Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tressel Resigns

Tressel Resigns
« on: May 30, 2011, 10:15:29 AM »
Jim Tressel, head coach of The Ohio State University football program, has resigned, the school said in a press release.

“After meeting with University officials, we agreed that it is in the best interest of Ohio State that I resign as head football coach," Tressel said in a statement.

Assistant coach Luke Fickell will serve as interim coach next season, the school said. The search for a new head coach won't begin until after the 2011-2012 season ends.

The school fined Tressel $250,000 in March and suspended him after learning he failed to acknowledge that some of his players may have violated NCAA rules.

“In consultation with the senior leadership of the Board of Trustees, I have been actively reviewing matters attendant to our football program, and I have accepted Coach Tressel’s resignation,” President E. Gordon Gee said in a statement. “The University’s enduring public purposes and its tradition of excellence continue to guide our actions.”

Ohio State Athletic Director Gene Smith said the school had been investigating Tressel since January.

"Obviously I'm disappointed that this happened at all," Tressel said in a press conference in March. "I take responsibility for what we do at Ohio State tremendously seriously ... and obviously I plan to grow from this. I'm sincerely saddened by the fact that I let some people down, and that I didn't do some things as well as I could possibly do."

Smith on Monday said he was looking forward to a new chapter in Buckeye history.

“We look forward to refocusing the football program on doing what we do best – representing this extraordinary university and its values on the field, in the classroom, and in life,” he said. “We look forward to supporting Luke Fickell in his role as our football coach.  We have full confidence in his ability to lead our football program.”

SI.com’s Stewart Mandel said after Tressel’s fine that it would be hard to imagine Ohio State firing a coach who boasts a national championship and seven Big Ten titles in 10 years.

But as is the case with most big-time college football coaches, Tressel's contract includes a clause stating he could be terminated for failing to speedily report NCAA violations.

Under Tressel’s leadership, Ohio State won a national championship in 2003 and played two other Bowl games. The team has had at least a share of the Big Ten title in all of the past six seasons. The Buckeyes finished last season with a 12-1 record and a Sugar Bowl victory.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/30/jim-tressel-resigns-as-ohio-state-football-coach/
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:16:09 AM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: Tressel Resigns
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 10:27:28 AM »
 :jaw:

Yeah, I would say the shit is fo real for the Buckeyes. It does not look good at all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Xanusus

• Admit it, I'm sexy
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 10:33:41 AM »
Just stay away from Malzahn is all I care about.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 11:13:48 AM »
Id be shocked if they hired ANY assistant coach.  Be curious to see if they go a year under the interem, or go ahead and make the move now. 

Urban Meyer?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 11:16:25 AM »
Be curious to see if this mitigates any NCAA sanctions. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 05:46:14 PM »
Be curious to see if this mitigates any NCAA sanctions.
How about Gary Patterson? No buyout or small if any from several accounts, no bad history, good graduation rate, hungry with a hungry staff and a WINNER!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 06:04:03 PM »
Apparently Pryor is extra special fucked also.  Much more coming out apparently. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 06:28:33 PM »
Apparently Pryor is extra special fucked also.  Much more coming out apparently.
Yeah recruits in an uproar too but they are about 80 % dyed in the wool Bucks.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 09:24:08 PM »

I'm guessing that some of the Juniors and Seniors will now enter the NFL's Supplemental Draft.  It will get uglier for tOSU before it gets better.

SI Report on Tressel
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 09:40:28 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 02:09:17 AM »

I'm guessing that some of the Juniors and Seniors will now enter the NFL's Supplemental Draft.  It will get uglier for tOSU before it gets better.

SI Report on Tressel
That SI article was rough, Tressel's been full of shit since 1985.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 03:01:34 AM »
Would Coach Tuberville be a good replacement???
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 07:03:59 AM »
I vote for Mike Leach.  You realize how much comedy we could get if he had that large of a stage?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 08:13:26 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 08:27:33 AM »
This is what I never understood. 

Maurice detailed all this shit years ago.  He had specifics, named names.
But Tressel wears a sweater and glasses.  He looks so snappy it can't be true.  We'll ignore it and not even bother to check out what Maurice says. 

On another note, as I read the SI story I swapped the name Tressel with Saban and Frontliners with REC and realized that it could read almost exactly the same. 

What those fucks at UA are getting away with is "the worst kept secret in the state"  Difference?  We don't have a state media that will ask even the first question. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 08:40:36 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 08:32:24 AM »

Now he's belly-up, just like the name on that trophy.......
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 12:12:07 PM »
So, when they go back and strip tOSU of their MNC...does that mean Bama gets to......Naaaaa.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 12:35:10 PM »
So, when they go back and strip tOSU of their MNC...does that mean Bama gets to......Naaaaa.

Got 14,999?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 12:40:03 PM »
Got 14,999?

Don't they know..that we have 13..THOUSAND national championships?

Oregon does not know what they are in for.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 12:57:22 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 05:12:17 PM »
And in the middle of all of this, Pryor arrives to a team meeting driving this:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole