
Couldn't care less about the A-Day game, but I might try anyway.
The 7 on 7 sounds like a great idea to get more fans in the seats, but all it will really do is make most of those fans miss the Tuberville and Chiz days.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 04:20:51 PM »
The 7 on 7 sounds like a great idea to get more fans in the seats, but all it will really do is make most of those fans miss the Tuberville and Chiz days.
I was with you every step of the way right up until that last little pothole.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 04:30:54 PM »
I think the 7-7 idea was probably ripped off of bama.  I can see them doing that so they can bring in Trent Richardson and showcase how good he is.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 04:58:53 PM »
I was with you every step of the way right up until that last little pothole.
Well...maybe I should have said Chiz day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 05:33:04 PM »
Well...maybe I should have said Chiz day.
THAT'S BETTER
Image result for Gene Chizik images
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 06:47:08 PM »
Damn. I didn't get my invite.
Only three old bastages from my day:

Jimmy Clemmer
Dale Overton(Hackleburg)
Alex Smith

Wonder how well they still get around.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

chinook

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 07:21:05 PM »
Damn. I didn't get my invite.
Only three old bastages from my day:

Jimmy Clemmer
Dale Overton(Hackleburg)
Alex Smith

Wonder how well they still get around.

well the invite did mention players not bench warmers.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 09:20:14 PM »
well the invite did mention players not bench warmers. 
Yeah. Those three didn't see a lot of the field. A helluva lot more than me though!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 11:26:12 PM »
I really don't care about A-Day.  

Joy sucked right out of it.  I'm more interested in what the basketball team is going to look like. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 08:13:19 AM »
I think the 7-7 idea was probably ripped off of bama.  I can see them doing that so they can bring in Trent Richardson and showcase how good he is.
Well, he's got time on his hands...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 09:38:48 AM »
Well, he's got time on his hands...
For another wonderful comeback story!!!!!!!1
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 09:07:36 AM »
That's the time!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 09:28:17 AM »
For another wonderful comeback story!!!!!!!1
Tiger Woods is only one shot down at Augusta...ON SATURDAY!

Excitement abounds people.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 10:36:44 AM »
Tiger Woods is only one shot down at Augusta...ON SATURDAY!

Excitement abounds people.
I fell asleep just reading that sentence.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 10:40:46 AM »
I fell asleep just reading that sentence.
:staytuned:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2019, 07:44:55 PM »
I was predisposed. Did we win?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 10:01:40 PM »
It's A-day, so you can't really trust anything you think you saw.

That said, what I think I saw was a pretty potent offense that could function with either Willis or Gatewood taking snaps.  Nix looked great for a freshman but not so great as to justify starting him over the upperclassmen.  Willis was the most poised in the pocket and looked to have the best command of the offense, but Gatewood has a quality about him that leaves you holding your breath because of the big-play potential.  In the interest of full disclosure, that could be just me projecting all the "Cam2.0" talk I've read.

The WRs were catching everything thrown their way today and they all look hungry to get the ball.  Maybe the depth of the group is breeding some healthy competition.  They don't look like a group resigned to run-blocking because the QB can't get them the ball.  They've seen something in practice.

The OL was more than holding its own against our 1st team defense.  That's a testament to Grimes.  He has his detractors, but his lines here have mostly been disciplined, cohesive and nasty.  We need to develop some depth badly, though.  All 5 starters are seniors.

The RB room looks like it is chocked full and loaded with talent/potential.  Malik Miller should take a look at the H-Back role and see if he can't get some more touches there...kind of like the Eric Smith position.  Joiner is going to be the X factor this year and it's probably unfair to lump him in with just one position group. 

Anders Carlson seems to have taken this spring to shake off whatever bad juju he picked up last year.  He looked relaxed and confident.

The defense?  What's there to say?  They are deep and fast.  My only concern right now is the severity of the injury to Wooten.

I feel the way you're intended to feel after the spring game: full of optimism and pleased with the prospects for this team.  To the extent it's all a facade, then good work to those staging the spectacle.  If it's a glimpse of what this team can truly be, then I think we're in a for a fun ride.

Fuck it, let's go bowling.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 10:03:55 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2019, 10:34:28 PM »
It's A-day, so you can't really trust anything you think you saw.

That said, what I think I saw was a pretty potent offense that could function with either Willis or Gatewood taking snaps.  Nix looked great for a freshman but not so great as to justify starting him over the upperclassmen.  Willis was the most poised in the pocket and looked to have the best command of the offense, but Gatewood has a quality about him that leaves you holding your breath because of the big-play potential.  In the interest of full disclosure, that could be just me projecting all the "Cam2.0" talk I've read.

The WRs were catching everything thrown their way today and they all look hungry to get the ball.  Maybe the depth of the group is breeding some healthy competition.  They don't look like a group resigned to run-blocking because the QB can't get them the ball.  They've seen something in practice.

The OL was more than holding its own against our 1st team defense.  That's a testament to Grimes.  He has his detractors, but his lines here have mostly been disciplined, cohesive and nasty.  We need to develop some depth badly, though.  All 5 starters are seniors.

The RB room looks like it is chocked full and loaded with talent/potential.  Malik Miller should take a look at the H-Back role and see if he can't get some more touches there...kind of like the Eric Smith position.  Joiner is going to be the X factor this year and it's probably unfair to lump him in with just one position group. 

Anders Carlson seems to have taken this spring to shake off whatever bad juju he picked up last year.  He looked relaxed and confident.

The defense?  What's there to say?  They are deep and fast.  My only concern right now is the severity of the injury to Wooten.

I feel the way you're intended to feel after the spring game: full of optimism and pleased with the prospects for this team.  To the extent it's all a facade, then good work to those staging the spectacle.  If it's a glimpse of what this team can truly be, then I think we're in a for a fun ride.

Fuck it, let's go bowling.
How many more weeks until basketball season?  

I saw everything you saw but listening to Gus comment on it over the course u was not imbued with confidence 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.