Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

So Gus is fired next week, who do we hire?

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: So Gus is fired next week, who do we hire?
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2016, 12:22:51 PM »
Based on what? The talking heads?  He has 3 more games experience then Gus Malzahn had at Arky State.

Not saying he isn't intriguing but I don't think we have a shot at him.

Every team in the country including LSU will be after him, and believe it or not Houston has some big money behind them as well, expect an all out bidding war.
I forgot Arkansas State went from obscurity to National Championship contenders in one year...

Last year they only dropped one game by 3 points. But also beat Louisville, Tulsa, blanked Vandy 34-0, Cincinatti, #21 Memphis, #15 Navy, #22 Temple and then #9 Florida State in the bowl game.

So far this year they unseated #3 convincingly and crushed Cincinnati 40-16.

The year before he got there they lost to Cincinatti. They also lost to the Texas San Antonio Roadrunners 27-7 and to Grambling State 47-0 among several other bad losses.

They hired him in December and they beat Pitt in their bowl game in January.

You are high off your ass if you don't think he's a significant difference maker.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2016, 12:30:38 PM »
I forgot Arkansas State went from obscurity to National Championship contenders in one year...

Last year they only dropped one game by 3 points. But also beat Louisville, Tulsa, blanked Vandy 34-0, Cincinatti, #21 Memphis, #15 Navy, #22 Temple and then #9 Florida State in the bowl game.

The year before he got there they lost to Cincinatti. They also lost to the Texas San Antonio Roadrunners 27-7 and to Grambling State 47-0 among several other bad losses.

You are high off your ass if you don't think he's a significant difference maker.

I don't disagree with any of that.  And if we hired the guy, I'm sure I'd get on the Herman....umm....Sherman Tank (All I could think of right now).  He's so hot right now.  Hansel.

I'm just pointing out all the same arguments we've been using recently to imply that Gus didn't have enough experience and discredit any of his successes because he was lucky enough to have a great QB at the helm in certain seasons.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 12:46:50 PM »
Kevin Steele!

at least for a few months...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 12:49:35 PM »
I agree with getting Herman is a lot like getting Malzahn.  I do not want to go down that road again.

Doesn't Petrino have a ridiculously large buyout at UofL?  I think I heard that UofL put that in his contract to help him grow some roots this time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 12:51:45 PM »
Found it,

Jurich said the buyout clause from Petrino's initial contract, which stated that the coach would owe the school $10 million if he left for another job, remains in place under the original terms. That buyout decreases as the years pass and will be $5 million in the final two years of the new contract, continuing what it was set to be in the sixth year of the original deal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2016, 12:55:01 PM »

Not saying Herman isn't better than Malzahn (in fact I'm sure he is) but Malzahn also took Auburn from 3-9 to 12-2 in one season and was 5-0 starting 2014.  Not to mention that you are going to have to pay a coach with (2 years HC experience in excess of 5 million, to come to your program).  It's just a big gamble brother.

Plus we have a snow balls chance in hell of getting him.  It just isn't going to happen.  Don't get me wrong BTW I think the chances are the same for Kyle Wittingham as well.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 01:43:42 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2016, 01:22:44 PM »
I'd like to add that in reality, I still don't see the PTB firing Gus yet.....yet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2016, 01:28:48 PM »
What about Turner Gill?  Chizad, weren't you on that bandwagon too?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2016, 01:39:11 PM »
Since nobody has said anything, I heard Jon Gruden wants to get back into coaching.   :taunt:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2016, 01:41:24 PM »
Took out the non-starters, and you're left with "up and comers"...no thanks.

Maybes...3rd tier list

Let's throw the bank at Dantonio.  Make Petrino and Gary Patterson say "no," as well.

Maybe Chip Kelly is tired of the NFL (though I've spoken ill of him in the past, he'd know what to do with this roster).

Larry Fedora, sans the Chiz, might warrant a look.

Pat Narduzzi at Pitt seems to have a nice toughness to his teams.

Fuck, this is depressing.
all the men you mention are worth mentioning. I say Patterson and Dantonio are worth mentioning several times.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2016, 01:46:59 PM »
all the men you mention are worth mentioning. I say Patterson and Dantonio are worth mentioning several times.
Patterson and Dantonio
Patterson and Dantonio
Patterson and Dantonio
Patterson and Dantonio
Patterson and Dantonio
Patterson and Dantonio
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2016, 01:53:50 PM »
I still contend he's not going to be fired. Who's going to do it? The President is retiring. That takes time to fill. The AD isn't going to do it; he's made that very clear. This pointless speculation is just going to compound this board's set of coaching blue balls.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2016, 01:56:40 PM »
Ok. Fine. I will take the job.  I need 1/2 Malzahn's salary and a four year deal.  $1 million buyout no matter when.  I guarantee we wouldn't be any worse than 1-2 now.

Prowler cannot be OC.  I have somebody else in mind.  Guy I used to know who drew up fantastic plays in the dirt.  He can be associate DC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2016, 02:11:20 PM »
Ok. Fine. I will take the job.  I need 1/2 Malzahn's salary and a four year deal.  $1 million buyout no matter when.  I guarantee we wouldn't be any worse than 1-2 now.

Prowler cannot be OC.  I have somebody else in mind.  Guy I used to know who drew up fantastic plays in the dirt.  He can be associate DC.

Oh please.  That guy was so predictable.  He was just a back yard coach running a gimmicky offense.  He always threw to the bottle cap on 3rd down.  Everyone caught on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2016, 02:17:22 PM »
Oh please.  That guy was so predictable.  He was just a back yard coach running a gimmicky offense.  He always threw to the bottle cap on 3rd down.  Everyone caught on.

Ha! Shows what you know.  Sometimes third down was "go long."  Same as Nick Marshall 2014. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2016, 02:24:05 PM »

I want to be in charge of ticket sales and maybe shadow JFIII to make sure he doesn't get into any trouble.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2016, 02:32:34 PM »
I want to be in charge of ticket sales and maybe shadow JFIII to make sure he doesn't get into any trouble.

Buzz Jackson
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2016, 02:34:17 PM »
Ha! Shows what you know.  Sometimes third down was "go long."  Same as Nick Marshall 2014.

Yeah but, "go long" was always a fly pattern to the last azalea bush.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bgreene

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2016, 03:22:42 PM »
I want to be in charge of the hydration crew and Team motivational activities.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2016, 03:30:45 PM »
I want to be in charge of removing the big screen. I will sell off the parts and pieces and we go back with the old scoreboard and signs about Bo and Pat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com