Luper: Dyer Will Play This Year

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Luper: Dyer Will Play This Year
« on: July 28, 2010, 09:12:42 AM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/07/luper_auburn_freshman_running.html
Luper: Auburn freshman running back Michael Dyer will play
Published: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 5:16 AM     Updated: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 6:52 AM
Charles Goldberg -- The Birmingham News Charles Goldberg -- The Birmingham News

AUBURN -- The countdown to Auburn's football season is on and this much is clear: The Tigers didn't sign hot-shot running back Michael Dyer to look pretty on the bench his freshman season.

Running backs coach Curtis Luper said he's going to throw his rookie from Arkansas into the mix when fall practice begins next week, and that he expects last year's No. 1 high school back -- per ESPN -- to handle it.

"He's playing," Luper said.

MichaelDyerUndercover.JPGMichael Dyer: Changing uniforms to Auburn (AP photo)
Luper said Dyer will run with Mario Fannin and Onterio McCalebb at tailback as Auburn adjusts to life without Ben Tate, who led the Tigers in rushing each of the last three seasons.

Fannin, a senior, is the most experienced returning back and is the heir apparent to the starting job, though he had more yards receiving than rushing last year. McCalebb, a sophomore, nursed a sore ankle for nine games last season and his endurance will be tested again.

Dyer rushed for 2,502 yards and 31 touchdowns last season at Little Rock Christian and will face the hype at Auburn that comes with being a top high school recruit. Luper said he's not worried.

"We'll talk about it, but usually guys who have been as successful as he's been are used to that. He's had the hype all of his life," Luper said. "It'll be different here, but those kinds of guys can handle it. They expect it. They kind of thrive on it. They like it and enjoy it. That's just the ham in them."

Luper said he's received favorable reports about Dyer from summer workouts.

"My guys are trying to teach my young guy, not only the offense, but the expectations we have, so when we start, he'll have an idea," Luper said.

Luper said a freshman such as Dyer can play because "the running back position is one of the easiest to play from a mental standpoint. Physically, it's a tough position because you get hit an average of four times a play, including a hit on the ground. If you carry it 20 times, that's 80 hits you've taken, minimum.

"It's not easy as a freshman, but the natural talent can take over, and that's why you see a lot of freshman running backs come in and do well.

"I suspect he'll be no different."

Luper.JPGCurtis Luper
Luper said he'd be happy to have two running backs each get 20 carries a game, and said everybody could co-exist, even if a rookie is involved. He conjured up visions of happy running back combinations, such as the one he saw as a college player at Oklahoma State, and another combo from Auburn.

"The running back position is a unique position because there's competition, but I've always found great relationships," Luper said. "Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas had a great relationship, Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown had -- and have -- a great relationship, Darren McFadden and Felix Jones (at Arkansas) had a great relationship. Ben and Mario had a phenomenal relationship. I think there's a healthy respect that you earn, and, at the end of the day, they're team guys who want to win."

Luper has a different assignment in his second year at Auburn following Tate's departure.

"Ben was seasoned. He understood the SEC. He understood how to take care of his body off the field," Luper said. "He was easy to coach."

How easy?

Luper told Tate after he left: '"Ben, I've got to coach for real this year.'"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

Re: Luper: Dyer Will Play This Year
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 09:37:32 AM »
Today's trivia question.
Who's older, Dyer or McCalebb?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 10:07:05 AM »
McCalebb is older.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 10:09:15 AM »
McCalebb is older.

By about a year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:29:02 PM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/07/luper_auburn_freshman_running.html

I have no doubt he'll play.  However, Fannin could have a lot of say in that.  If Fannin turns out to be all the athlete we think, and is able to be an every down TB, then Dyer could redshirt regardless of what they're saying.  I don't expect it, but it could happen.  If Fannin can give the type performance Tate did, with McCaleb and Smith doing their thing...there just won't be much room for Dyer, and it wouldn't make sense to burn a year for him to do spot duty.  Again, I don't expect that, but we've been surprised before.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 12:48:49 PM »
I have no doubt he'll play.  However, Fannin could have a lot of say in that.  If Fannin turns out to be all the athlete we think, and is able to be an every down TB, then Dyer could redshirt regardless of what they're saying.  I don't expect it, but it could happen.  If Fannin can give the type performance Tate did, with McCaleb and Smith doing their thing...there just won't be much room for Dyer, and it wouldn't make sense to burn a year for him to do spot duty.  Again, I don't expect that, but we've been surprised before.
If a dog is gonna bite, he'll do it as a puppy. Darrell Royal
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 01:10:11 PM »

I just dont see Fannin as an every down back. He has never fully taken the TB position by horns and made it all his. Outside of Tristan Davis, he has to be one of the more frustrating players to watch for a fan, in the regard that you know he has all the tools but just never really had that 100% shot due to circumstance, injury, slippery hands, whatever. It was painful to watch Davis spend 4 years at Auburn with very little to show as compared to what he probably could have done.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 01:14:15 PM »
I just dont see Fannin as an every down back. He has never fully taken the TB position by horns and made it all his. Outside of Tristan Davis, he has to be one of the more frustrating players to watch for a fan, in the regard that you know he has all the tools but just never really had that 100% shot due to circumstance, injury, slippery hands, whatever. It was painful to watch Davis spend 4 years at Auburn with very little to show as compared to what he probably could have done.

Pretty much what I meant...but every situation is different.  Maybe Fannin will thrive beng "the guy".  Again, I'm not counting on it, but it would be a nice surprise if he was good enough to make Dyer redshirt.   My hunch is Dyer will likely be "the guy", or at least getting 10+ touches at TB by game 3 or 4.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 06:37:04 PM »
Pretty much what I meant...but every situation is different.  Maybe Fannin will thrive beng "the guy".  Again, I'm not counting on it, but it would be a nice surprise if he was good enough to make Dyer redshirt.   My hunch is Dyer will likely be "the guy", or at least getting 10+ touches at TB by game 3 or 4.
Dyer will get touches in the first game, 10+.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 08:55:51 PM »
Dyer is a stud and should play a lot. You heard it here first SEC's All Freshman Team. Mark it down
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 09:20:27 AM »
Dyer is a stud and should play a lot. You heard it here first SEC's All Freshman Team. Mark it down

Don't forget there is a portion of the media that is deeply in love with USCe and Marcus Lattimore. Not sure why, but they are.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 11:15:25 AM »
Don't forget there is a portion of the media that is deeply in love with USCe and Marcus Lattimore. Not sure why, but they are.
And he will be far more likely to have a greater impact there than Dyer is here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 11:48:50 AM »
And he will be far more likely to have a greater impact there than Dyer is here.

The whole big fish in a small pond thingee eh? He will find out quickly how good his OL is when they get into SEC play.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 11:07:38 PM »
All your points are great but Dyer is better IMO. He will get his touches and allbarn will score more points than USCe.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

JR4AU

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 11:02:51 AM »
Dyer will get touches in the first game, 10+.

Mmmmmm, maybe so.  I'm not making any solid predictions on this.  He's got 30 days to learn a new offense, though it's not terribly complicated in reality, I think it's sort of wordy.  And he's got to adjust to the new speed of play, bigger opposing players, etc.  If it weren't for having to learn pass pro, then I might be more inclined to agree with you, but it's not a point worth arguing either.   I'd say by game 3 or 4, not game one. JMO, YMMV.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:04:41 AM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 01:08:59 PM »
Mmmmmm, maybe so.  I'm not making any solid predictions on this.  He's got 30 days to learn a new offense, though it's not terribly complicated in reality, I think it's sort of wordy.  And he's got to adjust to the new speed of play, bigger opposing players, etc.  If it weren't for having to learn pass pro, then I might be more inclined to agree with you, but it's not a point worth arguing either.   I'd say by game 3 or 4, not game one. JMO, YMMV.

I don't really think 10+ plays is out of the question certainly since Malzahn will be looking to run 80+ plays. Besides, the game being Ark St, there should be ample opportunities to play a lot of people. I do agree about the speed/size of the D he will be seeing is going to be a big difference.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 01:48:02 PM »
I don't really think 10+ plays is out of the question certainly since Malzahn will be looking to run 80+ plays. Besides, the game being Ark St, there should be ample opportunities to play a lot of people. I do agree about the speed/size of the D he will be seeing is going to be a big difference.

10 plays vs 10 touches...

Anyway...Malzahn's hope and desire is to have one base personnel set to run every thing from. (Not saying we have that now)  Subbing slows the pace...so for Dyer to get in the game, he has to be comfortable with the WHOLE offense, and more importantly, Malzahn has to be comfortable with him and the whole offense.  IE. Running plays, pass plays (routes and blitz pick up), checks, sideline signals, etc.  While learning the base offense isn't all that difficult, learning the entire package of responsibilities, is a whole different deal.  A: It's a lot to digest, and B: they are going to give Fannins the lion's share of the reps to begin with, so the learning curve is even slower when you're learning hands off.  IMO, if Dyer gets 10 touches in game one, it will be in mop up duty running basic running plays. 

It would be wonderously delightful if the kid would come right in, and oust Fannin from the starting job, get 25+ touches/100 yards + a game...it would also be very unusual. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 02:56:27 PM »
if Dyer gets 10 touches in game one, it will be in mop up duty running basic running plays. 

This is my thinking, especially it being Arky St. I do understand your opinion, and I am actually in agreement. The only thing, though, is the more plays could possibly mean more chances and that is just the odds. I certainly don't see Dyer knocking Fannin off the lead horse, unless ofcourse Fannin continues to drop the package. Then we may see the barn doors open for Dyer because I just don't see McCaleb carrying the load. Now, with that being said, the one wild card in all this is how often will Newton be called to run.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 03:06:47 PM »
10 plays vs 10 touches...

Anyway...Malzahn's hope and desire is to have one base personnel set to run every thing from. (Not saying we have that now)  Subbing slows the pace...so for Dyer to get in the game, he has to be comfortable with the WHOLE offense, and more importantly, Malzahn has to be comfortable with him and the whole offense.  IE. Running plays, pass plays (routes and blitz pick up), checks, sideline signals, etc.  While learning the base offense isn't all that difficult, learning the entire package of responsibilities, is a whole different deal.  A: It's a lot to digest, and B: they are going to give Fannins the lion's share of the reps to begin with, so the learning curve is even slower when you're learning hands off.  IMO, if Dyer gets 10 touches in game one, it will be in mop up duty running basic running plays. 

It would be wonderously delightful if the kid would come right in, and oust Fannin from the starting job, get 25+ touches/100 yards + a game...it would also be very unusual. 

Its great that were even talking about these possibilities....something we havent been able to do very much in the last 3 years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 03:10:40 PM »
Dyers amount of plays will be determined by his ability to understand the blocking schemes and execute blocking.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum