Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Boo yow

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Boo yow
« on: January 04, 2015, 11:16:45 AM »
Stuart Scott died last night at 49.

He, dan Patrick and Keith olbermann were sports center to me.  I'm not black but despite all the talk about Scott being a trailblazer and bringing hood mentality and hip hop to whitebread ESPN, I didn't have to be of color to appreciate his personality.  His delivery worked for me and I enjoyed it greatly.

Odd that it's now silenced. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:46:32 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Boo yah
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 12:18:01 PM »
Agree. He was awesome.

Rip
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 01:48:05 PM »
No doubt.  He was one of the good ones.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 07:44:57 AM »
No doubt.  He was one of the good ones.

One what?  You were gonna say African Americans weren't you?

I had not even known he had been battling cancer.  I knew the couple of times I had seen him on TV he looked really thin but I just figured he had been on some health kick diet.  I, like most of you spent a lot of my young adulthood seeing him highlight games on Sportscenter.  I connected with him because of age probably how my father connected with Howard Cosell.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: Boo yow
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 12:45:20 PM »
See, you guys are gonna make me go here today. I don't want to because the classy thing is to remain silent, this soon.

Not a fan. I respect that he was extremely successful and entertaining to his audience. Not for me.

I know I'm supposed to be his target audience but I'm just too old fashioned.

I don't like the ear bobs on male reporters Hate Bradley on 60 min and didn't like seeing it on Scott.

Could handle some of the street talk but he took it over the top for my taste.

Still, I realize I'm the minority and he was great to most. And, I will miss him.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 12:47:23 PM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 12:46:51 PM »
See, you guys are gonna make me go here today. I don't want to because the classy thing is to remain silent, this soon.

Not a fan. I respect that he was extremely successful and entertaining to his audience. Not for me.

I know I'm supposed to be his target audience but I'm just too old fashioned.

I don't like the ear bobs on male reporters Hade Bradley on 60 min and didn't like seeing it on Scott.

Could handle some of the street talk but he took it over the top for my taste.

Still, I realize I'm the minority and he was great to most. And, I will miss him.

Agree on most, he took the reporting of events and made it more about him. (IMO)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 01:06:39 PM »
Boo yow bitches. Boo yow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 01:10:30 PM »
I enjoyed Scott.  Been listening to a lot of sports talk about him the last couple of days.  It sounds like at first, the network was really divided over letting him report the way he did with more of the "street talk", if Boo-yah (yow) is in fact, street talk.  But think about it. IMO, that opened up some exposure to a whole other segment of viewers for ESPN.  His reporting style was funny, with a lot of catch phrases, but I didn't find it over the top. 

I've heard and read a lot of takes saying Patrick and Olberman kind of got the whole fun in reporting thing going.  But that actually goes back to the inception of ESPN.  While most feel like Berman outlived his usefulness years ago, he was actually the groundbreaker in that area.  When ESPN first started, I lived for his baseball highlights just to see what play on words he would come up with for the players' names.  Bert "Be Home" Blyleven???  Come on, that's gold.  Especially for the early 80's.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 01:18:58 PM »
What I find interesting is that it seems that the majority of people on here who enjoyed Scott's style are much, much older than I am. And white. And nerds. Interesting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 01:27:32 PM »
What I find interesting is that it seems that the majority of people on here who enjoyed Scott's style are much, much older than I am. And white. And nerds. Interesting.

Hey, I am NOT a nerd.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 01:49:32 PM »

Agree on most, he took the reporting of events and made it more about him. (IMO)

He actually made sportscasting cool and interesting. Buncha vanilla old WASPs, all of yas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 02:13:04 PM »
He actually made sportscasting cool and interesting. Buncha vanilla old WASPs, all of yas.

In the begining, yes, later on, no.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 02:20:23 PM »

In the begining, yes, later on, no.

Berman is the one who really got/gets under my skin. He's cheesy. Never been funny.

The trio of Scott, Patrick and Olbermann was the golden age of SC.

All three had cool but not cheesy catch phrases that were original.

En Fuego, Its deep and I don't think its playable, and As cool as the other side of the pillow were all gold.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 02:43:43 PM »
Berman is the one who really got/gets under my skin. He's cheesy. Never been funny.

The trio of Scott, Patrick and Olbermann was the golden age of SC.

All three had cool but not cheesy catch phrases that were original.

En Fuego, Its deep and I don't think its playable, and As cool as the other side of the pillow were all gold.

Call him Buttah, my mans on a roll!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 02:51:52 PM »
Call him Buttah, my mans on a roll!

But Berman said back back back back...gone. Oh and Barry "U.S." Bonds.  :facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 04:05:22 PM »
But Berman said back back back back...gone. Oh and Barry "U.S." Bonds.  :facepalm:

Berman's best contribution ever was back in the 90's when he said something like "and Brad kissmy Ausmus holds on the ball for the out".   He used that one once or twice and never again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 04:42:20 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 05:32:51 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions