Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts Part 2 - Film Analysis

Thoughts Part 2 - Film Analysis
« on: September 15, 2015, 08:48:55 AM »
Woke up too early this morning and got bored. Decided to watch some of the JSU film and play coach.

- #53 Devante Danzey may have been drunk during this game. He's filling in for Avery Young, right? He missed just about all of his blocks. He fell over a bunch of times after tripping on his own feet. He more waddled around looking for blocks and often missed them. Did I mention he fell over a bunch?

- #71 Brandon Smith is inconsistent. When he locks onto a guy, he drives them far and into the ground. But I'd say 50% of the time, he loses his footwork and sometimes has the tendency to lean forward. I know he's freakishly tall and broad, but he's got to work on his fundamentals.

- Kris Frost has regressed. That was Jake Holland bullshit. That kind of pussy-footing, "receive the block" softness needs to get out of Auburn football. I'd rather see a true freshman go balls out with missed assignments than a freaking senior taking on blocks like they're giving out hugs.

- Some of the play calling was awful. Perhaps Malzahn just doesn't have confidence in Johnson or he's just stubborn about what he wants to call. There was one play where Louis comes in motion and Johnson gives it to Barber up the middle. There were not only 8 in the box, they were all lined up no farther than 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage. No check. No option. Just the give up the middle and the safety was free to make the tackle in the backfield. That's not on the line. That's on Malzahn who typically is the one to call the audible.

- Chandler Cox is not ready to play college football. I know he's a true freshman and I know I said I'd rather a true freshman over a soft senior, but he missed a ton of blocks. One in particular was supposed to be a double team. Louis engaged with a defensive end, and when Cox came in to deliver the second blow, he just bounced backwards and disrupted the running back. Tackle for a loss because the RB was stalled by Cox and #53 Danzey completely missed his block.

- All of our offensive linemen have a tendency to lean forward when taking on pass rushers during a pass play. They aren't sitting back and working their feet. They're taking a step back and then leaning/lunging forward to hit the rusher. That's high school level bullshit.

- With all of this said, JSU really did play a great game. A few of those catches were insane and extended drives to tire out our defense. Their play calling was flawless, and their quarterback made excellent reads. Quick decisions with accurate throws. I'd take him over Jeremy Johnson right now for sure.

EDIT - I really can't get over how awful Kris Frost was in this game. I need to stop watching this or I'm going to be in a bad mood today.

EDIT2 - Looks like we did run the read option a good bit this game. Johnson misread it at least three times.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:57:37 AM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Re: Thoughts Part 2 - Film Analysis
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 09:07:37 AM »
I watched the first couple of series last night as well and agree with all of your points. It does make me feel a little better that we can get some of this corrected. You are right on #53...god he played awful. He single handedly caused some 3 and outs alone.

But honestly, if JJ doesn't get better, there is no chance. He still looks awful. He missed some easy throws and made horrible reads. I wonder how much different the game would have gone if JJ had simply hit the RB on the first third down who was fucking wide open? It would have been an easy TD and maybe taken some of the fight out of JSU.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 09:16:15 AM »
I watched the first couple of series last night as well and agree with all of your points. It does make me feel a little better that we can get some of this corrected. You are right on #53...god he played awful. He single handedly caused some 3 and outs alone.

But honestly, if JJ doesn't get better, there is no chance. He still looks awful. He missed some easy throws and made horrible reads. I wonder how much different the game would have gone if JJ had simply hit the RB on the first third down who was fucking wide open? It would have been an easy TD and maybe taken some of the fight out of JSU.

Also on on his first interception, if he had checked to the running back instead of throwing it into quintillion coverage, he would have had at least a twenty yard gain.

Our offense is shot this year unless Malzahn makes some huge changes. JSU played the line of scrimmage for most of the game. We had a swing pass late in the 2nd half that got stuffed behind the line of scrimmage. The free safety took off on a dead sprint as soon as the ball was snapped. He knew the play before it was called, and he knew there was no threat for Johnson to go for a deep route. Our running game was locked up because they had their line backers and safeties walk up and play run every damn play.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:22:55 AM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 09:17:49 AM »
Thirded. 100% correct on all points.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 10:02:35 AM »
I'd like to add that I thought Montravious Adams played like a beast he was consistently in their backfield, however he constantly got faked by their zone read.  I would much rather see him tackle the QB then the RB like he did each time.  Yes the QB could then give to RB but I think forcing the play outside would have ended in better results for us. IMO blow up the middle with the guy that has the ball, let the rest of the defense sort it out.

and yes we did play Zone read a lot, and JJ missed it more than 3 times. He can't read a defense IMO.

I also totally agree with CCTAU on the offensive play calling rather than adapt to his QB like we have in years past, it simply looks like we are playing the Nick Marshall offense but with JJ.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 11:25:27 AM »
Kudos to those it watched it a second time. I could not stomach it even just once.  :puke: :puke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 11:46:46 AM »
Great job guys now let's fix the issues.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 11:52:18 AM »

Seconded

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 12:02:10 PM »

If it wasn't fixed from week one to week two against FCS, it ain't gonna. 

( I hope I am wrong)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 12:03:08 PM »
Seconded

I feel better already! We bowlin' baby.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 12:21:18 PM »
If it wasn't fixed from week one to week two against FCS, it ain't gonna. 

( I hope I am wrong)
We have a whole new week to fix the issues from the past 2 weeks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 12:25:18 PM »
We have a whole new week to fix the issues from the past 2 weeks.

This is the can-do attitude missing from this board.  This man is a real go-getter.  A team player.  I see Assistant Moderator in your very near future.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 12:50:06 PM »
This is the can-do attitude missing from this board.  This man is a real go-getter.  A team player.  I see Assistant Moderator in your very near future.
Fuck it, we win or I take a one month self-imposed ban from this distraction. Cheers bitches!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 12:53:51 PM »
This is the can-do attitude missing from this board.  This man is a real go-getter.  A team player.  I see Assistant to the Moderator in your very near future.
FTFY
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 12:54:19 PM »
Fuck it, we win or I take a one month self-imposed ban from this distraction. Cheers bitches!

Dammit now I'm torn on who to cheer for.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 12:56:13 PM »

When in doubt, pull ou...wait, never mind.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 12:56:48 PM »
Cmon now, you know you love me the mostest.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 01:16:35 PM »
FTFY

9 to 1 they didn't fix shit. I'm just sayin'.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 01:46:58 PM »

If Dallas said that, you could call me LSUJarhead.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 01:49:10 PM »

Blake Chortles
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions