Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Military Stuff

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Military Stuff
« on: October 27, 2015, 02:38:57 PM »
I'm not a military type and basically know squat about this stuff, but the advances in technology and weaponry just blows my mind.  You can shoot all the missiles you want at us.  We're just going to blow them all up before they get here.  So, have fun with that.  Pretty soon, they'll just be able to go all Captain Kirk.  Raise deflector shields Mr. Sulu. Oh myyyy....  How reliable are these things?  From foxynewsdot I am a gay twerker that has no balls!!!!  I also have no idea how to use the quote function to post stories, so I annoy the piss out of others.  I like male genatalia in and around my mouth..

If a missile slips past a ship’s defenses, then rapid-fire gun system Phalanx destroys the threat before it can strike - this is the “last-chance” defense system for military vessels.

The U.S. Navy is acquiring $159.9 million dollars more of Raytheon’s Phalanx Close-In Weapons System (CIWS). The latest contract covers Phalanx manufacturing, inspection and testing. In 2013 the Navy awarded Raytheon a $136.2 million contract to remanufacture, overhaul and upgrade 19 Phalanx Systems and four SeaRAM anti-ship Missile Defense Systems.

Phalanx’s 20 mm gun system automatically tracks and destroys enemy threats with computer-controlled radar. Phalanx provides close-in defense against air, land and sea threats.

This weapons system can take on a range of threats from anti-ship missiles to fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters. At sea, Phalanx can also defeat fast-travelling surface craft.

The U.S. Army uses the land-based Phalanx as part of its systems to counter rockets, artillery and mortars. Before a threat can hit a ground target, Phalanx detects and destroys incoming rounds in the air.

If there is an attack, the technology also provides early warning.

Rather than separate systems for searching, detecting, evaluating a threat – Phalanx does it all in one. It also handles tracking, engaging and destroying the threat.

Phalanx’s Block 1B version features control stations that also allow its operators to visually track and identify threats before they are engaged. There is also a forward-looking infrared sensor.

The SeaRAM Anti-ship Missile Defense Systems uses the advanced Phalanx Block 1B sensors and replaces the gun with an 11-round Rolling Airframe Missile guide.

In the Raytheon press release on the $159.9 million deal, the company's Naval and Area Mission Defense Vice President Rick Nelson explained that "Phalanx provides the U.S. Navy's ships with a 'last-chance' defense against anti-ship missiles and littoral warfare threats while SeaRAM extends that inner-layer battlespace."

Phalanx is installed on U.S. Navy surface combatant ships as well as on the ships of 24 other countries. More than 890 of the systems have been deployed.

The land-based version has also been used in combat. The contract also covers the overhaul of four land-based Phalanx systems.

Work under the latest Phalanx contract is expected to be completed by August 2018.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
Re: Military Stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 10:59:08 AM »
Raytheon must have gotten some big ass defense contracts, because there are 3 new large campuses going up here in North Dallas and they are going up in a hurry.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 04:41:07 PM »
I'm not a military type and basically know squat about this stuff, but the advances in technology and weaponry just blows my mind.  You can shoot all the missiles you want at us.  We're just going to blow them all up before they get here.  So, have fun with that.  Pretty soon, they'll just be able to go all Captain Kirk.  Raise deflector shields Mr. Sulu. Oh myyyy....  How reliable are these things?  From foxynewsdot I am a gay twerker that has no balls!!!!  I also have no idea how to use the quote function to post stories, so I annoy the piss out of others.  I like male genatalia in and around my mouth..

If a missile slips past a ship’s defenses, then rapid-fire gun system Phalanx destroys the threat before it can strike - this is the “last-chance” defense system for military vessels.

The U.S. Navy is acquiring $159.9 million dollars more of Raytheon’s Phalanx Close-In Weapons System (CIWS). The latest contract covers Phalanx manufacturing, inspection and testing. In 2013 the Navy awarded Raytheon a $136.2 million contract to remanufacture, overhaul and upgrade 19 Phalanx Systems and four SeaRAM anti-ship Missile Defense Systems.

Phalanx’s 20 mm gun system automatically tracks and destroys enemy threats with computer-controlled radar. Phalanx provides close-in defense against air, land and sea threats.

This weapons system can take on a range of threats from anti-ship missiles to fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters. At sea, Phalanx can also defeat fast-travelling surface craft.

The U.S. Army uses the land-based Phalanx as part of its systems to counter rockets, artillery and mortars. Before a threat can hit a ground target, Phalanx detects and destroys incoming rounds in the air.

If there is an attack, the technology also provides early warning.

Rather than separate systems for searching, detecting, evaluating a threat – Phalanx does it all in one. It also handles tracking, engaging and destroying the threat.

Phalanx’s Block 1B version features control stations that also allow its operators to visually track and identify threats before they are engaged. There is also a forward-looking infrared sensor.

The SeaRAM Anti-ship Missile Defense Systems uses the advanced Phalanx Block 1B sensors and replaces the gun with an 11-round Rolling Airframe Missile guide.

In the Raytheon press release on the $159.9 million deal, the company's Naval and Area Mission Defense Vice President Rick Nelson explained that "Phalanx provides the U.S. Navy's ships with a 'last-chance' defense against anti-ship missiles and littoral warfare threats while SeaRAM extends that inner-layer battlespace."

Phalanx is installed on U.S. Navy surface combatant ships as well as on the ships of 24 other countries. More than 890 of the systems have been deployed.

The land-based version has also been used in combat. The contract also covers the overhaul of four land-based Phalanx systems.

Work under the latest Phalanx contract is expected to be completed by August 2018.
CIWS is a hell of a thing to see in person. Big white dome with a gatling gun sticking out of it. When it goes off, you hear a very loud "BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" and it continues until the target is obliterated.

The thing about CIWS is what the first 2 letters (CI) stand for: Close In. That means these robo machine guns are your last hope for thwarting an attack. The enemy has already gone through every other layer of your defense and you can most likely see it coming right at you. These things are pretty good at close proximity, but I'd prefer a little distance just for the "not shit my pants because that was a close one" effect.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 04:49:55 PM »
CIWS is a hell of a thing to see in person. Big white dome with a gatling gun sticking out of it. When it goes off, you hear a very loud "BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" and it continues until the target is obliterated.

The thing about CIWS is what the first 2 letters (CI) stand for: Close In. That means these robo machine guns are your last hope for thwarting an attack. The enemy has already gone through every other layer of your defense and you can most likely see it coming right at you. These things are pretty good at close proximity, but I'd prefer a little distance just for the "not shit my pants because that was a close one" effect.

Ill drink to that  :bar:

'Murica!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 04:52:32 PM »

Its quicker and faster than the stuff you have to take the night before the "Procedure".   :bar:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 11:24:08 PM »
It's getting late. I need to go shit shower and shave.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 09:53:56 AM »

Real life testing could get a bit hairy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 01:00:56 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 02:21:09 PM »
Phalanx’s 20 mm gun system automatically tracks and destroys enemy threats with computer-controlled radar.

"Looking for enemy threats. Enemy threats come from humans. Track and destroy humans."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole