Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

To Change or Not To Change?

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
To Change or Not To Change?
« on: October 28, 2019, 03:40:31 PM »
That be the kwerstion.  Do you go to Gatewood and see what he can do?  I know CGM said he wasn't going to change and I also fully get that the back up QB is many times, the most popular player on the team.  Just food for discussion/thought.

I've been a Nix fan from day 1. I thought he had more overall upside than Gatewood for the long haul.  I've said 100 times so far this season that we're going to have growing pains with the true freshman.  I've got to pat myself on the back for that one because I've got pain in my head, my back, my groin and other various and sundry places on my body.  I certainly haven't given up on Nix 8 games in and a ton of his problems stem from his coach constantly putting him in positions to fail.  But, the fact is he is flat out as inaccurate as any QB I've seen at AU.  He is Kadril wild.  That's saying something.

In addition, he doesn't quite grasp the fact that when the pocket is closing in, quickly spiking the ball at your own feet is going to get a flag and loss of down every time.  Bo can't help the fact that 90% of the calls for Seth Williams' are straight up go routes down the sidelines.  Granted, Seth is a huge, physical receiver who can go up and fight for the ball.  But you have to keep the pass inside the confines of the stadium for him to have a chance.  How many times did they throw that same route with the one bit of success coming on a desperation heave?

I have no idea if Gatewood would be better.  Nix will most likely come out against Ole Miss and pull a 17-21 315 yard 4 TD day.  We'll all be happy.  Then FUGA will pressure him into 7-24 and 73 yards with 2 picks.  If you were the Corch, would you turn it over to JG for this game?     
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 03:42:22 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: To Change or Not To Change?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 03:49:46 PM »
I would do exactly what I have been saying the whole year. Give JG a series in the first half, and a series in the second half. If he looks good, bring him back out for an encore.
a that point, we have a 2 QB system. I can live with that. I think if we had that the whole year, both get better and we are undefeated.

Is Nix horrible? No. But I do think Gus is close to breaking him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 04:09:23 PM »
I would do exactly what I have been saying the whole year. Give JG a series in the first half, and a series in the second half. If he looks good, bring him back out for an encore.
a that point, we have a 2 QB system. I can live with that. I think if we had that the whole year, both get better and we are undefeated.

Sounds reasonable.  Go with the hot hand.  Or lukewarm paw.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 04:59:32 PM »
It doesn’t matter what we do until we change head coaches. I went and looked at history of my posts on here, and each year for the past 6 we have been bitching about the same things. 

He’s going to destroy whatever he touches.  For Gatewoods’s sake he should refuse to play for and be taught by him. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"X's and O's they haunt Gus" - Elle King

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 05:34:11 PM »

I agree with CCTAU, I'm not avocating a QB change Nix has shown he can win games.  I think the crowds really got to him in both games, because he isn't as wild in the confines of JHS.

What I would love to see is bring out a Gatewood package have 12 scripted plays the kid knows forwards and backward with RPO in there and let him run those 12 plays HUNH style.  I thought this would have been a great change of pace against LSU and would have thrown them off.  But what do I know I don't get paid 7 million a year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 05:42:32 PM »
I agree with CCTAU, I'm not avocating a QB change Nix has shown he can win games.  I think the crowds really got to him in both games, because he isn't as wild in the confines of JHS.

What I would love to see is bring out a Gatewood package have 12 scripted plays the kid knows forwards and backward with RPO in there and let him run those 12 plays HUNH style.  I thought this would have been a great change of pace against LSU and would have thrown them off.  But what do I know I don't get paid 7 million a year.
Yeah, it's a tough call, but I think at this point, he'd be wise to do just that.  Give JG a set of scripted plays and see what he can do.  Problem is, Gus sucks at writing scripts.  Handing the ball off up the middle on 9 of those plays doesn't give him much to work with.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 07:02:15 PM »
Go to Gatewood and Sandberg.
Play whatever we have.
What does it matter? Gus is in control.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 07:05:49 PM »
Gus is the problem.  

Every quarterback who puts on an Auburn uniform does not become a functioning idiot on his own.  

Every quarterback but one we've had since Gus arrived on campus has struggled with mechanics, footwork, accuracy, decision-making and productivity.  

Cam was a phenomenal talent but still entered the NFL as raw as a cob. Nick Marshall really wasn't a quarterback.  He was better at the first of his junior season than he was at the end.  By the end he'd regressed pretty much to run-run-heave.  

Gus is what Gus is.  The VAAAAST majority of the time he puts a dysfunctional, disjointed fucktard offense on the field that cannot move the ball, looks utterly lost and shits the bed.  

Who can remember that year when Georgia was horrible and he couldn't generate a single first down in the second half because one player was injured?  That's who this bastard is.  

He's not a good offensive coach.  He's not consistent at all.  He cannot handle adversity.  

Do I want to start over?  I don't know.  It might be better than this helpless, hopeless apathy he's instilled in me.  

I didn't even want to watch the game Saturday because in my heart I knew what was going to happen.  Fumble fucking around like deranged fifth graders. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jmar

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 07:28:42 PM »
Just one part of the multifaceted fail.

We only had Marquel Harrell at guard with multiple starts. The rest of the line is made up of coddled three year guys that weren't good enough to play in this league, a foreign kid they anointed left tackle and a grad student transfer.

He shortchanged the foundation of the team. Thank God he couldn't do to Steele the way he did the other defensive coordinators in previous years. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 08:33:56 AM »

That right there is what you'll find among half of the fanbase. The other half...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 11:42:36 AM »
The second video is how I picture Snaggs at Voodoofest.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 12:38:25 PM »
I liked that so hard I broke the button again. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 12:39:11 PM »
From today’s presser:

Auburn HC Gus Malzahn, when asked about QB Bo Nix's lack of runs vs. LSU: "Any time our quarterback is a runner, it opens up other things... If that opportunity presents itself — sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't — it can really open things up."

Huh?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 01:06:34 PM »
I'm moving to New Orleans so I can do videos like this for my practice.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 02:03:46 PM »
I'm moving to New Orleans so I can do videos like this for my practice.

Now that's a lawyer who cares.  Who?

JUAN LAFONTA...JUAN LAFONTA...JUAN LAFONTA
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2019, 02:22:54 PM »
From today’s presser:

Auburn HC Gus Malzahn, when asked about QB Bo Nix's lack of runs vs. LSU: "Any time our quarterback is a runner, it opens up other things... If that opportunity presents itself — sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't — it can really open things up."

Huh?
You mean like when we were backed up on our own goal line and TWICE the defense ignored Nix while we ran it up the middle for no gain?
Yeah. That presented itself.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

bgreene

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2019, 02:48:48 PM »
Does anyone else notice that the receivers don't appear to put much effort into their routes?  Williams is one of the worst, he just looks lazy,  Now this isn't an excuse for the play calling and wild throws but, it doesn't help.

Also, I've heard all season about our O line being seasoned and a bunch of seniors. IMO they suck!! Bo has a lot of growing to do but, his o line has set him up for failure too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 03:38:48 PM »
Heard this comparison today and thought it was spot on. If Bo Nix was like the foundation poured for a house or a building, Auburn starting setting the posts and walls up before the concrete was dry. Now they wonder why it won't stay up in the wind.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 03:42:24 PM »
You mean like when we were backed up on our own goal line and TWICE the defense ignored Nix while we ran it up the middle for no gain?
Yeah. That presented itself.
I started shoving bamboo slivers under my fingernails to distract from watching that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2019, 03:48:43 PM »
Does anyone else notice that the receivers don't appear to put much effort into their routes?  Williams is one of the worst, he just looks lazy,  Now this isn't an excuse for the play calling and wild throws but, it doesn't help.

Also, I've heard all season about our O line being seasoned and a bunch of seniors. IMO they suck!! Bo has a lot of growing to do but, his o line has set him up for failure too.
I honestly don't know if it's a lack of effort on Williams' part.  I'm guessing but I think it looks that way because 90% of the routes they have him run are straight up go routes down the sidelines.  He's double covered every time. He's the guy that should be running slants along with Salad Canola.  It seems to me you want someone that can put a big body between the QB and DB. 

As for the O-line, they have definitely improved from supreme suckage in 2018, to partially putrid in 2019.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions