Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Turn Out the Lights

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Turn Out the Lights
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2024, 05:29:12 PM »
I will always maintain he tanked the second season after the failed coup d'etat following year one. (Some which may have even been true, but was executed worse than the Auburn passing game.) After that, I think he and his agent said, fine, let's get this buyout.

Please refrain from reciting the Finebaum mantra in this forum.  Failure to comply will result in the Bailiff whacking your pee-pee.

Seriously, that was his standard line, repeated about 1,000X a day.  Auburn's two failed coup attempts on Harpin.

The first failed "coup" attempt, was after Gus was fired, and it was reported that a group of influential boosters wanted Kevin Steele to take over.  Maybe that was true, maybe not.  Seems a bit far-fetched given Steele's stellar coaching record.  But hey, we did hire 5-19 Gene.

Small problems with that. First, who cares?  Does anyone think there aren't influential boosters at LSU, Tennessee, Florida, Bama etc. who have their own ideas when a coaching change is being made? But more importantly, the rumor about Steele was being circulated before Gus' tail lights were across the Lee County line.  Halpin's name wasn't even mentioned until 8 days later.  Hardly a coup attempt on Haysin, but don't let facts get in the way of PF stirring a pot.

As for the second "coup", let's see, after one year on the job, the man they hired to get it going in the right direction, had:

*The first losing record in over a decade

*The greatest exodus of players from the program evah, and some of them weren't saying very nice things about Breeman Hatpin

* He fires a coach mid-season.  He fires his OC after the season.  His DC leaves for a lesser job, and has some parting shots for his old boss.  Several other coaches leave on the own accord as well.

* He hires a guy as his OC, who has never been an OC, and who decides...naaaa...just over a month later.

* Recruiting is at it's worst in over a decade, and high school coaches around the state are saying they've never met the man.  In other words, the man was either lazy, cocky, or had zero idea what recruiting is all about in this league.  Probably a combination of all of the above.

* There are rumors, who knows if substantiated or not (But it's on the interwebz, so...you know) of Bryland playing Plumber, and laying pipe in a hot assistant who followed him from Boise. 

That's just a brief overview of his first season.  What gets me is people saying it's a coup attempt, when Auburn takes a step back and says, before this thing spirals totally out of control, we need to see if we hired the right guy.

I think what's even funnier is asking the questions...if our boosters are the puppeteers, and running the show...why wasn't Kevin Steele named HC?  And why wasn't Brakeman Havlin fired after that second coup attempt? Hmmmm..... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2024, 05:56:58 PM »
Off topic but I saw where Humperdink tweeted his support of Sunbelt Billy. 

Isn’t that sort of like OJ tweeting support of Scott Peterson?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

War Damn Six

• Pale Rider
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2024, 08:36:46 PM »
Please refrain from reciting the Finebaum mantra in this forum.  Failure to comply will result in the Bailiff whacking your pee-pee.

Seriously, that was his standard line, repeated about 1,000X a day.  Auburn's two failed coup attempts on Harpin.

The first failed "coup" attempt, was after Gus was fired, and it was reported that a group of influential boosters wanted Kevin Steele to take over.  Maybe that was true, maybe not.  Seems a bit far-fetched given Steele's stellar coaching record.  But hey, we did hire 5-19 Gene.

Small problems with that. First, who cares?  Does anyone think there aren't influential boosters at LSU, Tennessee, Florida, Bama etc. who have their own ideas when a coaching change is being made? But more importantly, the rumor about Steele was being circulated before Gus' tail lights were across the Lee County line.  Halpin's name wasn't even mentioned until 8 days later.  Hardly a coup attempt on Haysin, but don't let facts get in the way of PF stirring a pot.

As for the second "coup", let's see, after one year on the job, the man they hired to get it going in the right direction, had:

*The first losing record in over a decade

*The greatest exodus of players from the program evah, and some of them weren't saying very nice things about Breeman Hatpin

* He fires a coach mid-season.  He fires his OC after the season.  His DC leaves for a lesser job, and has some parting shots for his old boss.  Several other coaches leave on the own accord as well.

* He hires a guy as his OC, who has never been an OC, and who decides...naaaa...just over a month later.

* Recruiting is at it's worst in over a decade, and high school coaches around the state are saying they've never met the man.  In other words, the man was either lazy, cocky, or had zero idea what recruiting is all about in this league.  Probably a combination of all of the above.

* There are rumors, who knows if substantiated or not (But it's on the interwebz, so...you know) of Bryland playing Plumber, and laying pipe in a hot assistant who followed him from Boise. 

That's just a brief overview of his first season.  What gets me is people saying it's a coup attempt, when Auburn takes a step back and says, before this thing spirals totally out of control, we need to see if we hired the right guy.

I think what's even funnier is asking the questions...if our boosters are the puppeteers, and running the show...why wasn't Kevin Steele named HC?  And why wasn't Brakeman Havlin fired after that second coup attempt? Hmmmm.....

Make this type of argument in the “what would it take?” thread.  Please. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
WiregrassTiger,
No reactions
“If you're waitin' for a woman to make up her mind, you may have a long wait.” Preacher

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2024, 08:59:01 PM »

Well done, sir.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2024, 09:47:04 AM »

K's posting of the WSJ article spelled it out way better than I could ever do it.  And it's the tip of the iceberg on how horribly Merchan handled this trial. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2024, 10:51:47 AM »
K's posting of the WSJ article opinion piece spelled it out way better than I could ever do it.  And it's the tip of the iceberg on how horribly Merchan handled this trial.

Let's call it what it is.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2024, 11:27:29 AM »
Let's call it what it is.

You lost. Accept it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2024, 11:38:20 AM »

Was all about the money and getting it together. Once Jay Gouge told them, if you want to fire the dude, do it, but you are paying for it this time, they went and got the money together to can the dude.

Hars got hired in the middle of a lot of turmoil and power vacuum at Auburn with the President debacle, Allen Greene turning into a pumpkin, and other upheaval.

And then they hired the Freeze and got the same damn results. Fart in the wind.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2024, 12:08:59 PM »
Was all about the money and getting it together. Once Jay Gouge told them, if you want to fire the dude, do it, but you are paying for it this time, they went and got the money together to can the dude.

Hars got hired in the middle of a lot of turmoil and power vacuum at Auburn with the President debacle, Allen Greene turning into a pumpkin, and other upheaval.

How so?  As I've said before, I think U Free did the smart thing and took a step back to concentrate on the ONLY thing that matters at this point, which is figuring out how to get enough top shelf talent to compete in this league.  If you don't have it, everything else is a mute.......moot point.

And it's working.  He's getting commitments from quality athletes, the likes we haven't seen in a loooong time.  And we're getting elite guys on campus that are putting us at the top of their lists, which almost never happens. It's a neato-keen time.

If he keeps this up, and all indications are that he will, the key will be the staff he puts around him. I have no idea about that.  Right now, I couldn't name all his assistants if I had to.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2024, 01:02:08 PM »
I know nothing of the buyout but the difference in recruiting is due to the top notch staff that Freeze brought in. They are the one's putting the pitch on these prospects, not some half a mind to be involved, year one doesn't matter head coach.

Do you just check out until you do get the talent? HELL NO! When you get a job like Auburn the last thought in your mind is to start tanking as a head coach. You just replaced a total loser.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2024, 02:29:47 PM »
I know nothing of the buyout but the difference in recruiting is due to the top notch staff that Freeze brought in. They are the one's putting the pitch on these prospects, not some half a mind to be involved, year one doesn't matter head coach.

Do you just check out until you do get the talent? HELL NO! When you get a job like Auburn the last thought in your mind is to start tanking as a head coach. You just replaced a total loser.

A few points here.  Some quid pro quo. 

Yes, the coaching staff that Freeze brought in. Huge part of every single coach's responsibilities.  Only as good as those around you. Isn't that why they called Saban the best recruiter in the nation for about 15 years?

Never said he "checked out".  But, it's my opinion, and mine alone, that he installed his offense and let his OC take care of the minutiae, while he focused more, not totally, on the only things that matter right now, recruiting, NIL, the portal, and total roster turnover.  He never had to deal with that before, so either figure it out, or take your buyout.  Maybe coaches like Billy Napier should have been doing the same, instead of causing the major clusterfuck they have now.

As for "tanking", no way.  That's not what I'm saying.  But, when just about every single expert and analyst in the business says, you suck, and you'll be lucky to get out of the cellar in the West, you'd better take care of ^^^ first and foremost. BTW, they were all right, and for a reason.

I have no idea if any of that is what Freeze actually did.  Just what it looked like to me.  The man may have been up til 3:00 a.m. every night studying film.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2024, 03:16:52 PM »
I would think if you have a bright enough QB and you're gashing the other team on the ground you just keep pounding.
As for scheme I'm not sure what scheme aside of hearing the term "RPO" that we are presently. Multiple? Whatever,  It seemed to work for Malik Willis at Liberty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Damn Six

• Pale Rider
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2024, 03:21:52 PM »
I would think if you have a bright enough QB and you're gashing the other team on the ground you just keep pounding.
As for scheme I'm not sure what scheme aside of hearing the term "RPO" that we are presently. Multiple? Whatever,  It seemed to work for Malik Willis at Liberty.

You can’t say “gash” and “pound” in the same sentence.

Foul on the post!  15 yard penalty.  Ejection.  You may not pass go, you may not collect $200. Death.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
“If you're waitin' for a woman to make up her mind, you may have a long wait.” Preacher

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2024, 03:22:19 PM »

Was referring to Hars second year with tanking. I have no doubt Rev. Hue is giving it the ole college try hard for sure. Not sure it's gonna amount to much because I fear his scheme isn't an equalizer anymore. If he's relying on amassing talent and having them figure it out on the field, better hope one of Cam's kids comes of age quick so there can be the guy that leads the light brigade. History says strap in, lower your expectations, crack open a few Mic Ultras, and enjoy the ride.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2024, 03:25:10 PM »

Dudester, I am all about people having their opinions. Even if they are wrong.

I am on record as being against Trump in the 2016 primaries. I was completely wrong and he turned out to be the best president in modern history.

I was very antifreeze. I kept hoping for someone else to emerge.

But, how anyone can say that he’s got the same results? That’s just not the case, at all.

If you are talking wins and losses, ok. But why would you even talk that after one season? I believe that you certainly have enough experience with SEC football to know better.

Recruiting is at an all time high and people can preach results but it’s fucking ridiculous to not recognize the correlation between the two.

Hating the guy is fine/ I’ve changed my opinion and I truly like him. The coaches, players and recruits seem to really respect and like him.

I have no idea if he will win but right now, if I were forced to bet my house, I bet the over on him being at AU for 10 years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2024, 03:33:19 PM »
If you are talking wins and losses, ok.

In sports, that's all that matters. Wins and losses. The scoreboard. The rest of it are factors that influence, but it's about Ws and Ls. And we've been eating Ls like Jameis on some crab legs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2024, 04:24:20 PM »
A few points here.  Some quid pro quo. 

Yes, the coaching staff that Freeze brought in. Huge part of every single coach's responsibilities.  Only as good as those around you. Isn't that why they called Saban the best recruiter in the nation for about 15 years?

Never said he "checked out".  But, it's my opinion, and mine alone, that he installed his offense and let his OC take care of the minutiae, while he focused more, not totally, on the only things that matter right now, recruiting, NIL, the portal, and total roster turnover.  He never had to deal with that before, so either figure it out, or take your buyout.  Maybe coaches like Billy Napier should have been doing the same, instead of causing the major clusterfuck they have now.

As for "tanking", no way.  That's not what I'm saying.  But, when just about every single expert and analyst in the business says, you suck, and you'll be lucky to get out of the cellar in the West, you'd better take care of ^^^ first and foremost. BTW, they were all right, and for a reason.

I have no idea if any of that is what Freeze actually did.  Just what it looked like to me.  The man may have been up til 3:00 a.m. every night studying film.   

I tend to think this is correct.  I'm no Freeze fan, but he hit the trails and solidified relationships and it is paying off.  You can be the brightest motherfucker around, but if your talent is shit, then you're gonna produce shit in the SEC.  We are getting back to having that talent and we're in play for the big dogs now.

I expect wins to follow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2024, 04:26:19 PM »
In sports, that's all that matters. Wins and losses. The scoreboard. The rest of it are factors that influence, but it's about Ws and Ls. And we've been eating Ls like Jameis on some crab legs.

Agreed, to a point.

No one would have told Freeze he had to come in and win "X" amount of games in 2023 (shit, I dunno, he probably heard "you better win more than that potato bitch), because he was dealing with destruction.  So, yes, wins matters over the long haul...it is the evaluation metric.  But there are nuances and exceptions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2024, 04:57:18 PM »
You would be wrong that it’s all that matters. If this were the case, they would not require the players to go to class, they wouldn’t have coaches speaking to QB clubs or care about discipline issues. It is the most important but certainly far from the only thing that matters.

Sorry to have to tell you…well, not really. I don’t give a fuck either way but you’re simply wrong about that.

And you are also wrong about Freeze being the same even if you only look at wins and losses (which is very dumb to only look at, btw). Harsin has the lowest win percentage since 1950 at AU football. Again, Harsin. Not Freeze. And he started his last season at 3-5 iirc. Something close to that.

And if you don’t think that the arguably best (not really that arguable) WR class in Auburn football history, complete 180 in O line talent and depth due to the portal and flipping players from Alabama/Georgia/TAMU etc. matters, then you are definitely not as knowledgeable as I thought.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2024, 05:10:30 PM »
You would be wrong that it’s all that matters. If this were the case, they would not require the players to go to class, they wouldn’t have coaches speaking to QB clubs or care about discipline issues. It is the most important but certainly far from the only thing that matters.

Sorry to have to tell you…well, not really. I don’t give a fuck either way but you’re simply wrong about that.

And you are also wrong about Freeze being the same even if you only look at wins and losses (which is very dumb to only look at, btw). Harsin has the lowest win percentage since 1950 at AU football. Again, Harsin. Not Freeze. And he started his last season at 3-5 iirc. Something close to that.

And if you don’t think that the arguably best (not really that arguable) WR class in Auburn football history, complete 180 in O line talent and depth due to the portal and flipping players from Alabama/Georgia/TAMU etc. matters, then you are definitely not as knowledgeable as I thought.

Salty
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions