Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Time for Thorne to Get his Roses?

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Time for Thorne to Get his Roses?
« on: August 07, 2024, 03:26:45 PM »
According to one of the LONE Auburn football stories on Al.com, the players certainly are buying some Payton Thorne stock. A few choice quotes:

Payton, he’s really comfortable back there. Payton knows everything that’s going on. When he knows what’s going on, he’s more comfortable, he knows the right checks (and) he knows the right reads to make. - Rivaldo Fairweather

The way he goes through his progressions and reads, it’s crazy. He threw a ball today that made me go, ‘Oh, my God. Payton is so good. I just can’t wait for y’all to see that side of him. - Damari Alston

think the main thing was the receiver room — we didn’t have a lot of juice in the room. Now, we’ve got those guys and you see Payton kind of flourishing. You need guys around you. He’s flourishing. If you guys are out there today, you can see that Payton just... he’s quick, he’s decisive with everything he does. And I feel like people didn’t really get to see a lot of that last year just because of the struggles that they had on offense. But this year is going to be a different ballgame for sure.- Sam Jackson V

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Time for Thorne to Get his Roses?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2024, 03:28:36 PM »
I believe the kid can win big.  Legit targets to throw to, adequate protection and a robust running game will have our guy showing out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2024, 03:59:25 PM »
I’m cautiously optimistic about Thorne.  He’s got a ton of experience, has had some good success in the past, and definitely looks the part on the read option.  Still, he was inaccurate on a lot of throws last season, and on occasion, do some cringe-worthy stare downs of receivers.

I heard an interview with U Free last week, and he said the biggest difference from last season to now, is Thorne seems completely comfortable with everything, from the playbook, to reads, progressions etc.

If that’s the case, he should be much better with 1. An improved O-line.  They should be a good bit better. 2. U Free far more involved in the offense. 3. “Juice” in the WR room, according to Mr. Jackson V. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2024, 04:00:18 PM »
I believe the kid can win big.  Legit targets to throw to, adequate protection and a robust running game will have our guy showing out.

I hope you're right, Wes. Last year, he looked more like Edward Scissorhands out there which is why we had to play a helluva lot of defense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

wesfau2

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2024, 04:31:18 PM »
Relevant (shade at the '23 WR room):

https://x.com/_JHokanson/status/1821254247163289843
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2024, 08:35:02 AM »
Relevant (shade at the '23 WR room):

https://x.com/_JHokanson/status/1821254247163289843

Yeah, last year's guys just weren't SEC-caliber. Facts of that proven on the field. Couple with the mess that was the OC/Playcalling situation, recipe for disaster and it was.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
GH2001,
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2024, 09:43:15 AM »
Yeah, last year's guys just weren't SEC-caliber. Facts of that proven on the field. Couple with the mess that was the OC/Playcalling situation, recipe for disaster and it was.
We witnessed a terrible team that was mostly overmatched against even the weakest opponents on the 2023 schedule while somehow summoning a puncher's chance resembling 2009 against our biggest rivals. I don't know what to expect but I do know those weaknesses have been all but eliminated, even bolstered with exception of the quarterback position.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2024, 10:08:55 AM »
We witnessed a terrible team that was mostly overmatched against even the weakest opponents on the 2023 schedule while somehow summoning a puncher's chance resembling 2009 against our biggest rivals. I don't know what to expect but I do know those weaknesses have been all but eliminated, even bolstered with exception of the quarterback position.

<nodding along>yes, yes...</record scratch>

PT AIN'T THE GODDAMNED PROBLEM!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2024, 12:32:03 PM »

Didn't say he was only his performance would lead most any observer to believe otherwise. I actually think he might be serving up some crow to the army of naysayers.

Btw I don't say it as much as some of the others but you are smarter than this.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2024, 02:48:40 PM »
Didn't say he was only his performance would lead most any observer to believe otherwise. I actually think he might be serving up some crow to the army of naysayers.

Btw I don't say it as much as some of the others but you are smarter than this.

Last season, U Free frequently said Thorne makes all the throws and looks the part in practice.  That didn't always translate into success on Saturdays. I think the vast majority of that was due to the system in place, and the definite lack of talent around him.  But not all, by any means.  He did some stupid shit on more than one or two occasions.

As I said above, the O-line should be significantly improved.  Not great, or dominant, but a hell of a lot better than we've had in maybe 5-6 years.  U Free will definitely be 100% more involved than he was last season, along with new OC, Derrick Nix.  And the "Juice" in the WR room?

Take away the studs in this freshman class, who, if at Alabama, would be the #1, #2, #3 and #4 top preseason Heisman contenders because, you know, Alabama. Forget them for a second.  Take the combined 2023 numbers of transfers, KeAndre Lambert-Smith and Robert Lewis alone.

123 receptions for 1,550 yards and 11 TD's

Now take the combined 2023 stats of the 9 (NINE) wide receivers for us.

98 receptions for 1,284 yards and 7 TD's.

So, take that production that transferred in, add who was by far, our leading receiver last year, TE Revolver Good Forecast, then bring the juice from Cam Coleman, Perry Thompson, Malcolm Simmons, Bryce Cain and Sam Jackson, Jr. VIXXV.

I think Thorne should be able to fix most of his shortcomings from last season. If he does....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2024, 03:22:07 PM »
Every cowboy sings his sad, sad song
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2024, 03:26:20 PM »
Every cowboy sings his sad, sad song

Like the knife that cuts you, the wound heals, but the scar, that scar remains...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2024, 03:36:07 PM »
Like the knife that cuts you, the wound heals, but the scar, that scar remains...

now I hear you found somebody Hugh
And that we never meant that much to you
To hear that tears me up inside....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2024, 03:39:52 PM »
Last season, U Free frequently said Thorne makes all the throws and looks the part in practice.  That didn't always translate into success on Saturdays. I think the vast majority of that was due to the system in place, and the definite lack of talent around him.  But not all, by any means.  He did some stupid shit on more than one or two occasions.

As I said above, the O-line should be significantly improved.  Not great, or dominant, but a hell of a lot better than we've had in maybe 5-6 years.  U Free will definitely be 100% more involved than he was last season, along with new OC, Derrick Nix.  And the "Juice" in the WR room?

Take away the studs in this freshman class, who, if at Alabama, would be the #1, #2, #3 and #4 top preseason Heisman contenders because, you know, Alabama. Forget them for a second.  Take the combined 2023 numbers of transfers, KeAndre Lambert-Smith and Robert Lewis alone.

123 receptions for 1,550 yards and 11 TD's

Now take the combined 2023 stats of the 9 (NINE) wide receivers for us.

98 receptions for 1,284 yards and 7 TD's.

So, take that production that transferred in, add who was by far, our leading receiver last year, TE Revolver Good Forecast, then bring the juice from Cam Coleman, Perry Thompson, Malcolm Simmons, Bryce Cain and Sam Jackson, Jr. VIXXV.

I think Thorne should be able to fix most of his shortcomings from last season. If he does....

I want the midtown mullet to make me forget about skirting out of bounds short on a 4th down against LSU & playing fetal beetle against A&M. I smelt his vagina through the TV when those things happened. No more playing scared. Play to win. Mistakes happen, but I wanna see some courage and heart.

If he can’t do it, give me the backup.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2024, 04:26:39 PM »
I want the midtown mullet to make me forget about skirting out of bounds short on a 4th down against LSU & playing fetal beetle against A&M. I smelt his vagina through the TV when those things happened. No more playing scared. Play to win. Mistakes happen, but I wanna see some courage and heart.

If he can’t do it, give me the backup.

You've got to let go of those HB24 dreams, man.  You're only making yourself sick with stress.  It's not good for you.  I'm really trying to help here. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2024, 04:29:11 PM »
now I hear you found somebody Hugh
And that we never meant that much to you
To hear that tears me up inside....

And Snags will cut a bitch with his knife, I guess...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2024, 04:30:58 PM »
You've got to let go of those HB24 dreams, man.  You're only making yourself sick with stress.  It's not good for you.  I'm really trying to help here.

Thing is, I want Payton to play for Auburn like he did for Meat Chicken State. If he does that, I’ll lead us all in Bodda Getta. I want him to prove me wrong.

Hank Brown will be our first Championship QB of the Hue Fresh era. You heard it here first, folks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2024, 04:40:05 PM »
Thing is, I want Payton to play for Auburn like he did for Meat Chicken State. If he does that, I’ll lead us all in Bodda Getta. I want him to prove me wrong.

Hank Brown will be our first Championship QB of the Hue Fresh era. You heard it here first, folks.

I don't know about that second part, although he was the titz against Maryland's 8th skring.

I'm the same way, though.  Despite his shortcomings, I think Thorne is a decent QB who transferred into a much mo shittier situation than he was expecting. Every expert and analyst this time last year, had us picked last, or next to last in the West.  There was really legit reasoning behind that. We sucked!

We had 3 SEC wins against the only teams picked to be mo shittier than we were.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2024, 08:15:02 AM »

That's bold, Cotton. Looks like he's fighting Holden Grenier for sloppy seconds.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2024, 09:29:50 AM »
I think we can go anywhere from 8-4 to even 10-2 depending on how we do in back to back road games at Missouri and Kentucky.
No illusions about beating Georgia in Athens but we have a very good staff and talent that will only improve into the month of October where it gets dicey.

Know it's crazy to think this way given we haven't beaten anyone of any consequence since 2019 when JaTarvious Boobee Whitlow went off for 114 yards in Tuscaloosa but
this is that kind of team.
Auburn went 9-3 with a smattering of talent compared to this one.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2024, 10:36:01 AM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions