Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kaos Franklin has a new plan!

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Kaos Franklin has a new plan!
« on: September 15, 2008, 01:18:22 PM »
http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/122146651375230.xml&coll=2

Auburn offensive coordinator Tony Franklin has decided to quit scripting plays so he can do what he does best. Fly by the seat of his pants.

Franklin, who said last week he made a mistake by having co-starting quarterbacks, now says he made a mistake by over-analyzing his game plans.

Franklin's admission followed an uneven performance by his offense in a 3-2 victory over Mississippi State on Saturday night, and comes less than a week before LSU comes calling for a Top 10 battle in one of Auburn's biggest games of the year.

LSU is ranked sixth and Auburn is 10th. Auburn is also 3-0, has a Top 10 defense nationally and is in far better shape than after last year's 1-3 stumble out of the gate. But it hasn't always felt that way because the much-hyped spread offense has been inconsistent and a victim of a variety of turnovers and penalties it has created.

Franklin's solution? Start over.

"We had way too much in our playbook."

Franklin says he's sticking with Chris Todd as his starting quarterback and promised to find spot duty for Kodi Burns, though it's apparent he won't be influenced to add Burns to his quarterback rotation just because it might be popular.

Franklin didn't rotate his quarterbacks at all against Mississippi State as he continues to de-emphasis the one-two punch of Todd and Burns that was a popular theme not so long ago.

Though Todd's reluctance to run seems to be anti-Franklin and flies in the face of some of the spread's best elements, Franklin still believes Todd is close to making everything right.
"It's scary how close we are," Franklin said.

But Franklin isn't going to take any chances. He's going pro-active by not going by the book, or at least some fancy scripted playbook, which never seemed to be his style, anyway.

"I need to do a better job of going back to my feel and my instinct versus probably more game-planning," Franklin said.

Advertisement
"I've done more game-planning here. I'm going to go back to feel and instinct.

"I've called more stuff off a script in the red zone than I ever have before. I don't need to do it."

Auburn had enough yards to score more points against Mississippi State, but 12 penalties, two missed field goals and three fumbles negated any of the good work. The Tigers had 315 yards Saturday, their worst of three offensive games this season but still better than six games last year and within 25 yards of two others.

Franklin also said he is dealing with "chemistry issues," but not player versus player, or offense versus the heavy-lifting defense.

Defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads agreed.

"Nobody on the football team looks at any angle of this team other than being a team and working together," Rhoads said.

As for Professor Franklin, "Chemistry is trying to learn who does what best, how do they do it, how does it mix in, how do we fit it all in," he said. "You hope you can figure it out before the season. Sometimes, you can't. It's quite evident that I haven't figured it out."

The clock is running. LSU is the defending national champion, and while its quarterbacks may be suspect, its defense is top notch.

Franklin's chemistry may include more of Burns.

"It's going to be a feel thing," Franklin said. "I think Kodi needs to play. We need to find a way to do that, whether it's this week or next week or every week." Check out Goldberg's blog at blog.al.com/goldmine. cgoldberg@bhamnews.com

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Kaos Franklin has a new plan!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 01:29:05 PM »
That Franklin is a jeenyus I tell ya'.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 01:32:39 PM »
http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/122146651375230.xml&coll=2

Auburn offensive coordinator Tony Franklin has decided to quit scripting plays so he can do what he does best. Fly by the seat of his pants.

Franklin, who said last week he made a mistake by having co-starting quarterbacks, now says he made a mistake by over-analyzing his game plans.

Franklin's admission followed an uneven performance by his offense in a 3-2 victory over Mississippi State on Saturday night, and comes less than a week before LSU comes calling for a Top 10 battle in one of Auburn's biggest games of the year.

LSU is ranked sixth and Auburn is 10th. Auburn is also 3-0, has a Top 10 defense nationally and is in far better shape than after last year's 1-3 stumble out of the gate. But it hasn't always felt that way because the much-hyped spread offense has been inconsistent and a victim of a variety of turnovers and penalties it has created.

Franklin's solution? Start over.

"We had way too much in our playbook."

Franklin says he's sticking with Chris Todd as his starting quarterback and promised to find spot duty for Kodi Burns, though it's apparent he won't be influenced to add Burns to his quarterback rotation just because it might be popular.

Franklin didn't rotate his quarterbacks at all against Mississippi State as he continues to de-emphasis the one-two punch of Todd and Burns that was a popular theme not so long ago.

Though Todd's reluctance to run seems to be anti-Franklin and flies in the face of some of the spread's best elements, Franklin still believes Todd is close to making everything right.
"It's scary how close we are," Franklin said.

But Franklin isn't going to take any chances. He's going pro-active by not going by the book, or at least some fancy scripted playbook, which never seemed to be his style, anyway.

"I need to do a better job of going back to my feel and my instinct versus probably more game-planning," Franklin said.

Advertisement
"I've done more game-planning here. I'm going to go back to feel and instinct.

"I've called more stuff off a script in the red zone than I ever have before. I don't need to do it."

Auburn had enough yards to score more points against Mississippi State, but 12 penalties, two missed field goals and three fumbles negated any of the good work. The Tigers had 315 yards Saturday, their worst of three offensive games this season but still better than six games last year and within 25 yards of two others.

Franklin also said he is dealing with "chemistry issues," but not player versus player, or offense versus the heavy-lifting defense.

Defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads agreed.

"Nobody on the football team looks at any angle of this team other than being a team and working together," Rhoads said.

As for Professor Franklin, "Chemistry is trying to learn who does what best, how do they do it, how does it mix in, how do we fit it all in," he said. "You hope you can figure it out before the season. Sometimes, you can't. It's quite evident that I haven't figured it out."

The clock is running. LSU is the defending national champion, and while its quarterbacks may be suspect, its defense is top notch.

Franklin's chemistry may include more of Burns.

"It's going to be a feel thing," Franklin said. "I think Kodi needs to play. We need to find a way to do that, whether it's this week or next week or every week." Check out Goldberg's blog at blog.al.com/goldmine. cgoldberg@bhamnews.com

Seriously.  

What additional evidence do you need to recognize that this abomination should be put out of our misery?  How many things are wrong with that interview?  

Well, he certainly trashed the argument that Auburn was "not showing too much and playing vanilla."  No, we're going to DECREASE the playbook.  

The "chemistry issues" are self-inflicted.  A rhesus monkey that's been dropped on its head can figure that out.

Yeah, what we need to do is play more by instinct and not worry so much about that overrated "game planning" stuff that real offensive coordinators do.  Why can't we just do this like PlayStation? Give this clown a controller and let him mash X.Y or Z.  

He had one thing right.  It's scary.  But he could have left it at that.  I'm sorry, but the "we're a play away, one missed assignment from breaking it open" line wore out two years ago.  

And he's sticking with Chris Todd.

Game over.  

FIRE THIS MAN TODAY.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 01:35:17 PM »
"Chemistry is trying to learn who does what best, how do they do it, how does it mix in, how do we fit it all in," he said. "You hope you can figure it out before the season. Sometimes, you can't. It's quite evident that I haven't figured it out."
Ya think?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 02:19:28 PM »

FIRE THIS MAN TODAY.  
Yeeaaah, um, your warning meter is on 11.  Keep that attitude up, and you'll be taking a week's vacation, mmkay? :poke:

In all seriousness, it sounds like by gameplanning, he means he had his play sequence pre-ordained and did not allow logic and real-time reaction figure in.  That doesn't seem to engender more confidence in him, because it sounds pretty stubborn and excessively confident.  That could explain why the draw play kept showing up on third-and-forever.  Or, maybe he didn't laminate his play sheet, and the ink ran when the paper got wet?

Auburn has popped the cherry on the previous two defending BCS champs from the SEC at home, and that is the trend I think will continue this week.  Until that streak breaks, I will give Tuberville benefit of doubt and have confidence that he will get this shit straightened out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 02:24:19 PM »
Yeeaaah, um, your warning meter is on 11.  Keep that attitude up, and you'll be taking a week's vacation, mmkay? :poke:

In all seriousness, it sounds like by gameplanning, he means he had his play sequence pre-ordained and did not allow logic and real-time reaction figure in.  That doesn't seem to engender more confidence in him, because it sounds pretty stubborn and excessively confident.  That could explain why the draw play kept showing up on third-and-forever.  Or, maybe he didn't laminate his play sheet, and the ink ran when the paper got wet?

Auburn has popped the cherry on the previous two defending BCS champs from the SEC at home, and that is the trend I think will continue this week.  Until that streak breaks, I will give Tuberville benefit of doubt and have confidence that he will get this shit straightened out.

Tuberville I believe in. 

Franklin?  Wouldn't hire him to wash my windows. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 02:38:06 PM »
Tuberville I believe in. 

Franklin?  Wouldn't hire him to wash my windows. 
Well Tuberville hired Franklin, and because of that, I gotta believe he will intervene if necessary (i.e. make him put in Burns if he sees it fit).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 02:57:41 PM »
Fly by the seat of his pants.

I feel a lot better now :puke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 03:39:30 PM »
I told all of you that if we didn't start Burns, Todd would cost us 2 to 3 games.  The majority of you said I was wrong...How wrong do I look now? 

Also, I didn't figure into the equation that Franklin is a complete boob.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 03:43:16 PM »
I told all of you that if we didn't start Burns, Todd would cost us 2 to 3 games.  The majority of you said I was wrong...How wrong do I look now? 

Testify.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 03:58:54 PM »

I for one never argued that Todd was definitely the guy, but just that we should wait and see how they performed before being so adamant over one guy or the other. I still don't think we've seen enough of Burns to really know, which is what pissed me off the most about last weekend.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 04:00:39 PM »

So far you're still completely wrong.  We haven't even lost one.  Duh.   ...however, I get your point.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 04:02:13 PM »
I for one never argued that Todd was definitely the guy, but just that we should wait and see how they performed before being so adamant over one guy or the other. I still don't think we've seen enough of Burns to really know, which is what pissed me off the most about last weekend.
I just can't believe that Tuberville hasn't fucking stepped in and said, "Listen douche, we are going to start Burns (or at least let him fucking play)..."   I really believe that Tuberville is going to move until we lose a game or maybe two, and that is just ridiculous. 

And Chop, the season isn't over...9 more ample chances for this fucktard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 04:03:34 PM »
I just can't believe that Tuberville hasn't fucking stepped in and said, "Listen douche, we are going to start Burns (or at least let him fucking play)..."   I really believe that Tuberville is going to move until we lose a game or maybe two, and that is just ridiculous. 

And Chop, the season isn't over...9 more ample chances for this fucktard.

I hear ya, but I'm still going to hope it's 9 more to get better and win...   :thumbsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 04:08:29 PM »
I hear ya, but I'm still going to hope it's 9 more to get better and win...   :thumbsup:
So do I, but it seems like we are taking steps backwards rather than forwards.  The receivers are getting upset with Todd/Franklin/the Offense/ Tuberville...  Hawthorne was so angry when he was wide open and Todd didn't notice him, Trott threw up his arms as Todd completely missed him wide open, etc...  If this continues it will hurt recruiting as well as our team on the field.  It is just sad that our amazing defense has to suffer because of Franklin, who in my opinion should be mommy part punted for his actions thus far. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 04:10:18 PM »
So do I, but it seems like we are taking steps backwards rather than forwards.  The receivers are getting upset with Todd/Franklin/the Offense/ Tuberville...  Hawthorne was so angry when he was wide open and Todd didn't notice him, Trott threw up his arms as Todd completely missed him wide open, etc...  If this continues it will hurt recruiting as well as our team on the field.  It is just sad that our amazing defense has to suffer because of Franklin, who in my opinion should be mommy part punted for his actions thus far. 

I hear ya man.  Not questioning you.  I just hope you all have some source of "good" this week.  Shit.  hahaha.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 04:10:57 PM »
Exactly how do you punt a mommy part?  And why would you want to?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 04:16:45 PM »
Exactly how do you punt a mommy part?  And why would you want to?

Well, from everything I've read, I just assume that Franklin is a giant mommy part. 

Therefore, he needs to receive a mommy part punt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 04:18:29 PM »
Well, from everything I've read, I just assume that Franklin is a giant mommy part. 

Therefore, he needs to receive a mommy part punt.

No counselor, he asked, "Exactly how do you punt a mommy part?  And why would you want to?"

The Franklin mommy part factor is not relevant.  Would you like to try again.  We need pictures this time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 04:37:14 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions