Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Eric Smith Dismissed

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
Eric Smith Dismissed
« on: February 28, 2011, 09:51:33 PM »
Hey everyone.

Eric Smith, Auburn’s most versatile back, has been dismissed from the Auburn team for a violation of team rules. An athletic department spokesman confirmed the information Monday night.

The rising senior was no stranger to off-the-field issues. He was arrested for assault in August 2009 after hitting a student in the head. Though Smith was granted youthful offender status and didn’t face the criminal charge, he missed the Outback Bowl a few months later because of academic issues.

Smith emerged as a useful role player in 2010. He was used as a block-first back who cleared space on wide runs and short pass plays.

http://madvertiserblogs.com/HABOTN/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: Eric Smith Dismissed
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:02:51 PM »
I guess Anthony Morgan-Gulley will be moving back to RB & CJ Uzomah will be planted at the HB position.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:30:02 PM »
I saw that on al.com too. Well, it really sucks cause I like Smith but it is what it is now. I mean, if you've already been in the doghouse once, its probably wise to do all you can to stay outta there in the future.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 07:16:45 AM »
I really thought he was going to shine after his freshman year but he just could not seem to get out of the doghouse long term.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 08:10:31 AM »
Some just can't ever seem to learn how to make proper decisions.  I hate it, but we'll be fine.  Good blocker,decent hands, but replacable.  Good luck to him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 09:30:46 AM »
Some just can't ever seem to learn how to make proper decisions.  I hate it, but we'll be fine.  Good blocker,decent hands, but replacable.  Good luck to him.

Problem is....replacable with who?...or whom?...I never get that one right.

RB Depth Chart goes:

Dyer
O'Mac
Ladarious Phillips 290 lb. never seen the field could be a fullback..probably a back up DT
Some walk on named Hooper or Cooper or Perry or some shit
Tre Mason 180 lb. true freshman
A couple of incoming freshmen who might be running backs, athletes, LB's, DB's or WR's.

Smith didn't carry the ball much but we were certainly going to need him to be a bigger part of the O....plus, he's a beast in teh blockage.  This hurts! 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

chinook

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 09:34:24 AM »

RB Depth Chart goes:

Dyer
O'Mac
Ladarious Phillips 290 lb. never seen the field could be a fullback..probably a back up DT
A couple of incoming freshmen who might be running backs, athletes, LB's, DB's or WR's.

Smith didn't carry the ball much but we were certainly going to need him to be a bigger part of the O....plus, he's a beast in teh blockage.  This hurts! 

we've got more depth at deep snapper.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 09:34:52 AM »
we've got more depth at deep snapper.

This man knows
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 09:37:38 AM »

RB Depth Chart goes:

Dyer
O'Mac
Some walk on named Hooper or Cooper or Perry or some poop

Lutzy had better be bulking up.  He came in for Smith a lot at H-Back.  If he could develop as a blocker he would also be helping his own NFL stock.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 09:40:28 AM »
Lutzy had better be bulking up.  He came in for Smith a lot at H-Back.  If he could develop as a blocker he would also be helping his own NFL stock.
I think we're about to see Ladarious steamroll some mofos.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 09:47:51 AM »

RB Depth Chart goes:

Dyer
O'Mac

Trust me, he can be replaced.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 09:56:52 AM »
I think most of you got it right, Lutz will see more H-back play to add to his role. I agree with Prowler too, Uzomah will have a huge chance to come in and get significant playing time. The one I am curious about is LT. Give that sombitch the ball, shit. Let him steam roll some suckas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 10:04:43 AM »
Trust me, he can be replaced.

Snaggle...JR is referring to the annual spring football production of Fiddler on the Roof...Its not like Smith was going to play Topol.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 10:15:03 AM »

He's good:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 10:15:14 AM »
I disagree on just automatically assuming he can be replaced and more or less, downplaying his role in this offense.  First off, we're talking about might be's and could be's and guys changing positions to fill in.  Do you really want Lutz to move from TE, where he had become one of the best at that position in this league by season's end?  Are you sure it would be a successful move?  Smith has played 3 years at the position and understood blitz pick ups and overall blocking schemes. Can someone just step in and keep guys off of Fro-throw? 

And please, spare me the "I've watched film on the guy and he wasn't..."  No you haven't and he wouldn't have been the starter all season on the national championship team if he wasn't really good.

I don't think most people realize how this team is one pulled hamstring, one tweaked knee away from being in a world of shit at the RB position.   

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 10:27:19 AM »
I disagree on just automatically assuming he can be replaced and more or less, downplaying his role in this offense.  First off, we're talking about might be's and could be's and guys changing positions to fill in.  Do you really want Lutz to move from TE, where he had become one of the best at that position in this league by season's end?  Are you sure it would be a successful move?  Smith has played 3 years at the position and understood blitz pick ups and overall blocking schemes. Can someone just step in and keep guys off of Fro-throw? 

And please, spare me the "I've watched film on the guy and he wasn't..."  No you haven't and he wouldn't have been the starter all season on the national championship team if he wasn't really good.

I don't think most people realize how this team is one pulled hamstring, one tweaked knee away from being in a world of shit at the RB position.

He was listed on the depth chart as a WR.  His role was as an H Back...primarily a blocker.  His skills can be coached.  He was good at hus job, and most dont even recognize that, but the can find another guy that can and will block.  Probably from the TEs. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 10:33:10 AM »

I don't think most people realize how this team is one pulled hamstring, one tweaked knee away from being in a world of poop at the RB position.

I think the individual player we might end up missing the most from last season (with the obvious exception of Cam) might be Fannin.  He had trouble hanging on to the ball but he was everything you could ask for as a third down back: an exceptional blocker in pass protection, speed to take a swing or screen to the house, and good enough hands that he could not be ignored downfield.  Who is going to fill those roles?  O-Mac has the speed but I recall him missing a few blocks.  I don't know how good a receiver Dyer is ready to be, plus he will need a breather and the best place to get it will most likely be in 3rd and 5+.  Freshmen running backs never have the blocking skills you need to be put in on passing downs.

I'm not as worried about replacing the graduating linemen or the loss of Fairley or even Cam as I am about our depth at RB.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Homer Samford

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 10:39:59 AM »
Gang, I'm not worried and here is why. Auburn won the National Championship. That means they are one of the top programs. Do I expect them to do it every year? No, that's unrealistic. What I expect is to be in the hunt and have to rebuild from time to time. Next year is a rebuild year and that's fine with me because they'll have to call Auburn the Defending National Champions all year. At least, they better do that because they blew that line of sunshine up Bama's butt every single week.

Future is bright, folks. Enjoy basking in the glory and smacking Bammer's ego like a game of whack-a-mole.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 10:40:31 AM »
I think the individual player we might end up missing the most from last season (with the obvious exception of Cam) might be Fannin.  He had trouble hanging on to the ball but he was everything you could ask for as a third down back: an exceptional blocker in pass protection, speed to take a swing or screen to the house, and good enough hands that he could not be ignored downfield.  Who is going to fill those roles?  O-Mac has the speed but I recall him missing a few blocks.  I don't know how good a receiver Dyer is ready to be, plus he will need a breather and the best place to get it will most likely be in 3rd and 5+.  Freshmen running backs never have the blocking skills you need to be put in on passing downs.

I'm not as worried about replacing the graduating linemen or the loss of Fairley or even Cam as I am about our depth at RB.

Fannin good blocker.  Replacable...maybe with a guy you can trust with the ball.  The OLs inexperience is the biggest thing we will misd, other than Cam.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 10:49:54 AM »
Now wait just a danggone minute. 

Last year I said it would be hard to replace Tate and Todd who accounted for about 80% of the offensive production.  I was ridiculed.  I was also wrong. 

But now you're telling me we can't replace Eric Smith?  THIS is the epic disaster?

I'm not getting this football thing any longer.  Somebody draw me a picture. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.