Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts On The Mildcat

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Thoughts On The Mildcat
« on: August 17, 2016, 03:51:45 PM »
I know how much everyone loves the Wildcat (He said sarcastically).  But, the fact is that it's a staple in Malzahn's offense.  He loves him some Wildcat and he's going to run it whether anyone likes it or not.  Me?  I'm luke warm on it.  My only problem with the way he runs it is he takes the threat of a pass out of the equation.  99 44/100th of the time, it's a skrate run.  However, I can see the distinct possibility of that changing this year. 

This is based on the assumption that someone other than Clifford Franklin XXXV wins the job.  If Carry On is the starter at RB, certainly Malzahn wouldn't leave him in to run the WC. What would be the point?  But, if he puts JFIII back there, well now you open up some real options.  He's already supposed to be shitcherpants, squirrely-rabbit fast, so he's a natural to run that formation.  But he's also a QB and can toss it around a little.

Remember how effective Cam was when he would take a direct snap, take that big step in toward the line, then pull back and hit a receiver?  No way am I comparing CFXXXII to Cam.  But being that he's a "Dual threat" QB, I can see how he would keep defenses honest by working in some throws. 

Maybe even enough to make jmar give a  :thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
Re: Thoughts On The Mildcat
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 04:06:25 PM »
I know how much everyone loves the Wildcat (He said sarcastically).  But, the fact is that it's a staple in Malzahn's offense.  He loves him some Wildcat and he's going to run it whether anyone likes it or not.  Me?  I'm luke warm on it.  My only problem with the way he runs it is he takes the threat of a pass out of the equation.  99 44/100th of the time, it's a skrate run.  However, I can see the distinct possibility of that changing this year. 

This is based on the assumption that someone other than Clifford Franklin XXXV wins the job.  If Carry On is the starter at RB, certainly Malzahn wouldn't leave him in to run the WC. What would be the point?  But, if he puts JFIII back there, well now you open up some real options.  He's already supposed to be shitcherpants, squirrely-rabbit fast, so he's a natural to run that formation.  But he's also a QB and can toss it around a little.

Remember how effective Cam was when he would take a direct snap, take that big step in toward the line, then pull back and hit a receiver?  No way am I comparing CFXXXII to Cam.  But being that he's a "Dual threat" QB, I can see how he would keep defenses honest by working in some throws. 

Maybe even enough to make jmar give a  :thumsup:

A forward pass out of the Wildcat?    What will they think of next?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 04:15:37 PM »
Here's how the Wildcat works.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 04:32:14 PM »

I thought we were talking about the ball going forward in the air to another person from that formation?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 04:43:13 PM »

I thought we were talking about the ball going forward in the air to another person from that formation?

Damn it, man. This is Gus we're talking about.  No passing in the Wildcat. 

I have to say if you watch it again and pay attention to 71, Braden Smith, that gave me pause for chub.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 04:47:17 PM »
The forward pass is just a fad anyway.  The veer is where it's at.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 10:12:32 PM »
The forward pass is just a fad anyway.  The veer is where it's at.

Just like novocaine...give it time, it'll work.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 11:09:47 PM »

I liked the downfield blocking by Ricardo "Stonehands" Louis...lol
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 12:09:41 AM »
I think running the WC with a guy like JF3 makes more sense than what we've done in the past. If he can tune the option adding in the short pass off it, then it can be effective.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 09:34:50 AM »
Just call me Carnac the Magnificent because I'm going to tell you how it's going to work.

Sean will put together a good series and just as he is starting to get into a rhythm he will be pulled for JF3 who will then try a run and will lose 5 yards, they will bring Sean back in and we will miss on 2nd and 3rd down and punt the ball thus ending the decent series.  Rinse & repeat.

I got $100 if anyone wants to make a bet?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 09:54:19 AM »
Just call me Carnac the Magnificent because I'm going to tell you how it's going to work.

Sean will put together a good series and just as he is starting to get into a rhythm he will be pulled for JF3 who will then try a run and will lose 5 yards, they will bring Sean back in and we will miss on 2nd and 3rd down and punt the ball thus ending the decent series.  Rinse & repeat.

Specifics GF. Are you saying this will be an every drive scenario or are you talking percentages?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 10:03:18 AM »

That's a sucker bet...no way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 10:10:34 AM »
Carnac: Inka Dinka Dew

Ed: Inka Dinka Dew

Carnac: What do you get on your Inka Dinka if you leave it out all night?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 10:30:25 AM »
Agree with Carnac.
It's almost a given that Kerryon gets most of the glory in the redzone after Sean gets us there, (strike up the band) but if JFFXIX starts coming in on a regular basis I would be shocked if White doesn't transfer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 11:06:22 AM »
Specifics GF. Are you saying this will be an every drive scenario or are you talking percentages?

percentage...IMO it will fail more than succeed
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 11:15:32 AM »
IMO Wildcat only works when there is a fear of a deep throw. 

So if JF3 is good enough to trust to throw why not start him? Then it is no longer a wildcat it is a dual threat QB.  Marshall, Cam.....never understood why we even had a wildcat package when Cam played and used it.  Made no sense to me.  You play wildcat every down when you have a dual threat QB.

By bringing in JF3 in a package play you tell the defense ok we are going to play the wildcat.  So they have a LB spy, you are already tipping your hand to a degree IMO. Yes I understand having a LB spy essentially takes him out of a coverage spot but by percentages I would guess that more often than not the defense wins.  Whereas you have a dual-threat and you pull that LB to spy EVERY play the opposite would be true and the Offense would win.  I have no evidence or stats to back this theory up other than watching Auburn run it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 11:43:46 AM »
percentage...IMO it will fail more than succeed

Figured that. Just fn with ya cause I was about ready to take that bet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 11:53:15 AM »
IMO Wildcat only works when there is a fear of a deep throw. 

So if JF3 is good enough to trust to throw why not start him? Then it is no longer a wildcat it is a dual threat QB.  Marshall, Cam.....never understood why we even had a wildcat package when Cam played and used it.  Made no sense to me.  You play wildcat every down when you have a dual threat QB.

By bringing in JF3 in a package play you tell the defense ok we are going to play the wildcat.  So they have a LB spy, you are already tipping your hand to a degree IMO. Yes I understand having a LB spy essentially takes him out of a coverage spot but by percentages I would guess that more often than not the defense wins.  Whereas you have a dual-threat and you pull that LB to spy EVERY play the opposite would be true and the Offense would win.  I have no evidence or stats to back this theory up other than watching Auburn run it.

I got it more with Cam simply because of his body type and running style, especially in short yardage situations. Get that extra blocker in front of him let him find a small crease and he could simply fall forward for 3-4 yards.  But the thing with Cam was what I said above.  They constantly lined him up in WC and he'd take that first long step toward the line and then back up and let it fly.  This is one that came to mind.  Check it out at the 12 second mark.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 12:33:36 PM »
Wasn't it Kadrill that used to come in some and run the wildcat for Cam?

Now that was some superb use of the wildcat there. That coaching decision would always really catch the opposition, fans, announcers, ball boys, band, etc. off guard. Genius!

But, they eventually stopped doing that, at least very much, I think toward the end of the season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 01:43:49 PM »
Wasn't it Kadrill that used to come in some and run the wildcat for Cam?

Now that was some superb use of the wildcat there. That coaching decision would always really catch the opposition, fans, announcers, ball boys, band, etc. off guard. Genius!

But, they eventually stopped doing that, at least very much, I think toward the end of the season.
Normally just after the defense actually made a great stop and we had the ball inside our own 20.  That ALWAYS caught them off guard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions