Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The 80s - the Decade That Made Us

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
The 80s - the Decade That Made Us
« on: April 18, 2013, 04:36:55 PM »
The Corndog and I have been watching this documentary series on NatGeo.  It's 6 parts, and covers the major events of the 80s.  It has been a real trip down memory lane - I was 10 in 1980, so those were the first years I really remember.  Ronald Reagan was the first President I remember in detail.  It covers everything from society and pop culture (Tetris, Charles & Diana, computers, Brat Pack, Dallas, Dynasty, cocaine, women's rights, AIDS) to politics (Reagan, Iran-Contra, terrorism, Middle East, the Cold War and the Soviet Union, fall of The Wall) to tragedy (Challenger, Reagan's assassination attempt, Lennon) to things I had forgotten about (Bernie Goetz the Subway shooter, Baby Jessica down the well in Midland, Jim & Tammy Baaker).  It doesn't run in chronological order, but in kind of themes.  It's well put together, with interviews with journalists and celebs and pseudo celebs and some of the folks who lived the stories providing commentary.  Quite a few of the stories provide backstory that we only know now (Iran-Contra:  the first sign that President Reagan was beginning to struggle with Alzheimers), or can only appreciate with the benefit of hindsight.  For example, they interview the US soldier who smuggled the last two people out of East Germany across Checkpoint Charlie, in the trunk of his car, a few days before the Wall fell.

Gotta admit, seeing Reagan make the "Tear.  Down.  This.  Wall." speech was goosebumpy.  The backstory behind that speech was AMAZING.  Turns out it was written by a 30 year old White House aide, and everyone from the WH senior staff to the State Department vetoed that line.  But Reagan LOVED it - said it was time to put up or shut up - and he overruled them all.  Damn, I miss him.

Think about it - we went into the 80's a demoralized wimpy country with a puss for a President and hostages in Iran.  We ended the 80s as the lone world superpower.  Bigtime change.

Just wondered if anyone else saw it.  It is going to be on again this Saturday back to back starting in the early afternoon, I believe.

For you young whippersnappers, it might be worth a look to help you get some perspective on why folks my age-ish think the way we do.  I know damn good and well that my experiences growing up in the 80s had an impact on the way I feel about things today, and how I view the world.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
Re: The 80s - the Decade That Made Us
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 04:47:09 PM »
I have seen some of it.

We all remember different things from the 80's. (those of us around then). Was on nuke site during this-we usually had drills and status checks to make sure the missiles( Pershing) were ready to fire and then power them down. During this period the missiles were on full fire status which meant crews manned there fire stations 24/7. We were outside on firing pads. November in Germany. We all knew that if we fired to go ahead and kiss our ass goodbye, because our Air-Force or the German Air-force had orders to bomb our sites right after we fired and we all knew this. (Fun times)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Able_Archer_83   
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 04:50:14 PM by dallaswareagle »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 05:32:14 PM »
I was just thinking that when I was 10, we were all afraid of the Soviets nuking the shit out of us.  When I was 20, that was just no longer a concern, and has not been a concern since then - at least not in terms of Mutual Assured Destruction.  Troll Doll jr might - MIGHT - cause damage to the US, but he would be the only one to be totally anhiliated. 

Even China is not viewed as a threat like the Soviets were.  Younger people now have no idea what it was like to live with the constant threat of the Cold War hanging over their heads - one button pushed, one phone call, and it's all over.

There was an episode on this show about a near launch - a weather pattern over the US looked on Soviet radar like five missles were launched.  But the Soviet military officer was rational, and a phone call prevented MAD.  Never knew that.  Suspected it may have happened but never knew for sure.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 06:38:07 AM »
There is one song that makes me think of the Reagan years every time I hear it.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 10:32:03 AM »
I will have to set it up to Record on the DVR.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 11:12:21 AM »
Even China is not viewed as a threat like the Soviets were.  Younger people now have no idea what it was like to live with the constant threat of the Cold War hanging over their heads - one button pushed, one phone call, and it's all over.

We pulled three months out of every year on site-Then Three month in field rotation-Three months as backup for who was on site(which meant we were up on site) To run a drill they would sound a Klaxon and we went to the pads-we never knew if it was a drill or the real deal.

To raise a Pershing Missile with a live warhead ( was considered an act of war) And there were always folks around the site watching us. We use to fuck with them when we pulled patrols, Throw them down-kick'em, take whatever money they had and then radio the German polizei to come get them. I give them credit cause after a while they quit carrying money.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 01:53:35 PM »
The 80s

It was the dawning of a new decade
When we got our first microwave
And Dad broke down and finally shaved
Those sideburns off
I took the stickers off of my Rubix cube
Watched MTV all afternoon
My first love was Daisy Duke
In them cut off jeans
A Space Shuttle fell out of the sky
And the whole world cried.

It was 1980-something
In the world that I grew up in
Skating rinks and Black Trans Ams
Big hair and parachute pants
Lookin' back now I can see me
And oh, man did I look cheesy
But I wouldn't trade those days for nothin'
It was 1980-something

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqIVihHFRdGQAK137w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBvcXNvNnBqBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDVjEzMw--?p=youtube+1970+something&vid=e4f7cb25e6b8615ce9fe12d275540938&l=3%3A27&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DV.4797268977844658%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dsm--KJk-kgw&tit=Mark+Wills+-+19+Somethin%26%2339%3B&c=0&sigr=11a1a0g8o&age=0&fr=yfp-t-900&tt=b

This guy actually lives in my neighborhood. I see him around town often.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.