Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

What happened to great movies (ramblings & complaints)?

What happened to great movies (ramblings & complaints)?
« on: June 25, 2024, 03:00:23 PM »
Y'know, when thinking of the last "epic" movie I watched, I had to go back a ways to Interstellar in 2014.  I would probably have to go back even further to think of the last instant comedy classic that I watched, likely landing on Tropic Thunder or Step Brothers in 2008.  I know this is opinion-based, but there aren't any movies in the past few years or in the future that excite me to the point of a ceremonial countdown anymore.  I have an Auburn Football countdown & will have a Stranger Things 5 countdown when they announce a release date, which I will certainly take off work to binge.  I hate it for my kid(s) that a defining film is hard to come by these days, and that they will miss out on the magic of it all in their growing years that I was fortunate enough to experience.  Sure, there are ones that are good for short-sighted entertainment, but I am strictly referring to the ones that stick with ya for decades as all time greats.  They don't seem to make those anymore, and it is a true shame.  I could go into the reasons that I think why, but most of that would belong on The SGA.  However, leaving politics aside, what other reasons could there be for all the mediocrity?  Are humans less creative as time passes on?  Are we dumber now than we were 10-20 years ago as a society?         
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: What happened to great movies (ramblings & complaints)?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2024, 03:18:08 PM »
Marvel killed the movies.

Unrealistic box office expectations...if it's not going to make half a billion, what's the point?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2024, 03:33:57 PM »

Unrealistic box office expectations...if it's not going to make half a billion, what's the point?

This is a good take I haven’t thought of. Maybe the first phase Marvel movies induced tunnel vision to a degree that put limits on creativity.

That same concept could be negatively impacting scientific discovery as well, I think. Not the biggest fan of NDT, but I listened to him recently on a podcast and he said that “not knowing the right questions to ask” keeps him up at night. Easy to get sucked into a train of thought and trying to expand on questions already asked rather than to be a pioneer, potentially going against the grain.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2024, 04:34:39 PM »
The Marvel Movies and  D+ shows caused Super Hero Fatigue, along with not being very well done (She Hulk and Ms Marvel come to mind).

Would add that I think there have been really good movies, I really enjoyed Dune parts 1 and 2, but I think they are few and far between as opposed to pre-Covid.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2024, 04:58:26 PM »
Last movie I saw at a theater was Top Gun Maverick. I know we debated about this, because I was the only person on the planet who walked out with a big sigh of MEH!  If the movie stood alone and wasn't a "sequel", I probably would have been as blown away as the original.  But, it was the exact, same script with different characters...except they were the same characters.  Personally thought it was lazy.

And you guys are absolutely correct on the Marvel take.  They saturated the market with poorly done flicks. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2024, 05:16:35 PM »
Last movie I saw at a theater was Top Gun Maverick. I know we debated about this, because I was the only person on the planet who walked out with a big sigh of MEH!  If the movie stood alone and wasn't a "sequel", I probably would have been as blown away as the original.  But, it was the exact, same script with different characters...except they were the same characters.  Personally thought it was lazy.

And you guys are absolutely correct on the Marvel take.  They saturated the market with poorly done flicks.

Yeah. I guess what it boils down to is that there is a hole in my heart where excitement for upcoming movies used to be. Hoping it makes a comeback.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2024, 05:26:41 PM »
Would add that I think there have been really good movies, I really enjoyed Dune parts 1 and 2, but I think they are few and far between as opposed to pre-Covid.

Dune is okay. Haven’t seen the 2nd installation yet. The 1st one really had a weird, slow cadence. Slower than slow in some portions. I’d put it below The Matrix, The Lord of the Rings, and hell… even the Harry Potter films as far as impact/entertainment value.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2024, 05:51:00 PM »

I think you are somewhat right actually. All the explosions, huge budgets, CGI, etc. People don't go for movies with human meaning like Breakfast Club, Forrest Gump, Stand by Me, Shawshank, Schindlers List, Green Mile, etc.

They want the sugar covered overstimulation from all the movies done by the Russo Brothers, Joss Whedon, JJ Abrams, yes even Christopher Nolan and Spielberg to an extent. At least the latter two have complex stories to most of their stuff. 

Then in the horror genre, Jason Blum has simply watered everything down with his cookie cutter M Night impression hes been attempting the last 12 years.

To Snake's point - Was more than two years ago, but I really liked Peanut Butter Falcon. It would have been an unreal smash 30 years ago like Gump was. But not so much now. I find Dune and Avatar visually appealing in IMAX and I totally respect the work there. But they just didn't land for me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2024, 05:55:20 PM »
Side note:

I like Robert Eggers. Hes got a new one coming out Christmas Day - Nosferatu. Starring Dafoe, Johnny Depp's daughter, Bill Skarsgaard, few others. 

Not sure it's the best choice given the subject matter but.....it's "different". His other movies were quality even if you can't quite pin them to one genre. The VVitch, Northman, The Lighthouse. I have not seen the last one with Dafoe and Pattinson. But I think his movies show promise. Well done, different, and they are great at building suspense and exploring the human element in a horror setting.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 05:57:19 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2024, 05:56:59 PM »
I think you are somewhat right actually. All the explosions, huge budgets, CGI, etc. People don't go for movies with human meaning like Breakfast Club, Forrest Gump, Stand by Me, Shawshank, Schindlers List, Green Mile, etc.

They want the sugar covered overstimulation from all the movies done by the Russo Brothers, Joss Whedon, JJ Abrams, yes even Christopher Nolan and Spielberg to an extent. At least the latter two have complex stories to most of their stuff. 

Then in the horror genre, Jason Blum has simply watered everything down with his cookie cutter M Night impression hes been attempting the last 12 years.

To Snake's point - Was more than two years ago, but I really liked Peanut Butter Falcon. It would have been an unreal smash 30 years ago like Gump was. But not so much now. I find Dune and Avatar visually appealing in IMAX and I totally respect the work there. But they just didn't land for me.

Peanut Butter Falcon was a pretty tits movie! Shia showed some range. Similar to a Simon Birch in the feels category.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
GH2001,
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2024, 05:59:20 PM »
Peanut Butter Falcon was a pretty tits movie! Shia showed some range. Similar to a Simon Birch in the feels category.

Cinderella Man was another I liked a lot because I knew the story of it. Although it's probably 15 years old now. At least.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2024, 09:05:35 PM »
Y'know, when thinking of the last "epic" movie I watched, I had to go back a ways to Interstellar in 2014.  I would probably have to go back even further to think of the last instant comedy classic that I watched, likely landing on Tropic Thunder or Step Brothers in 2008.  I know this is opinion-based, but there aren't any movies in the past few years or in the future that excite me to the point of a ceremonial countdown anymore.  I have an Auburn Football countdown & will have a Stranger Things 5 countdown when they announce a release date, which I will certainly take off work to binge.  I hate it for my kid(s) that a defining film is hard to come by these days, and that they will miss out on the magic of it all in their growing years that I was fortunate enough to experience.  Sure, there are ones that are good for short-sighted entertainment, but I am strictly referring to the ones that stick with ya for decades as all time greats.  They don't seem to make those anymore, and it is a true shame.  I could go into the reasons that I think why, but most of that would belong on The SGA.  However, leaving politics aside, what other reasons could there be for all the mediocrity?  Are humans less creative as time passes on?  Are we dumber now than we were 10-20 years ago as a society?       
I used to read your posts but this looks almost as verbose as Snaggleturd’s ridiculousness. Can’t do it.

Do you even feel yourself getting more like him? I’m not calling you an outright faggot but I’m just pointing out something.

Are you aware of what paragraphs are? It gives the reader a blow. Let me rephrase that. A break. One needs a break, occasionally.

I actually attempt reading your post but I got lightheaded and passed out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2024, 09:10:52 PM »
I used to read your posts but this looks almost as verbose as Snaggleturd’s ridiculousness. Can’t do it.

Do you even feel yourself getting more like him? I’m not calling you an outright faggot but I’m just pointing out something.

Are you aware of what paragraphs are? It gives the reader a blow. Let me rephrase that. A break. One needs a break, occasionally.

I actually attempt reading your post but I got lightheaded and passed out.

Proper paragraphs also have indentations. Nerd.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2024, 10:35:01 PM »
It’s more than marvel. 

1. The faux-pandemic killed theaters. People got used to waiting a week or two and finding movies on some streaming service. 

2. TV size.  Everybody has some giant 85” set with a sound system.  Seriously. Even in the poorest projects. 

3. Overwhelming choices.  So many streaming services. So many choices.  All from your couch.

4. Diversity and a lack of ideas.  Hey! Let’s make the mermaid black!  Let’s make Marie Antoinette black.  Let’s just reboot this and remake that.  How about Matlock. But he’s a woman?  Let’s rework Star Wars and make the Jedi a bunch of black space witches!  Ohh. I know. Snow Hispanic and the seven soy boys’!!

The end is there is a plethora of content.  Too much. Most of it is terrible.  Studios have been taken over by people more interested in pushing some fringe social agenda than they are making quality films. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snakebite,GH2001,
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2024, 08:52:23 AM »
The Lighthouse. I have not seen the last one with Dafoe and Pattinson.

It's really good.  I wanted to hate on Pattinson for his Twilight origins, but he has turned out to be pretty great.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.