Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Eric Smith Dismissed

jmar

Re: Eric Smith Dismissed
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 10:50:40 AM »
I think most of you got it right, Lutz will see more H-back play to add to his role. I agree with Prowler too, Uzomah will have a huge chance to come in and get significant playing time. The one I am curious about is LT. Give that sombitch the ball, shit. Let him steam roll some suckas.
It's very possible that he might find his way in the backfield as a two down, short yardage guy. Don't have experience returning on the OL so I guess he'll get a good look as his own battering ram. If Phillips gets started he looks a beast against high school midgets but I think a team with good size up front had rather see Auburn use this approach as opposed to guessing what Gus will do. It brings a tear to my eye knowing that I may never see a Rudy Johnson at Auburn again. Ahem, figureatively of course.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 10:58:49 AM »
I'm not getting this football thing any longer.  Somebody draw me a picture.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

jmar

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 11:20:12 AM »

This is all I got for now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 11:21:17 AM »
Now wait just a danggone minute. 

Last year I said it would be hard to replace Tate and Todd who accounted for about 80% of the offensive production.  I was ridiculed.  I was also wrong. 

But now you're telling me we can't replace Eric Smith?  THIS is the epic disaster?

I'm not getting this football thing any longer.  Somebody draw me a picture.

Last year we knew we were bringing in a QB with experience (not just in juco, but in the SEC as well; how often do you get to say that?) plus we had O-Mac, Fannin, and Smith returning along with the #1 RB recruit in the country who had as close to a SEC ready physique coming out of high school as you are going to get.

This year we have a QB who should be intimately familiar with the system.  One thing about Gus's offense, it is a system offense like the run and shoot was or the BYU air it out O of the 80's.  It will allow a QB with non-exceptional talent (like Todd or hopefully Trotter) to put up gaudier numbers than one  might expect.  To me QB is not a major area of concern.

RB depth coupled with the fact that we will be integrating a new offensive line might be.  We are really returning two tackles with starting experience, plus Reese Dismukes has enrolled early and will get the added benefit of spring practice to move into the center slot.  We will have to pull a guard out of our freshmen class because the starter and backup at both guard slots were seniors last year.  Maybe Burgess could stick at center and Dismukes moves to guard or vice versa?

I'm still concerned that neither or our returning RB's have shown themselves to be good receivers which was a cruicial part of our offense lat year (Fannin was 4th on the team in receptions; O-Mac and Dyer both got way more field time and combined for 8 receptions; for the talk of Smith being a receiving threat he only had 5 catches for 49yds and 0TD). 

I agree with the people who are saying that Smith can be replaced.  I get the feeling that he was just an all around bad seed.  His unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in the NC game was more embarrassing than all Fairley's so called dirty plays for the whole year combined.  Fannin can be replaced as well but it will have to be by committee. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 11:22:33 AM »

On further thought, Godfather presents a much more compelling post than anything anyone has come up with, ever.  What was the original topic about?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

jmar

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 11:31:22 AM »
On further thought, Godfather presents a much more compelling post than anything anyone has come up with, ever.  What was the original topic about?
i could add some wrinkle lines and crows feet and failed gravity to mine if need be.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 11:33:17 AM »
i could add some wrinkle lines and crows feet and failed gravity to mine if need be.

All I can see of yours is a red X.  Stupid firewall.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 11:39:16 AM »
Barrett Trotter (Kiehl Frazier as well) is not Cam Newton.  He can't and won't run the way Cam Newton ran, and we won't have any where near the same running game.

While Eric Smith will be missed in certain situations, Lutz is a much better target in the passing game, which I honestly believe is going to open up this year. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 11:44:18 AM »
First off, O-Mac is 136 pounds with his pads on...soaking wet.  He ain't blocking anybody. Ladarious Phillips has never played a down and while he may be an obvious short yardage load at 290, who knows if he's fast enough to get to, or can even recognize an SEC DE comig around the end?  This just concerns me because we're talking about moving guys from other positions to "learn" Smith's (a 3 year player) position.  Again, the bigger concern is injuries.  We were beyond lucky in the injury department last year.  RB is probably the one position where we can least afford to get someone banged up for any length of time.  We ain't rollin' any deep at that position.

There was a reason they limited Eric Smith's role.  He was a beast of a  blocker and there was no need to run him as long as we had Tate the year before and Dyer/O-Mac getting it done this year.  But he more than proved what he could do as a freshman both running the ball and coming out of the backfield as a receiver.  If Dyer goes down, I'd feel a lot more comfortable handing the ball off to a 240 pound, senior with that kind of experience, than I would putting O-Mac or true freshman Tre Mason back there as your feature back.  Or Hooper....or Cooper..or Perry or whoever that guy is. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2011, 12:12:29 PM »
Check with Kaos - may need a bigger nose too
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »
Snag...

If the injury bug hits, it always hurts.  We have a very good and experienced tandem in Dyet and Omac.  They will get the bulk of the work.  Trey Mason will play.  Lad Phillips may contribute at H, as will Lutz and maybe Dakota Mosley.  We will be fine, and we are not in dire straights at RB.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 12:19:28 PM »
Snag...

If the injury bug hits, it always hurts.  We have a very good and experienced tandem in Dyet and Omac.  They will get the bulk of the work.  Trey Mason will play.  Lad Phillips may contribute at H, as will Lutz and maybe Dakota Mosley.  We will be fine, and we are not in dire straights at RB.

Why do you hate Sultans of Swing
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 12:32:32 PM »
Why do you hate Sultans of Swing

Cuz, the little faggot, he's a millionaire.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 12:33:59 PM »
Cuz, the little faggot, he's a millionaire.

You can't say that.  Now edit yourself...or maybe take out that entire verse.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 01:04:22 PM »
Eric Smith dismissed????? People Stampeded and cattle raped.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2011, 12:15:05 AM »
And I am guessing this gets us into the Fulmer Cup race...

AUBURN - Former Auburn running back Eric Smith was arrested for third degree domestic violence on Feb. 22, six days before the university confirmed he was dismissed from the team for a violation of team rules.

Smith spent almost 12 hours at the Lee County Detention Center before being released on a $500 bond. The police report said Smith was sober and did not resist arrest. The university did not say when Smith was dismissed from the team.

Smith was also arrested for third degree assault before the 2009 season for striking another university student. Smith received youthful offender status in that case. He was suspended for a game.

Smith's role during Auburn's 2010 national championship run was primarily as a blocking back. He had one carry for zero yards for the season.

He rushed for 182 yards as a freshman and sophomore.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2011, 07:00:17 AM »
CJ Uzomah 6'5" 240lbs. can fill that role.  "The Rhino" can fill that role too.  Also, we have 3 OL with starting experience.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2011, 09:28:52 AM »
CJ Uzomah 6'5" 240lbs. can fill that role.  "The Rhino" can fill that role too.  Also, we have 3 OL with starting experience.
The Rhino makes more sense as Uzomah is a bit tall and a former QB that might not be serviceable as a battering ram, not one to engage as a rule.
LP is about 25-50 pounds too heavy to be effective on the field for 30-40 plays.

Eric Smith is going to be missed because he was a grinder and fit that mold at 5-10ish and 225+.

That won't stop Malzahn. That's no dilemma. And short LBs and smallish DEs that have a motor and love contact are out there...maybe on the team already. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2011, 09:34:37 AM »
And I am guessing this gets us into the Fulmer Cup race...
Funny, I don't remember ever hearing about the first two DV arrests in the news.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2011, 09:36:22 AM »
Funny, I don't remember ever hearing about the first two DV arrests in the news.

I don't know about 2 other DV arrests but his original sin was chasing down a dude in a nightclub and knockin' that bitch out.  Well publicized.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions