Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Preseason Top 25 according to ESPN CFB Live

Preseason Top 25 according to ESPN CFB Live
« on: April 25, 2011, 10:55:33 PM »

The Preseason Top 25 according to the "experts."

1. Oklahoma Sooners
With nine starters back on offense including quarterback Landry Jones and AP First-Team All-American receiver Ryan Broyles, simply put, the Sooners are loaded on that side of the ball. Last season, Jones led the Big 12 in passing yards (4,278) and touchdown passes (38). He also holds seven school records. Speaking of school records, Broyles owns 10 Oklahoma receiving marks, setting nine of them last season. With seven starters returning on defense including linebacker Travis Lewis, the Sooners are the early favorite to win not only the Big 12 title but the BCS championship, as well.

2. Alabama Crimson Tide
Even with the departure of quarterback Greg McElroy, 2009 Heisman winner Mark Ingram, receiver Julio Jones and defensive lineman Marcell Dareus, the Crimson Tide should contend for the national championship once again. Junior running back Trent Richardson returns, which is key since Bama will be breaking in a new quarterback in either third-year sophomore A.J. McCarron or redshirt freshman Phillip Sims. Nine starters are back on defense including linebacker Dont’a Hightower and safety Mark Barron.

3. Oregon Ducks
Seven offensive starters are back for the Ducks including quarterback Darron Thomas and Heisman finalist running back LaMichael James. That backfield duo served as the key cog to the Oregon offensive machine that led the bowl subdivision in scoring, averaging 47 points per game last season. The defense loses six starters, among them First-Team All-Pac-10 linebacker Casey Matthews. However, the Ducks should have enough to contend for their third straight conference title in the new Pac-12.

4. LSU Tigers
With nine starters returning on offense and seven on defense, the Tigers look poised for another run at the SEC and national championships. Senior quarterback Jordan Jefferson returns for his third full season as the starter. He’ll need to be more productive than last year when he passed for 1,411 yards, seven touchdowns and 10 interceptions. To help Jefferson infuse life into an offense that finished 11th in the 12-team SEC, LSU hired former Louisville head coach Steve Kragthorpe as its new offensive coordinator. Even with the loss of Thorpe Award-winning cornerback Patrick Peterson, the LSU defense should still give opposing offenses nightmares.

5. Boise State Broncos
The Broncos' offense and defense each have seven starters returning and none bigger than quarterback and 2010 Heisman Trophy finalist Kellen Moore. With the departure of offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin (Texas) and dynamic receivers Austin Pettis and Titus Young, the senior will be relied upon even more to keep the offense in sync. Senior running back Doug Martin, who rushed for 1,260 yards and 12 TDs last season, also returns. Boise State is making the jump from the WAC to the Mountain West this season.

The rest of the top 25:

6. Florida State
7. Stanford
8. South Carolina
9. Oklahoma State
10. Ohio State
11. Texas A&M
12. Arkansas
13. Nebraska
14. Wisconsin
15. TCU
16. Michigan State
17. Notre Dame
18. Florida
19. Virginia Tech
20. Texas
21. Mississippi State
22. Auburn
23. Missouri
24. West Virginia
25. Arizona State

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/18792/oklahoma-tops-cfb-live-preseason-poll
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: Preseason Top 25 according to ESPN CFB Live
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 11:16:51 PM »
Here's my Preseason Top 25 (SEC only)
5. LSU
8. SPuat
11. USCe
14. Arkansas
19. Florida
20. Auburn
22. MSU
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 12:45:38 AM »
My opinion is bama is way too high. I would def put then in the top 15 but top 5 is stupid. I think bama will be good but those losses will be tougher than expected.

If Auburn is able to escape the injury bug, I do think we will do better than expected, but I do think around 20 is bout right.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 02:27:50 AM »
bama - "Lost just about their entire offense, has a 120lb QB coming in to throw Shotput Pass to...Maze, Hanks and another couple receivers.  Trent is the man at RB (we'll see if he lasts 4 games without somesort of a injury), his backups...well they can run (but so can I).  SPuat's LB corp? Bigger some NFL teams and probably as talented as a few.  SPuat's DBs? Tall, one has straight-line speed, Menzie will be a 1st Round pick next year (provided he doesn't get hurt, of course).  The offense will be worse than the '09 one, as will the Defense (8-4/9-3).  McBrodie or Sims will lose a couple games by themselves.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 09:24:54 AM »
bama - "Lost just about their entire offense, has a 120lb QB coming in to throw Shotput Pass to...Maze, Hanks and another couple receivers.  Trent is the man at RB (we'll see if he lasts 4 games without somesort of a injury), his backups...well they can run (but so can I).  SPuat's LB corp? Bigger some NFL teams and probably as talented as a few.  SPuat's DBs? Tall, one has straight-line speed, Menzie will be a 1st Round pick next year (provided he doesn't get hurt, of course).  The offense will be worse than the '09 one, as will the Defense (8-4/9-3).  McBrodie or Sims will lose a couple games by themselves.
Thats what I was thinking too. Same issues as us but somehow they'll win the National Title. Not saying they CAN'T but you cant paint two different pictures from the same situations.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:05:20 AM »
Thats what I was thinking too. Same issues as us but somehow they'll win the National Title. Not saying they CAN'T but you cant paint two different pictures from the same situations.

You forget they have the all powerful Lord Sabynz.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 10:07:55 AM »
Reminds me of last year when the media compared our QB situation with UF's. Brantley was set to be an improvement over Tebow, while Cam was going to be a complete bust.

We saw how that turned out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 10:33:49 AM »
I think bama is too high and I would swap Oklahoma with LSU.  I seriously think that LSU is going to win it all.  Miles might surprise me and they lay an egg or two, but I kinda doubt it.  Especially if he lets Kragthorpe do his thing.

If bama's young players step up and catch on almost immediately, they will be good, if they don't, they will have a loss or two due to growing pains.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

JR4AU

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 10:37:09 AM »
Reminds me of last year when the media compared our QB situation with UF's. Brantley was set to be an improvement over Tebow, while Cam was going to be a complete bust.

We saw how that turned out.

Only cuz we paid so well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 10:53:24 AM »
Only cuz we paid so well.

When you are buying players it is not how much you spend, but how wise you are with your budget.  We have learned from our mistakes of giving money to injury prone wimps like Chaz Ramsey and now only buy top shelf talent that has shown it's resourcefulness by searching for top discounts on personal electronics.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 12:25:43 PM »
LSU is scary.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 12:32:41 PM »
LSU is scary.

Agreed but they have some pretty big games away.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

djsimp

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 01:10:42 PM »
I haven't looked at other teams depth charts but isn't every team in the SEC West starting new QB's for 2011? Alsi, I think all but three in the East are as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 01:55:43 PM »
Should be a fun year. Could UGA win the East?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 02:03:52 PM »
Nope, USCe will.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 02:06:47 PM »
Yeah, if all the other teams forfeit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 09:45:29 PM »
Nope, USCe will.
[/quote
]Wisconsin and TCU lost 11 or 12 players each.

I think Okie should be the favorite but would love to see Ok. State take 'em out...or even A&M.
The PAC whatever is probably not able to handle Oregon yet.

I also like LSU's O-line. If they can throw enough to offer some balance I like their chances. I don't hear much noise about the RBs though. Arky has more D and I don't see many teams out-scoring them, including Bama. I think they take Alabama down.

Georgia should finish 2nd in the east to So. Car.

They don't think much of Clemson, UCONN, NC State and where is Miami? They always get overblown.

And couldn't Alabama play at least a #10 Penn State to crank up the dominance talk?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 09:03:23 AM »
It would make me happy to see UGA lose 12 games. I hate their fans with a passion.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 09:09:07 AM »
It would make me happy to see UGA lose 12 games. I hate their fans with a passion.

GH agrees.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 09:59:48 AM »
GH agrees.

I concur. Most fickle, whiney assed fans in the conference. I'd like to slap their woulda, coulda, shoulda asses into oblivion. Nobody EVER beats them, they beat themselves.

We lost 59-3 but if Murray hadn't thrown that ONE interception, it woulda been our game I swear!! Damn refs!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:01:36 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE