Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Musical Tastes

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Musical Tastes
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:54:01 PM »
Tiger1 started a "Whatcha listenin to" thread in Broun Hall and it got me thinking about a long discussion I had with a friend of mine the other day concerning today's music. We somehow got on the topic of the Super Bowl and The Who being the halftime show.  Even though I thought that was a strange selection, I thought they put on a pretty good show.  Be that as it may, I was arguing that they should have come up with someone a lot more current and relevant.  His answer to that was, "That may be true but there is no talent with the "artisits" today and they don't actually play."  I thought about that and came to the conclusion that he is 100% correct.  In my opinion, we are in the worst possible era of all time when it comes to mainstream music.  I rarely listen to it anyway but I have 2 kids so it's impossible to avoid being subjected to the absolute GARBAGE that's filling the airwaves.

It appears that to make a song today for pop or mainstream listeners, all you need is one person on a keyboard with all the bells and whistles to mix a beat and sound....and one no talent individual to sing into a device that will change his/her voice to sound like a fucking robot.  As someone who has played the guitar all my life and played in bands, I find this shit nothing short of repulsive.  And the kids just eat it up. (He says shaking his fist from the front porch)  Several weeks ago, I was in Orlando and popped over to Universal Studios for an outside concert by 3 Doors Down.  May or may not be your cup of tea but it was great to stand there with an ice cold $8.00 beer and watch 5 guys on stage with no elaborate stage show, just strap on their guitars and rock the house.  No one sang into some piece of shit voice changing thingy and nobody flipped switches and mixed some techno crap sound on a mega computer keyboard.  Just the music being played by talented, hard working musicians.

Now, I fully understand there are 1000 alternatives to mainstream pop crap and my purpose here is two-fold.  First, just a commentary on the state of one particular type of music, which happens to be the most popular. Second, to get some input on some of those bands that many of you have been discussing in other threads.  Admittedly, while my iPod is filled with a wide array of artists and music, from David Alan Coe to Megadeth, I have no idea who many of these bands are that people are talking about.  Wes can't stop playing one CD over and over and I'm going, who the fuck is that?  If you were to group the music I have into categories, I think you'd find that 80% or more of it always comes back to straightforward, hard, guitar driven rock and roll.  I love the heavy, bass driven riffs of Saliva.  I like the early G & R with the distinct Gibson Les Paul slashing style of Slash.  Early Aerosmith and anything AC/DC from Highway to Hell forward.  I also look for bands that understand that if you're gonna play rock and roll, you gotta' have a lead guitarist and fucking use him.

Again, rock & roll is my first love but like many, I have a wide array of tastes.  Went to Faulkner State in Montgomery several years back and watched Nickel Creek in concert.  Was able to walk right up to the stage and stand in awe while 4 people (Stand up bass in the back) walked out, tuned up and just played. Incredibly talented people.  Huge fan of the guitar work of John Mayer.  Always been into a lot of old southern rock...Blackfoot, 1st Molly Hatchet etc.  Saving Abel's 1st album rocks from start to finish.  Even love me some Hoobastank from time to time.

I'm always open to trying out new stuff but there's so much of it, it's hard to know where to start and what kind of music a band plays.  Always hard to tell from one cut on the radio what kind of music a band really plays.  Old, but good example in the band Extreme.  Years ago, they put out a couple of hits on the radio, More Than Words and Wholehearted.  They had about 4-5 albums and those were the only 2 songs they ever did even close to that.  Otherwise, very hard driving, innovative rock.  I'm open to stepping into your musical world.  What do you like and what separates it from the rest for you.  Also, recommendations for concert?  Who can bring it on stage and is not what you would think from just listening to their music?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Musical Tastes
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 01:16:36 PM »
You should find some Five Finger Death Punch to download.  They have even released a cover of Bad Company that sounds great.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 01:16:48 PM »
take the black socks off while wearing sandals.

dink.

music changes.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 01:40:18 PM »
IF HEAVEN AIN'T A LOT LIKE DIXIE, I DON'T WANT TO GO.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN YOU GAY MUSIC LOVING SISSY FAGS.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 01:58:50 PM »
damn...talking about verbose...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 02:12:06 PM »
Tiger1 started a "Whatcha listenin to" thread in Broun Hall and it got me thinking about a long discussion I had with a friend of mine the other day concerning today's music. We somehow got on the topic of the Super Bowl and The Who being the halftime show.  Even though I thought that was a strange selection, I thought they put on a pretty good show.  Be that as it may, I was arguing that they should have come up with someone a lot more current and relevant.  His answer to that was, "That may be true but there is no talent with the "artisits" today and they don't actually play."  I thought about that and came to the conclusion that he is 100% correct.  In my opinion, we are in the worst possible era of all time when it comes to mainstream music.  I rarely listen to it anyway but I have 2 kids so it's impossible to avoid being subjected to the absolute GARBAGE that's filling the airwaves.

It appears that to make a song today for pop or mainstream listeners, all you need is one person on a keyboard with all the bells and whistles to mix a beat and sound....and one no talent individual to sing into a device that will change his/her voice to sound like a fucking robot.  As someone who has played the guitar all my life and played in bands, I find this shit nothing short of repulsive.  And the kids just eat it up. (He says shaking his fist from the front porch)  Several weeks ago, I was in Orlando and popped over to Universal Studios for an outside concert by 3 Doors Down.  May or may not be your cup of tea but it was great to stand there with an ice cold $8.00 beer and watch 5 guys on stage with no elaborate stage show, just strap on their guitars and rock the house.  No one sang into some piece of shit voice changing thingy and nobody flipped switches and mixed some techno crap sound on a mega computer keyboard.  Just the music being played by talented, hard working musicians.

Now, I fully understand there are 1000 alternatives to mainstream pop crap and my purpose here is two-fold.  First, just a commentary on the state of one particular type of music, which happens to be the most popular. Second, to get some input on some of those bands that many of you have been discussing in other threads.  Admittedly, while my iPod is filled with a wide array of artists and music, from David Alan Coe to Megadeth, I have no idea who many of these bands are that people are talking about.  Wes can't stop playing one CD over and over and I'm going, who the fuck is that?  If you were to group the music I have into categories, I think you'd find that 80% or more of it always comes back to straightforward, hard, guitar driven rock and roll.  I love the heavy, bass driven riffs of Saliva.  I like the early G & R with the distinct Gibson Les Paul slashing style of Slash.  Early Aerosmith and anything AC/DC from Highway to Hell forward.  I also look for bands that understand that if you're gonna play rock and roll, you gotta' have a lead guitarist and fucking use him.

Again, rock & roll is my first love but like many, I have a wide array of tastes.  Went to Faulkner State in Montgomery several years back and watched Nickel Creek in concert.  Was able to walk right up to the stage and stand in awe while 4 people (Stand up bass in the back) walked out, tuned up and just played. Incredibly talented people.  Huge fan of the guitar work of John Mayer.  Always been into a lot of old southern rock...Blackfoot, 1st Molly Hatchet etc.  Saving Abel's 1st album rocks from start to finish.  Even love me some Hoobastank from time to time.

I'm always open to trying out new stuff but there's so much of it, it's hard to know where to start and what kind of music a band plays.  Always hard to tell from one cut on the radio what kind of music a band really plays.  Old, but good example in the band Extreme.  Years ago, they put out a couple of hits on the radio, More Than Words and Wholehearted.  They had about 4-5 albums and those were the only 2 songs they ever did even close to that.  Otherwise, very hard driving, innovative rock.  I'm open to stepping into your musical world.  What do you like and what separates it from the rest for you.  Also, recommendations for concert?  Who can bring it on stage and is not what you would think from just listening to their music?
Front Page!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
Front Page!
Did we lose ALL our writers?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 03:45:30 PM »
Harvey: 3 Doors Down is a great concert. I have seen them twice and they do exactly as you say. 

Suggestions:
1.Go to the iTunes store. 
2. Surf a couple of genres & Look for their top 100 sellers and give each one a sample.
3.If you like it go out and find it for free, download it.

or set up an account on Pandora, find a new band you want to sample and it will play them and similar artist.

That is how I find out about new music. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 03:53:51 PM »
Harvey: 3 Doors Down is a great concert. I have seen them twice and they do exactly as you say. 

Suggestions:
2. Surf a couple of genres & Look for their top 100 sellers and give each one a sample.

or set up an account on Pandora, find a new band you want to sample and it will play them and similar artist.

Better yet.

1. Go to http://www.pandora.com
2. Click "Create A New Station" for any band that you can think of that you like.
3. Listen to free internet radio, and when you hear a band you're not familiar with but like, download all of their shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 04:57:56 PM »
Damn, I start a thread and someone cut a line in the neighborhood and knocks out everything.  Phones, intrawebs etc.  I guess what I'm asking is why Five Finger Death Punch?  I've never heard of them so how would I know to go sample some of their music.  Rock & Roll?  Jazz? Hippity Hop?  BTDub..I'm open to all kinds of music.  If you're looking for something unique, check out some Truth or Dare or Lapdance by NERD. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 05:16:03 PM »
Damn, I start a thread and someone cut a line in the neighborhood and knocks out everything.  Phones, intrawebs etc.  I guess what I'm asking is why Five Finger Death Punch?  I've never heard of them so how would I know to go sample some of their music.  Rock & Roll?  Jazz? Hippity Hop?  BTDub..I'm open to all kinds of music.  If you're looking for something unique, check out some Truth or Dare or Lapdance by NERD. 

R&B with a little Hip-Hop flava

http://www.fivefingerdeathpunch.com/home.html

You can listen a bit here...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 11:36:27 PM »

Suggestions:

Better yet.

1. Go to http://www.pandora.com
2. Click "Create A New Station" for any band that you can think of that you like.
3. Listen to free internet radio, and when you hear a band you're not familiar with but like, download all of their poop.

Chizad, I am going to start accusing you of not reading peoples post. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 06:26:33 AM »
R&B and Rock-n-Roll.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 06:27:05 AM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 07:49:53 AM »
I can't stand a lot of the pop music that's out today.  I think one of the perverse issues that's been created by what Harvey discribes, is the misdirected credit in that genre of music.  I think the talent lies not with the dime a dozen pop "stars", but rather the producers and musical technicians that make these clowns (like Ke$ha) sound listen"able". 

Even country music has taken a disturbing turn for me.  It seems like every country song at this point has become a submission in some Redneck of the Year contest.  Look, I get it Country Star A, B & C, you remember your high school days fondly while drinking beer on the back of the tailgate of your Ford, Chevrolet or tractor.
Fuck me sideways if EVERY fucking song doesn't mention a truck somewhere in it.  Try it, even my fiance thought I was embelishing, but she chuckles now if we happen to listen, and the truck tag gets applied.

I'm also not impressed with the whole Phish and Widespread thing.  It's not so much the band's themselves rather than the whole kentucky waterfall haircut, frat, Birkinstock hippie genre of people that act like following some band is the one and only thing that validates their life.  Good band, but get over yourself, or I'll have James Hetfield of Metallica take you out with a hatchet.

It seems that there's a fine line of truly talented bands out there that I follow and seem to respect.  Doesn't mean I like ALL of them (ie; Nickleback for example)...but most rock bands today are still out there doing just that.  Rocking out with guitars, drums and a singer that on a power level, punks Phish and Widespread, Steely Dan and others right under the table.

I find myself listening to older rock, and SOME current rock more than anything.

To chill out on the road, I'll listen to some things that are WAY OFF reservation for most here.  I actually enjoy some things like Enigma, Delerium and some of the Easy stuff that most here would only try to make fun of, rather than admit they listen to it to at times.

Anyway...just my rambles and thoughts on the subject...  :tits:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 09:51:40 AM »
 Rocking out with guitars, drums and a singer that on a power level, punks Phish and Widespread, Steely Dan and others right under the table.

Anyway...just my rambles and thoughts on the subject...  :tits:

PEG would kick your ass for saying that......

Be careful what you say....

"It will come back to you."
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 09:52:23 AM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 01:07:54 PM »

Quite verbose!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 05:51:19 AM »