Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Beginning Of The End?

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Beginning Of The End?
« on: September 17, 2019, 09:52:51 AM »
Yes, this is a few days old, but I haven't seen it discussed.  As far as my feelings about the subject go, I'm ambivalous.....err, ambiguitous....umm ambidextrious....I'm on the fence.  On one hand, it seems reasonable and I've always had a bit of a problem with the handcuffs the NCAA puts on athletes as far as allowing them to earn money on their own.  On the other, I get the sense that Pandora's Box may have just cracked open ever so slightly and this could start us down the road to the end of college athletics as we know it.  Because if this comes to pass, it absolutely will not stop here.  si dot  I am a gay twerker that has no balls!!!!  I also have no idea how to use the quote function to post stories, so I annoy the piss out of others.  I like male genatalia in and around my mouth.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The California Assembly has passed legislation to let college athletes make money, setting up a confrontation with the NCAA that could jeopardize the athletic futures of programs at USC, UCLA and Stanford.
The bill would let college athletes hire agents and be paid for the use of their name, image or likeness. And it would stop universities and the NCAA from banning athletes who take the money.
The Assembly passed the bill 66-0 on Monday, a few days after the bill got an endorsement from NBA superstar LeBron James, who did not go to college.
Universities oppose the bill, and the NCAA has warned the bill could mean California universities would be ineligible for national championships.
The California Senate must take a final vote on the bill by Friday.

What say you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: Beginning Of The End?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 10:59:22 AM »
It will essentially remove the term "amateur athlete" from college football. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 11:37:42 AM »
Mike Leach weighs in.

"The state of California has trouble keeping their streets clean right now, so my thought is that they probably ought to focus on that,”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 01:42:37 PM »
Mike Leach weighs in.

"The state of California has trouble keeping their streets clean right now, so my thought is that they probably ought to focus on that,”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

jmar

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 01:58:50 PM »
Tuscaloosa has a tried and true formula.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 02:05:37 PM »
I think it's a very bad idea.  Because where does it stop, what about basketball players, what about baseball players, what about women's sports.

The way I look at it is this these kids get a full ride, room, board, and meals to go to college.  Many have student debt loans they can't pay off.  I would argue that is their payment.  It's also pretty simple no one forces these kids to play anything, you don't like the way the system "pays you" meaning a free ride in college.  Fine don't play the sport.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

jmar

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 02:17:21 PM »
Is this supposed to eventually mimic the Olympic model? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 02:49:46 PM »
I think it's a very bad idea.  Because where does it stop, what about basketball players, what about baseball players, what about women's sports.

The way I look at it is this these kids get a full ride, room, board, and meals to go to college.  Many have student debt loans they can't pay off.  I would argue that is their payment.  It's also pretty simple no one forces these kids to play anything, you don't like the way the system "pays you" meaning a free ride in college.  Fine don't play the sport.
I want to "like" your post but I will just have to hump it instead.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 02:53:46 PM »

When Pandora's Box is fully opened, here's what I envision.  Obviously, the next step is revenue sharing.  The kids want a piece of that pie that the Universities and NCAA are raking in from ticket sales, apparel/gear sales and TV revenue. These agents that the kids are signing with will push them to unionize.  And to your point, Title IX says you can't limit it to certain sports.  If you're a student athlete in any sport, you are just as entitled as the star quarterback.  Now, here's where you destroy college sports.

Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Clemson, FSU, the Ohio State etc. can probably afford to do it.  Troy and Central Michigan and Toledo and Kent State are all just keeping their collective heads above water.  So you effectively all but kill most of the non Power 5 programs.  Not just football....all programs.  But here's where it gets dicey.  When you start requiring the Universities to participate in revenue sharing with the student athletes, the athlete's tax exempt status is going to end.  Uncle Sam is not going to allow a few hundred thousand college athletes to get 4 year scholarships worth between $100K - $200K, and then share in possibly billions of revenue, and not take his piece of the pie.

A few years ago, a group of athletes from Northwestern, attempted to change the designation of student athlete to employee, so they could share in the revenue. Guess what the law requires employers to do for employees?  Provide Worker's Compensation benefits. So any injury suffered by the athlete while "on the job", entitles them to a life time medical benefit along with compensation for any permanent injury, among other things. Do they owe the athletes health insurance?   

What we're going to wind up with, sooner than later, is a handful of Power 5 schools forming a conference of their own.  The rest can go the way of Division 3 schools and do away with athletic scholarships and the students can participate in athletics for the sheer joy of competition.    
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 03:13:00 PM »
Bernie Sanders has a plan that will definitely work. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 08:56:22 PM »
Bernie Sanders has a plan that will definitely work.
Bankrupt the country and end all forms of joy we currently know?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

jmar

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 10:19:44 PM »
Yes.
My dear comrade,
You deserve a portion of the massive wealth of this country and as we are all learning, joy is overrated.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 08:35:44 AM »

Agree 

It’s a big Pandora’s box to open. That won’t be able to be closed once open. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 08:48:50 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 10:44:44 AM »
Danny Kanell and Douche McElroy were discussing it this morning with McElroy saying its going to be inevitable that players are going to get paid.  He was for it but doing it in the "right" way whatever that means he didn't really have an answer.

Kanell never really gave an opinion just played devils advocate to both sides of the story.  

One thing that McElroy said that I just don't understand is this.  He said he had parents with money so money was never an issue with him that if he was getting paid he would have rather seen it go to a pool for his less unfortunate teammates.  Ok nice sentiment, but then follows it up with there were guys family's that were just scrapping by whose parents didn't have jobs.  Ok I get it, sucks and this is going to sound callous, but why is it the player's responsibility to be paid so that he can take care of his parents.  Look he's in college by that shear definition he's getting an education (hopefully) that whether he makes it or not in the pros will allow him to break the cycle of his parent's current situation. 

Actually Kanell kind of did give an opinion now that I think about it.  He said he would like to see the situation stay the same, meaning players don't get paid, but they have the ability to leave college at anytime to move to the pro's.  I suppose I could be ok with that although I think it would dilute the sport, I don't think HS players even one year removed have the strength nor ability to jump straight to the pros, this isn't like Basketball or Baseball (non-contact sports), I don't think a 19 year old is PHYSICALLY able to handle the NFL plus there really aren't developmental leagues like there are in Baseball and Basketball.

I just don't see how the easiest thing to do is just give the kids a little bigger stipend.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2019, 10:59:16 AM »
Danny Kanell and Douche McElroy were discussing it this morning with McElroy saying its going to be inevitable that players are going to get paid.  He was for it but doing it in the "right" way whatever that means he didn't really have an answer.

Kanell never really gave an opinion just played devils advocate to both sides of the story. 

One thing that McElroy said that I just don't understand is this.  He said he had parents with money so money was never an issue with him that if he was getting paid he would have rather seen it go to a pool for his less unfortunate teammates.  Ok nice sentiment, but then follows it up with there were guys family's that were just scrapping by whose parents didn't have jobs.  Ok I get it, sucks and this is going to sound callous, but why is it the player's responsibility to be paid so that he can take care of his parents.  Look he's in college by that shear definition he's getting an education (hopefully) that whether he makes it or not in the pros will allow him to break the cycle of his parent's current situation.

Actually Kanell kind of did give an opinion now that I think about it.  He said he would like to see the situation stay the same, meaning players don't get paid, but they have the ability to leave college at anytime to move to the pro's.  I suppose I could be ok with that although I think it would dilute the sport, I don't think HS players even one year removed have the strength nor ability to jump straight to the pros, this isn't like Basketball or Baseball (non-contact sports), I don't think a 19 year old is PHYSICALLY able to handle the NFL plus there really aren't developmental leagues like there are in Baseball and Basketball.

I just don't see how the easiest thing to do is just give the kids a little bigger stipend.
Not saying I agree with paying players but the argument is that the Universities and everyone else seemingly making bank on these kids that surpasses the amount said Universities give in scholarship. Not my argument, just stating.

I have a non-researched idea. Say the Universities do increase stipends based on your class, which would increase each year from Frosh to Senior. Also, based on said teams success and revenue generated, there is certain % set aside for stipend increase. This gives the Universities control but awards each player based on the teams success.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 11:10:59 AM »
Not saying I agree with paying players but the argument is that the Universities and everyone else seemingly making bank on these kids that surpasses the amount said Universities give in scholarship. Not my argument, just stating.

And while I understand that, that money also goes to pay for other scholarships and sports that don't generate income streams.  It's not like Auburn has a CEO getting wealthy off the backs of poor players.   The only ones making the big money is the coaches, which I agree is totally outrageous.

My understanding honestly isn't the above its the player's inability to get paid on their likeness.  Clemson sells a shit ton of #16 jerseys that Jersey doesn't mean shit due for the fact of the kid playing in it, and he doesn't get a piece.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2019, 11:20:35 AM »
And while I understand that, that money also goes to pay for other scholarships and sports that don't generate income streams.  It's not like Auburn has a CEO getting wealthy off the backs of poor players.  The only ones making the big money is the coaches, which I agree is totally outrageous.

My understanding honestly isn't the above its the player's inability to get paid on their likeness.  Clemson sells a shoot ton of #16 jerseys that Jersey doesn't mean shoot due for the fact of the kid playing in it, and he doesn't get a piece. 
What if - and believe me this is a hypothetical - but what if they were offered some kind of a stock option equity sharing program. Would that do anything for you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 11:23:38 AM »
And while I understand that, that money also goes to pay for other scholarships and sports that don't generate income streams.  It's not like Auburn has a CEO getting wealthy off the backs of poor players.  The only ones making the big money is the coaches, which I agree is totally outrageous.

My understanding honestly isn't the above its the player's inability to get paid on their likeness.  Clemson sells a shit ton of #16 jerseys that Jersey doesn't mean shit due for the fact of the kid playing in it, and he doesn't get a piece. 
Agreed 100%.

Just saying instead of states passing laws that make no sense, if in fact it sticks, the NCAA should consider looking at this in a way giving the Universities control of the matter. The idea would put more motivation on team success and staying in school.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 11:28:22 AM »
What if - and believe me this is a hypothetical - but what if they were offered some kind of a stock option equity sharing program. Would that do anything for you?
I don't know I guess, listen I'm gonna go. It's been really great talking with you guys.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum