Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Good, The Ugly, The Indifferent

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
The Good, The Ugly, The Indifferent
« on: September 30, 2024, 10:48:36 AM »
The Good, The Bad, The Indifferent

The outcome Saturday was disappointing, to say the least.  Up 21-10 in the 4th, with a chance to put it away.  The sad thing was the feeling I had at that point.  It was more of a, “Are we really going to do this?” than anything else. As crazy as this sounds, I stood there in JHS last season, on 4th and 31, knowing full well, there’s no way we win this game. Unfortunately, that’s what Auburn football has devolved into. 

That’s what 11 years, and this WILL be year 11, of 4 or more losses will do.  It means you’re not winning big games.  It means you’re not competing for anything meaningful.  The most frustrating thing for this lifelong Auburn fan in his 60’s, is that this program has proven time and time again, that it can reach that mountain top.  I’m well aware that Auburn football has always been a rollercoaster ride, but the ride has been shut down and waiting for parts for far too long now.

But, I’m not quitting Auburn football, or losing faith that better times are just around the corner.  Not going to get too deep in the weeds about it.  I hope it’s Hugh, and he has a plan, and we just have to ride it out a little longer. If not, then we’ll move on and try somebody else.  That’s what all programs do. We’re no different.  So, just a few observations, the good and the ugly:

Good:  Last week, I got to crash GH’s tailgate, and partake of several beers with him, although he was drinking vagina brew, Snakebite and Kaos.  Didn’t go to the game, but was not going to pass up the opportunity.  This week, I got to spend an Auburn Saturday with my son.  Good tailgate, good food, good people, including Snake, who came by to steal beers from somebody’s cooler.  You can’t take that boy anywhere.

Ugly: Have I said more than 74 times how much I F’n HATE the Jaytron XL 6000 Scoreboard?  Well, I don’t care. I will campaign for that monstrosity to be demolished until that happens, or I die.  One of the two.  If I were the band director, I would put out a hit on whoever the “DJ” is.  Constantly playing woompa-boomp garbage while the band is playing.  It’s 4th down for Auburn with the most crucial play of the game, and that thing is blasting crap at deafening levels.  There were people all around me hollering. “Pleeeeease shut the F*** up!!!”

Good: Outside of the Jaytron trying to ruin it for everyone, Pat Dye Field at Jordan-Hare Stadium was electric.  Fans showed up, and showed out.  Packed stadium that many times, was so loud you couldn’t hear yourself think.  That’s the kind of deafening level I enjoy.  And all for a 2-2 team that’s not playing well.

Ugly: There were some good things that happened on the field Saturday.  At times, we looked like a dang fine team on both sides of the ball. But this team is still not Back Street Boys.  Scuse’ me, In Sync. At least for Saturday, they completely ditched any hurry up, and they huddle for quite a while.  Time after time after time, they would break the huddle, and guys would line up in the wrong spot.  The entire day, it looked like a Chinese Fire Drill. (Can you say Fire Drill?) No, you’re supposed to be in the slot.  No, dumbass, you’re on the left side.  At one point, Izavion Miller had to physically grab big Percy and send him to the other tackle spot.  And don’t get me started on the QB and receivers being on the same page.  They’re not.  Too many times after plays where Thorne was barking at receivers, clearly saying they weren’t in the right spot.  I have no clue who is right or wrong.  Just that there’s no excuse for it being like that at this point.

Good:  This is not an excuse in any way, but I don’t think people realize how many freshmen are either starting, or playing significant roles on both sides of the ball.  Bradyn Joiner is a redshirt freshman, but he was forced into duty on the line when Miller went out.  I don’t recall this many freshmen doing this much.  Cam Coleman, Malcolm Simmons, Amaris Williams, Malik Blocton, Demarcus Riddick, Kaleb Harris, Jay Crawford, and Towns “Yips” McGough.  Bodes well for the future.

Ugly: The Jaytron XL Super 6000
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: The Good, The Ugly, The Indifferent
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2024, 11:02:08 AM »
Too many doomsday fans out there.
Your last point cannot be reiterated enough. Our roster was decimated when CHF got here. Its damn near impossible to rebuild a roster through the portal. You can add pieces, but you can't build a team.
Any logical fan knew this would be a three year, at least, build. Did we hope for the ball to bounce our way this season more than not? heck yeah. Has it thus far? Heck no!

CHF is not going anywhere for another 2 years. That is how long it will take to just fill the roster with a solid base of top notch recruits. If he can do that, regardless if he wins 10 games or not, this program will be back on solid ground for the next guy.

I don't think most fans realized just how close to life support we were. Heck, I was not even aware of it until I started doing some digging.

Clay Travis should be coming out with an 85% article on AU fans pretty soon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

jmar

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2024, 11:08:04 AM »
I had my suspicions about KLS when we landed him. Thorne was lauded as a coach on the field. Bring in Sam Jackson V and now you have a built-in cliche in the Freeze offense.

I'm not denying there's talent there but maybe KLS wanted to assert himself more into James Franklin's offense than the coach was comfortable with.

I think this is exactly what Freeze has allowed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2024, 11:24:25 AM »
I'm cool knowing we have a youthful team, not cool leaning on it as a fallback excuse.

Coach it!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2024, 11:59:48 AM »
Snags, just wondering if I could get your thoughts on the Jumbotron that Jay Jacobs had installed a few years ago?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2024, 12:04:43 PM »
I'm cool knowing we have a youthful team, not cool leaning on it as a fallback excuse.

Coach it!

You can "coach it" all you want, but the facts are clear, success in this position is extremely low percentage. With a team that only had a third of the base left when the coach started, rebuilding is an understatement.
And the third that was left was not even a top class.

And this team is not so much young as it is, lower talent and less experienced. We are about where the powers that be felt we would be. They knew the score. 

Its fans that can't fathom just how bad off we were. I believe this is the first true rebuild that AU has undergone in my lifetime.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

jmar

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2024, 12:10:43 PM »
I know a fifth year senior shouldn't be forcing balls right into the breadbasket of any team's defense to be batted down or worse. Thorne did that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
bgreene,
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2024, 12:22:36 PM »
Bummy the Beaver brought this on himself. 

Remember opening day press conference?  "Things are different. It won't take me long at all to rebuild the roster in this new NIL world..." 

He's the one who essentially guaranteed instant success and hasn't delivered anything that has any resemblance to that.

Losing happens, especially in the SEC.  That's never been what bothered me. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2024, 12:23:09 PM »
Snags, just wondering if I could get your thoughts on the Jumbotron that Jay Jacobs had installed a few years ago?

This.  Inquiring minds need to know!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2024, 12:24:45 PM »
Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but that was the most playing time I've seen for Demarcus Riddick.  That kid looked like he had some sideline to sideline speed, and arrived with bad intentions.

Just an observation from the game.  We tried to get Malcolm Simmons the ball on the corners to use his speed.  As we should!!!  Either our WR's suck at teh blocks, or their corners are really good at teh tackles.  They strung him out and nailed him every time. 

BTW, Simmons is already a weapon, but I think he's going to get better and better. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2024, 12:28:34 PM »
Bummy the Beaver brought this on himself. 

Remember opening day press conference?  "Things are different. It won't take me long at all to rebuild the roster in this new NIL world..." 

He's the one who essentially guaranteed instant success and hasn't delivered anything that has any resemblance to that.

Losing happens, especially in the SEC.  That's never been what bothered me. 

Well, people always argue that God never said how long a day was.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2024, 12:34:22 PM »

I have already gone to www.wile.e.coyote.com and ordered a crate of Acme Explosives.  They should arrive any day now, and when they do....KABLEWEY!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2024, 03:38:44 PM »
11 years in a row? Sheesh, I hadn't thought about that but that really put in perspective that Auburn football is basically Ole Miss with a Cam Newton trophy in the case.  :facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2024, 04:12:41 PM »
11 years in a row? Sheesh, I hadn't thought about that but that really put in perspective that Auburn football is basically Ole Miss with a Cam Newton trophy in the case.  :facepalm:

My buddy sent me this stat over the weekend.

In the 16 seasons since Tuberville left, we've had 4 seasons where we won nine or more games.  TAnd two of those, we played for a national title.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2024, 08:46:34 AM »
My buddy sent me this stat over the weekend.

In the 16 seasons since Tuberville left, we've had 4 seasons where we won nine or more games.  TAnd two of those, we played for a national title.
The difference between Malzahn and Freeze beyond the indecision and quirkiness for me is that Gus was far more run oriented... to the detriment of a running back. Hugh wants to throw it more but it's high risk as witnessed by TD to INT ratios of his past QBs. To his credit he had very few turtles at Ole Miss and Liberty. Gus had autopilot Cam and read option Nick. I really would prefer to bring a young QB along but I don't think Auburn can survive much more losing and needs to find "lightning in a bottle" from the portal. I hate it but that seems to be our best option, maybe our only option.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2024, 08:54:35 AM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2024, 10:40:20 AM »
The difference between Malzahn and Freeze beyond the indecision and quirkiness for me is that Gus was far more run oriented... to the detriment of a running back. Hugh wants to throw it more but it's high risk as witnessed by TD to INT ratios of his past QBs. To his credit he had very few turtles at Ole Miss and Liberty. Gus had autopilot Cam and read option Nick. I really would prefer to bring a young QB along but I don't think Auburn can survive much more losing and needs to find "lightning in a bottle" from the portal. I hate it but that seems to be our best option, maybe our only option.

I’m not sure CHF is more pass happy. I think the RPO allows for the choice. And so far the QB is seeing pass instead of run. And that makes sense. Any defense that plays us will play to stop the run and force the pass. The pass in which we are not real good at right now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2024, 05:19:16 PM »
FUCK GEORGIA!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2024, 09:22:20 AM »
I too would like to see the video screen demolished.  And while we're at it, can we take the "DJ", crowd surf him to the top row and throw him over the rail like an opponent's football that escapes the All State net and finds its way into the crowd?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.