Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Rules Committee Drops Slow-Down Proposal

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Rules Committee Drops Slow-Down Proposal
« on: March 05, 2014, 03:06:21 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/03/05/college-football-rules-committee-pace-of-play/6036617/

After three weeks of controversy, the NCAA Football Rules Committee has withdrawn a rule proposal that would have slowed down hurry-up offenses.

In a teleconference Wednesday afternoon, the 12-member committee chose not to send the proposal forward to the Playing Rules Oversight Panel, according to a person with knowledge of the meeting. The person spoke on the condition of the anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.

The Playing Rules Oversight Panel was scheduled to consider any rule changes on Thursday.

No wonder Saban is so brassed off today. Must have gotten a heads up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Rules Committee Drops Slow-Down Proposal
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 03:09:29 PM »
Sad day that logic loses out to them damn barners.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 03:42:39 PM »
PAAWWWL...I'll betcha' ole Nick cawlled them boys up there an told em' to drop it cuz he decided he's just gone beat thuh hell outta' them Aubs more worser then 49-0.  That'll show em'.  Whutchu thank PAAAWWWL? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 09:40:11 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 06:08:33 PM »
http://jimrome.com/2014/03/06/sabes-sparks-a-marlboro/#.Uxj_k7J5kX8.twitter

Jim Rome:
"Does anybody have a smoke for Nick Saban? Because Sabes has injected cigarettes into the battle of the 10-second rule.

"Team Saban has maintained that fast offenses lead to more injuries, and when confronted with the fact that there's no direct evidence, he sparked a Marlboro. "I guess you have to use some logic…If you smoke one cigarette, do you have the same chance of getting cancer if you smoke 20? I guess there's no study that specifically says that."

"It sounds like Nicky Satan is smoking something a lot stronger than cigs. So what you're saying is… If you grub one little Debby Snack Cake before the Iron Bowl… You have less chance of getting a gut than if you come home that night and grub 15 after gagging the Iron Bowl. That's a fact.

"But you firing off the old "player safety" flare gun because you can't stop Auburn is your biggest BS since you lied about leaving South Beach.

"You tell me- which is more dangerous for the players: Spreading them out and attacking with up-tempo athletes like the best offenses do -OR- bringing in two tight ends and smashing D's with 1950s attacks up the middle like YOUR team does? Why don't you and your little buddy Lane Kiffin coach 'em up and keep cancer out your mouth?

"Until I see a surgeon general's warning slapped across the spread offense… The only thing that's getting smoked is your defense.

"This is a bad look, it's beneath you, and you should should quit your crying cold turkey."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 06:24:30 PM »
I hate Jim Rome but enjoyed this for some reason.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 11:08:51 AM »
I asked myself a question this morning. I said, "Self, if Gus was trying to sneak a rules proposal in for faster play under the guise of player safety or whateva, would you be upset?" The answer is yes. I don't like rules changes UNLESS an overwhelming majority of the football world sees the need for player safety.

This whole scenario only further perpetuates Saban's reputation as a misleading and self-serving individualist. I think this failure actually ends up doing more harm to him. But,  if stepping over a convulsing player didn't  hurt his recruiting efforts then I don't know if anything will.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 11:27:03 AM »
I asked myself a question this morning. I said, "Self, if Gus was trying to sneak a rules proposal in for faster play under the guise of player safety or whateva, would you be upset?" The answer is yes. I don't like rules changes UNLESS an overwhelming majority of the football world sees the need for player safety.

This whole scenario only further perpetuates Saban's reputation as a misleading and self-serving individualist. I think this failure actually ends up doing more harm to him. But,  if stepping over a convulsing player didn't  hurt his recruiting efforts then I don't know if anything will.

Another medical drop in the works.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 11:30:14 AM »

Another medical drop in the works.
'
Hey. It's for the player's safety!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 08:50:30 PM »
"Stepping over a convulsing player" is an urban legend - that little fucker had to walk around said player, unless someone gave him a boost
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 11:31:13 PM »
Funny, RWS hasn't posted in any of the "sabbin is a fuckin pussy" type threads.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 11:50:11 PM »
Funny, RWS hasn't posted in any of the "sabbin is a fuckin pussy" type threads.

He hasn't posted at all in a while.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 06:48:42 AM »
He hasn't posted at all in a while.
Yeah you're right, I think it was right around Oklahoma beating uat that he stopped...he must be taking that loss pretty hard, lol.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 10:00:14 AM »
Yeah you're right, I think it was right around Oklahoma beating uat that he stopped...he must be taking that loss pretty hard, lol.

He is out gathering data still.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 09:45:32 AM »
He is out gathering data still.

maybe he actually went to BDS....and can't find his way back since its unfamiliar territory.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 10:00:16 AM »
maybe he actually went to BDS....and can't find his way back since its unfamiliar territory.
:classic:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 11:21:41 AM »
Still here.  I look in every so often, but have mostly been busy with kids, work.......you know, real life.

As for the 10 second rule, I posted my feelings on Saban's stance when this shit first hit the news.  Do I believe that there is a player safety issue?  No.  I don't think that he is happy that he is going to have to make some fundamental changes to the way his defense works.  I said it after the Oklahoma curb stomping that the defense, mainly the DL, needs to retool.  Alabama has to start getting away from having 300+ pound DL all across the line.  They need to start moving towards some lighter, fast-twitch kind of guys.  Some of the guys in this recent signing class fit that description.  College football is changing, and Saban is going to have to change with it.

Do I support the basic premise of giving the defense a 10 second window to sub regardless of what the offense does?  Yes.  It won't slow down a hurry-up offense at all.  If that offense is moving the ball, it's going to take at least 10 seconds for everyone to get back on their feet, move down the field and receive the signals from the sideline.  Even on a no gain play, you're still talking 10 seconds.  It will cause more issues schematically for a defense, really.  It will cause more too many players on the field penalties.  But it will allow you to change personnel.  Push that rule based on its own merits, just don't push it under the guise of player safety.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 04:28:36 PM »
He found his way back.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 12:03:33 PM »
Do I support the basic premise of giving the defense a 10 second window to sub regardless of what the offense does?  Yes.  It won't slow down a hurry-up offense at all.  If that offense is moving the ball, it's going to take at least 10 seconds for everyone to get back on their feet, move down the field and receive the signals from the sideline.  Even on a no gain play, you're still talking 10 seconds.  It will cause more issues schematically for a defense, really.  It will cause more too many players on the field penalties.  But it will allow you to change personnel.  Push that rule based on its own merits, just don't push it under the guise of player safety.   
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum