Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Stupid Adware

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Stupid Adware
« on: January 14, 2009, 11:56:26 PM »
Ok, so something on Facebook has downloaded some adware shit on my laptop.  Are any of the free adware removal programs any good?

Stupid facebook.  I still don't see the appeal.  My college alumnae group is on there, so I joined, but it is pretty stupid.  Who wants a virtual drink?  Who wants to play duck duck goose? 

Really, people?  Seriously? :blink:

Anyway, I have GOT to get this shit off my computer.  Any suggestions welcomed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Stupid Adware
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 12:00:14 AM »
Do you use firefox?  They have some pretty good free addons that eliminate that shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Tiger Wench

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 12:04:57 AM »
No - this is my work laptop and we run IE.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 12:06:45 AM »
No - this is my work laptop and we run IE.

Kaos may know of some.  I haven't used IE in a number of years so I'm not up on what runs good on it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Tiger Wench

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 12:09:23 AM »
Thanks, Howard.  Mabe someone can offer some hints tomorrow...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 12:15:02 AM »
Thanks, Howard.  Mabe someone can offer some hints tomorrow...

Click this site...

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Just follow the instructions.  **DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE "FREE" PLUS OFFER".  It's only "free" for now.  It's a trial.  The main one is good stuff for a freebie.

I'm surprised that your work computer doesn't have a anti-virus with spam-ware protection on it.  What gives?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 12:16:50 AM by AuburnChopper2.0 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 12:21:32 AM »
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

Download the first one. It doesn't hurt to use Spybot and AdAware, although sometimes they may recognize eachother as threats.

I find that Spybot catches stuff that Ad-Aware doesn't.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 12:23:49 AM »
This is my travel computer, not my actual work at work computer.  So the virus software does not get updated as often as it should.  I think something slipped through.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I thought  read something about Spybot and/or AdAware were also kind of spam programs - they just deleted the competitor stuff...?  Maybe not...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 12:25:54 AM »
Nah, they're pretty solid.

For decent free virus scan, try avast.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 12:29:49 AM »
This is my travel computer, not my actual work at work computer.  So the virus software does not get updated as often as it should.  I think something slipped through.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I thought  read something about Spybot and/or AdAware were also kind of spam programs - they just deleted the competitor stuff...?  Maybe not...

Chizad's suggestions are good ones, but trust me, shit is everywhere... get you something on your travel computer before you flat brick it.... in other words, kill it.

Good luck!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 12:38:21 AM »
My brother and his wife's computer was very behing on updates due to its rare use and through there "clicking" had somehow managed to get the malware "antivirus 2009" which is NASTY annoying and a pain to get off your system I learned.  Took me forever because most software (free stuff anyway) cant remove it.  I finally found a great one though

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/uninstall-antivirus-2009

malwarebytes' anti-malware worked like a charm and found a lot of other junk too.  Id recommend it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions