Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kiehl making good...

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Kiehl making good...
« on: November 06, 2014, 08:42:43 AM »
Happy for him. Shame it didn't work out at AU.

One of Auburn's biggest fans has struggled to keep up with the No. 3 Tigers' games this season. But Kiehl Frazier has a good excuse: The former Auburn QB-turned-DB-turned-WR has been busy leading D-II Ouachita Baptist of Arkadelphia, Arkansas, to an 8-0 record -- the best start the school has had in 100 years.

Frazier completed 67 passes in 128 attempts, but had just a two to 10 touchdown to interception ratio in two seasons playing quarterback for the Tigers before being switched to receiver as Auburn advanced to the 2013 BCS title game.

Frazier, 2010 USA TODAY Sports Offensive Player of the Year and Parade All-American, was recruited to Auburn by then offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn from Shiloh Christian in Arkansas, the same program where the Tigers coach had so much success. However, the QB admits he lost his confidence, which hindered his shot to regain playing time at Auburn.

"The confidence level really wasn't there," Frazier told FOX Sports. "Physically, I thought I was definitely talented enough to play there but I wasn't mature enough really to play the position at the time. And whenever I was ready they had moved past me already.

"Going out every Saturday, if you're not 100 percent confident then you're not gonna be successful. I really struggled with it, and as a 19-year-old sophomore it was tough to deal with.

"After we started off bad at Auburn, I felt like a lot of the coaches didn't believe in me. I felt like the team was still on my side, but the coaches didn't really think I could do it, so that factored into me leaving too."
Frazier said he knew after Auburn lost the championship game to FSU that he wasn't going back to Auburn and that OBU, where his younger brother Jed Beach is an offensive lineman, seemed like a good fit. Last season had been the first time that he hadn't been a quarterback since his days in the sixth grade, he says. "It was really tough because I had a great relationship with a lot of the guys at Auburn, and a good relationship with the coaches, but I knew I wanted to play quarterback," Frazier said. "I've been doing it my whole life so I felt like I had to make the switch."

At OBU, Frazier had to learn another system with new terminology. Instead of a route tree, OBU has dozens of names for their routes depending on if they're coming off of a 3-step of 4-step drop or from the play-action game. Frazier won the starting job in the spring and says he began to build back his confidence. The more reps he got from seeing defenses and making decisions, the more that confidence grew. Frazier points to the Oct. 18 game against Harding, which was the No. 13 team in the country, as a turning point.
"That's when I got all of my confidence back," he says.

Frazier rushed 16 times for 122 yards and threw for 215 yards to lead OBU to a 31-28 OT comeback win, sparked by him leading the team in a 12-play drive in the final 2:37 that was culminated with a 15-yard TD pass to pull Ouachita Baptist within two; he then tied the game by running it in on the two-point conversion.
"The thing that is the most impressive about him is that this is probably his third offensive scheme in college with terminology that he's had to learn," says OBU coach Todd Knight. "He is very smart. And he also doesn't get on a roller coaster. He meets adversity very well."

On the season, Frazier has completed over 60 percent of his passes for 1,494 yards to go with a 13-3 TD-INT ratio. He's also rushed for 505 yards and three more TDs.

As for his old team, Frazier says he talks to his former Auburn teammates pretty much every week. Frazier says he and Malzahn don't speak often but that's because he knows the Auburn coach is so busy.
"Growing up, he was a guy that I looked up to," Frazier says. "We had a great relationship in high school and when I was at Auburn. Nothing's changed there."

And just like his old team, Frazier's new squad is piling up points and wins.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Kiehl making good...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 08:58:14 AM »
Just as we thought all along. He was damaged goods, and by no fault of his own. He had 0 confidence. He knew it...and most importantly, he knew that the coaches knew it. Lose lose.

Good for him though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 09:11:25 AM »
Happy for the kid but those were some dark days that I don't care to remember.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 09:11:30 AM »
Pawwlll...I betchu Kahyel Fresure ain't even a real Baptist! Ain't that some kinda violation? He probably learnt that from those cheatting ass Aubies. Whatchu think?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 09:44:52 AM »
I really like Kiehl. He's a genuinely nice kid. Happy he's getting to play and winning.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 09:47:34 AM »
War Kadril
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 10:27:33 AM »
The cocoa panda is playing glorified high school ball.  His team would be competitive, maybe, in 7A ball in Alabama. Maybe.

Glad he's getting to play, but pretty much every one of us on this board (well... not you...) could walk on and make that team.  I don't see it as an indictment or even a reflection on AU coaches.  He was given a chance to make it and got beaten out by a turtle.  He just wasn't (and isn't) cut out for this league.  He's never going to play pro ball.  So the question is whether it's better for him to play intramural flag football for a school like Huntingdon or stand on the sidelines wearing orange and blue every Saturday.  Neil Caudle didn't go off to play for Springhill Baptist! 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 10:55:14 AM »
Speaking of, while at the polls Tuesday, I saw Caudle campaigning for his father in law. Turns out, holding a clipboard for the orange and blue ain't such a bad move when positioning for the future.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 11:06:03 AM »
Neil also held for the winning field goal in the Nayshunal Champeenship game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 11:11:16 AM »
The cocoa panda is playing glorified high school ball.  His team would be competitive, maybe, in 7A ball in Alabama. Maybe.

Glad he's getting to play, but pretty much every one of us on this board (well... not you...) could walk on and make that team.  I don't see it as an indictment or even a reflection on AU coaches.  He was given a chance to make it and got beaten out by a turtle.  He just wasn't (and isn't) cut out for this league.  He's never going to play pro ball.  So the question is whether it's better for him to play intramural flag football for a school like Huntingdon or stand on the sidelines wearing orange and blue every Saturday.  Neil Caudle didn't go off to play for Springhill Baptist!

Words hurt. You should repent.

I think in Kadrilla's defense, he was not even gonna see the field at WR. So in order to get his confidence back on track, not just in football but for life, he needed a change.

And it matters not that it is glorified high school football, it is still football at the next level.

Anyone who plays a sport at the next level should enter the real world full of confidence. Not everyone gets that opportunity.

So for him, kudos.

For AU, thank goodness. I don't think I could stand another wildcat with him in there for no reason.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 11:12:35 AM »

I get your point but let me assure you that my talents are still suited for a much higher level of football than Springhill Baptist. Still, I get what you are saying. It fits others on here more appropriately.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 11:37:20 AM »

Was thinking he meant the previous staff moreso. And if so, he is probably right.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE