Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall's passing, arm strength 'overlooked'

Saniflush

• Pledge Master

NEWPORT BEACH, California -- Nick Marshall isn't lost in the mix any more, but the Auburn quarterback is doing something others have seemingly ignored throughout the season.

"The thing that I think is overlooked is his arm talent," Florida State defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt said. "Nick Marshall has as good of arm talent as anybody in the country."

Marshall has thrown several long bombs in his time at Auburn, including a 73-yard game-winning touchdown pass against Georgia. His accuracy is something that is also overlooked, and it has No. 1 Florida State's attention as it prepares for the Tigers in the BCS Championship Game (Monday, 7:30 p.m. CDT).

Sometimes the numbers -- 1,759 passing yards, 12 touchdowns, five interceptions and a 60.4 completion percentage -- don't quite tell the entire story. The other issue? Experts continue applaud Marshall for his running (1,023 yards, 11 touchdowns), but it's his passing that has FSU concerned.

"I don't think he gets a lot of credit as a passer, but I mean he's just a great all‑around player and I'm happy to have him as our quarterback," Auburn center Reese Dismukes said.

Pruitt points to Marshall's 38-yard touchdown pass to Sammie Coates in the SEC Championship Game. Marshall ran outside the pocket, rolled to his left and threw a strike between two Missouri defenders in the end zone. He hit Coates in stride.

"Not many folks can make that throw," Pruitt said.

But Marshall has done it again and again in key situations. "I just play off instinct and play ball," Marshall said.

From Mississippi State to Georgia to Alabama, the junior has come up big for the Tigers in key moments in the passing game. He threw game-winning or game-tying touchdowns in the final minute of those three games.

"To me, it's still shocking in the game when it happens, but I'm thinking to myself, yeah, he practiced this," Auburn running back Tre Mason said. "His work ethic is great."

Marshall's natural athleticism has made him one of the fastest and most elusive quarterbacks in the country. His game-saving plays coaxed coach Gus Malzahn to push him as a contender for the Heisman Trophy, though Mason proved to be the Tigers' Heisman finalist.

Marshall played basketball at Wilcox County High in Georgia, saw time at cornerback at Georgia and then moved back to quarterback after he was booted from the Bulldogs' roster and moved to Garden City (Kan.) Community College.

"He could go play point guard if they need him to," Pruitt said.

Several plays stick out to Pruitt, including Marshall's touchdown pass on what appeared to be a typical keeper on the zone read. He hit a wide-open Sammie Coates for a 39-yard touchdown to tie Alabama with 32 seconds remaining in the Iron Bowl.

Marshall even switched the ball from his left hand to his right hand just before throwing the pass -- a throwback to a crossover move -- as an Alabama defender closed in.

"I mean, that goes back to being a point guard," Pruitt said. "He's kinda attacked the line of scrimmage, sees a guy open and, bam, throws him the ball. That's something that we've had to stress with our defenders every day."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall's passing, arm strength 'overlooked'
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 10:49:01 AM »
Something that they flashed during the game last night that caught my attention.

They showed Nick's stats.
128/212 60.4%
1759 Passing Yds
1023 Rushing Yds
33 Total TDs
9 turnovers

Then later they were showing Braxton Millers Stats  (who a lot of folks were saying should have been a Heisman finalist, best player blah blah)
146/231 63.2%
1860 Passing Yds
1033 Rushing Yds
32 Total Tds
9 Turnovers
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 11:00:30 AM »
That's different. 
Dat boy is good.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 11:02:08 AM »
I believe the children are the future.  You all look so lovely.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 11:04:48 AM »
You ain't never met no Martin Luther the King
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 11:08:21 AM »
My name is Peaches, and I'm the best.  All the DJ's want to feel my breasts. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 12:30:58 PM »
Something that they flashed during the game last night that caught my attention.

They showed Nick's stats.
128/212 60.4%
1759 Passing Yds
1023 Rushing Yds
33 Total TDs
9 turnovers

Then later they were showing Braxton Millers Stats  (who a lot of folks were saying should have been a Heisman finalist, best player blah blah)
146/231 63.2%
1860 Passing Yds
1033 Rushing Yds
32 Total Tds
9 Turnovers

Except that Nick's numbers came against some pretty damn good defenses.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 12:36:25 PM »
Except that Nick's numbers came against some pretty damn good defenses.

Agreed.  Marshall missed the WCU game, where he surely would have padded those stats a good bit.  (And don't call me Shirley)  To be fair, Miller missed 3 games himself with injury.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions