Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Gruden's QB Camp

JR4AU

Gruden's QB Camp
« on: April 25, 2011, 08:30:20 AM »
Watched it in it's entirety last night.  WOW!  One clip, of which about 10 seconds was used to make Cam look bad that went viral on the net was in no way indicative of Cam's overall performance, and that 10 second clip was mostly misunderstood in the first place.   ESPN aired the overall show where they pieced together all 6 QBs in this draft, and then did a half hour individual on each.  I wached the overall, and Cam's.  Gruden got in to all of them with both good and bad things on tape from their college season.  Cam looked as "smart" as any of them.  He drew up some Xs and Os of a TD pass to Lutz, and talked very well about it, and all the coaching points of the play...his footwork, fake, read, and throw.   As is the usual, the viral vid was yet another attempt to run Cam down, and/or Auburn by association.   

He even grilled him about the final play of the BCS game.  Cam basically said, yeah it was a kneel down call, but the goal line was right there in front of me, I protected the ball, and I had to try to get it in and win the game.  Not a great thing to admit to, but, he gave as good an answer as was possible. 

In comparison, he grilled Andy Dalton about a pass play where he threw in to coverage and nearly got picked.  He asked him his read, and Dalton pointed out his first 2, one of which he threw to that was double covered.   Gruden said, "what's your third read?".  He pointed to the RB in the flat that didn't have anybody within 25 yards of him, literally.  Gruden said "but you just had to try to get the big play and fit it in didn't you?  How much of a big play would you have gotten if you'd hit you're third read?"  Dalton said "he'd probably have gone 30 plus yards."  Basically the same type of deal...not doing what you're coached to do, and trying to make a play doing something risky.  But, Cam gets painted with a different brush every time he speaks or acts.

Cam's on the field drills seemed to leave Gruden very impressed. 

If you can find it scheduled to air again, I recommend watching it.  It was quite entertaining...all the QBs segments had something entertaining and interesting.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
Re: Gruden's QB Camp
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 08:42:43 AM »
It was good. Cam is a freak.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 09:07:15 AM »
Yeah, I just started paying attention to these "Camps" last night. I didn't catch all of Cams but I got it on DVR along with the one on Fairley which I found interesting since he is not a QB. I guess Gruden could't resist.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 09:24:27 AM »
I like Gruden. He needs to be coaching somewhere. He's a mad genius IMHO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 09:36:25 AM »
I like Gruden. He needs to be coaching somewhere. He's a mad genius IMHO.

Don't know about mad genius, but he's an intense coach, and he relates well to players IMHO.  Very good coach.  Needs to be in a situation where he's allowed to coach, not be a yes man.  He's fun to watch, and listen to him talk Xs and Os.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 09:41:37 AM »
Yeah, I like Gruden a lot. This guy can coach. I'm also loving his promotion of the FFCA. "Fired Football Coaches Association".  :bugs:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 09:42:14 AM »
Watched it in it's entirety last night.  WOW!  One clip, of which about 10 seconds was used to make Cam look bad that went viral on the net was in no way indicative of Cam's overall performance, and that 10 second clip was mostly misunderstood in the first place.   ESPN aired the overall show where they pieced together all 6 QBs in this draft, and then did a half hour individual on each.  I wached the overall, and Cam's.  Gruden got in to all of them with both good and bad things on tape from their college season.  Cam looked as "smart" as any of them.  He drew up some Xs and Os of a TD pass to Lutz, and talked very well about it, and all the coaching points of the play...his footwork, fake, read, and throw.   As is the usual, the viral vid was yet another attempt to run Cam down, and/or Auburn by association.   

He even grilled him about the final play of the BCS game.  Cam basically said, yeah it was a kneel down call, but the goal line was right there in front of me, I protected the ball, and I had to try to get it in and win the game.  Not a great thing to admit to, but, he gave as good an answer as was possible. 

In comparison, he grilled Andy Dalton about a pass play where he threw in to coverage and nearly got picked.  He asked him his read, and Dalton pointed out his first 2, one of which he threw to that was double covered.   Gruden said, "what's your third read?".  He pointed to the RB in the flat that didn't have anybody within 25 yards of him, literally.  Gruden said "but you just had to try to get the big play and fit it in didn't you?  How much of a big play would you have gotten if you'd hit you're third read?"  Dalton said "he'd probably have gone 30 plus yards."  Basically the same type of deal...not doing what you're coached to do, and trying to make a play doing something risky.  But, Cam gets painted with a different brush every time he speaks or acts.

Cam's on the field drills seemed to leave Gruden very impressed. 

If you can find it scheduled to air again, I recommend watching it.  It was quite entertaining...all the QBs segments had something entertaining and interesting.

This!  Every stinkin' bit of it. 

DVR'rd the Fairley one as well and will watch it tonight.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

JR4AU

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 11:22:54 AM »
I didn't see this, probably because like so many stories like it, it gets buried quickly on al.com.  The fact that it's positive about Cam, and only generated 20 something comments over 4 days tells me this story barely saw the light of day. 

Gruden: Newton was most impressive quarterback on QB Camp

By Mike Herndon, Press-Register al.com

ESPN analyst and former NFL head coach Jon Gruden downplayed a sequence of his "QB Camp" segment with Auburn's Cam Newton on ESPN in which Newton could not give him an example of the verbiage of an Auburn play call.

"You're putting me on the spot," Newton said in the segment. Then, when Gruden conceded that plays weren't called in the huddle at Auburn, Newton added: "We really don't. Our method is: Simplistic equals fast."

In a teleconference earlier this week, Gruden said Newton was the most impressive of the top quarterback prospects he interviewed and showed good retention of the material they covered.

"It's not his fault that they don't huddle," Gruden said of the Tigers. "Cam Newton will learn quickly what to call formations, what to call shifts, what to call motions. ... What he's got to get ready for right away is learning the terminology and how to spit these plays out clearly, quickly, and get the team up to the line of scrimmage where he has time to deal."

Pressed to pick a player he believes the Carolina Panthers will take with the No. 1 overall pick, Gruden chose Newton.

"I just like the look in his eyes, the eagerness and the feeling that he has a lot to prove to everybody, including himself," Gruden said. "I don't think it's going to happen overnight. But this is the kind of guy you're looking for."

Gruden said the addition of Newton to a running game that already includes DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart could be very attractive, and added that Newton has the deep-ball accuracy for the vertical game favored by new Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski.

"I think he does have touch on the deep throws," Gruden said of Newton. "His down-the-field accuracy at times is outstanding.  He had some deep balls drop this year that were right on the money.

"I think it's a matter of him learning and getting conditioned to what the coach wants him to do, and he can do it.  This guy has tremendous ability."

Seems Gruden disagrees with the "football experts" like Brando, Finebaum, and Shane.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 12:53:07 PM »
I didn't see this, probably because like so many stories like it, it gets buried quickly on al.com.  The fact that it's positive about Cam, and only generated 20 something comments over 4 days tells me this story barely saw the light of day. 

Seems Gruden disagrees with the "football experts" like Brando, Finebaum, and Shane.

Who's gonna take one of Cam's bullets away from him? 

Ya'll are acting like Cam has been oppressed or something. 

He had a horrible one-on-one interview with Gruden.  He made up for it a little with the rest of the stuff, but shirlley you have to admit that 'you gonna put me on the spot' isn't really a good answer.  And the bullets analagy was pretty rough to.

At least he isn't a meth head. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 12:56:18 PM »

If he was, he'd be the best damn meth head to ever pick crystals out of his skin.  You can take that to the bank.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 01:00:14 PM »
If he was, he'd be the best damn meth head to ever pick crystals out of his skin.  You can take that to the bank.

But his smile would no longer impregnate women. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 01:29:58 PM »

Where would we ever get that idea?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 01:32:51 PM »
Who's going to take one of Cam's bullets away from him? 

Y'all are acting like Cam has been oppressed or something. 

He had a few bad answers during the one-on-one interview with Gruden.  He was impressive with the rest of the interview, but you have to admit that responding with 'you gonna put me on the spot' isn't really a good answer.  The bullets analogy was pretty rough too.

Clarity is not your friend. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 01:33:57 PM »
Who's gonna take one of Cam's bullets away from him? 

He had a horrible one-on-one interview with Gruden.  He made up for it a little with the rest of the stuff, but shirlley you have to admit that 'you gonna put me on the spot' isn't really a good answer.  And the bullets analagy was pretty rough to.

He (insert Cam, Pike, and Frazier) obviously isn't smart enough to fit in BMFP's system.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

djsimp

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 01:35:22 PM »
But his smile would no longer impregnate women.

Smile or not, he still has his Cammy Cam Juice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 01:53:39 PM »
He (insert Cam, Pike, and Frazier) obviously isn't smart enough to fit in BMFP's system.
Never said any of that, and never have.  I would love to have Frazier, and/or Pike.  Never even brought up Petrino vs. (insert guy you feel you need to defend here)

AND Cam is going to be the #1 pick in the draft, probably. 

I was just trying to point out that you guys are grousing over what people are saying about Cam, when he really did sound pretty bad. 

I believe Mallett has gotten a bunch more shit thrown at him than Cam.  But Mallett's my boy, and I really could care less about Cam. 

Lighten up a smidge. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 01:55:34 PM »
Clarity is not your friend.

I could maybe round up a venn diagram for you or something. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 02:29:54 PM »

I could maybe round up a venn diagram for you or something.

Who is Venn and why do you have her diaphragm?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 02:34:24 PM »
Never said any of that, and never have.  I would love to have Frazier, and/or Pike.  Never even brought up Petrino vs. (insert guy you feel you need to defend here)

AND Cam is going to be the #1 pick in the draft, probably. 

I was just trying to point out that you guys are grousing over what people are saying about Cam, when he really did sound pretty bad. 

I believe Mallett has gotten a bunch more shit thrown at him than Cam.  But Mallett's my boy, and I really could care less about Cam. 

Lighten up a smidge.
I was messing with you via all the crap I read from Woopig.  Either way, I didn't think Cam's interview was that bad...and the same goes for Mallett.  I still do not understand why these two guys are getting so much shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 02:39:43 PM »
I was messing with you via all the crap I read from Woopig.  Either way, I didn't think Cam's interview was that bad...and the same goes for Mallett.  I still do not understand why these two guys are getting so much poop.

Ah yes.  Teh woopig.  That explains a lot. 

Who is Venn and why do you have her diaphragm?

Venn is her middle name.  It's commanche, I believe. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions